Kelly MCL / ‘90 vs Giants

drummernut74

Yesterday’s Von injury is reminiscent to me of JK back in ‘90 against the Giants (for those of us old enough to remember it). 

We were evolving into a contender that year, and Jim went down on a sack against the Giants, right around this part of the season. I vividly remember him kicking around in a circle and writhing in pain on the turf, after someone collapsed into the side of his leg. My heart went up in my throat. That was the first info I learned of ACL vs MCL etc (at age 16 lol)

He returned 6 weeks later for the ‘91 playoff games against Miami and the Raiders to take us to XXV

…. I sensed something very different about our team yesterday after that win and watching McD’s locker room speech. Like … the lightbulb about “just find a way” completely went on, and who gives a ***** how we win. 

Maybe it’s just me, but something feels like it’s coming together in a very different and unusual way for us  

I’d love to hear everyone’s opinions 

Edited by drummernut74
  • Like (+1) 10

3 hours ago, drummernut74 said:

Yesterday’s Von injury is reminiscent to me of JK back in ‘90 against the Giants (for those of us old enough to remember it). 

We were evolving into a contender that year, and Jim went down on a sack against the Giants, right around this part of the season. I vividly remember him kicking around in a circle and writhing in pain on the turf, after someone collapsed into the side of his leg. My heart went up in my throat. That was the first info I learned of ACL vs MCL etc (at age 16 lol)

He returned 6 weeks later for the ‘91 playoff games against Miami and the Raiders to take us to XXV

…. I sensed something very different about our team yesterday after that win and watching McD’s locker room speech. Like … the lightbulb about “just find a way” completely went on, and who gives a ***** how we win. 

Maybe it’s just me, but something feels like it’s coming together in a very different and unusual way for us  

That was an MCL for Kelly and he returned 4 weeks later for the playoffs. The Bills had a critical game at home the week after the injury vs MIA essentially for the AFCE title. Frank Reich played in place of Kelly and got the win, leaving just a meaningless season finale @ Washington then the bye before the eventual SB run. While Miller has a meniscus and not MCL,  hopefully he can return for the playoff run. It’s similar in that they’ll be fighting for  the AFCE title without him. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, drummernut74 said:

Was it 6 weeks later? That happened in week 15. Reich started weeks 16 and 17 and Kelly came back after a first round bye and probably would have played the Wild Card had the Bills played that week. So he came back 4 weeks later. Not 6

• Like (+1) 4

I’ve got a few thoughts.

1. I’ve thought for about 1/2 the year now that this offense is going to have to carry this team. Not that it doesn’t already, but the defense is to the point where you wonder if they can get healthy at any point this year. 

2. With the lack of anything easy over the middle, Beckham would jumpstart the explosive facet of the offense.

3. I think the Bills need to continue working on increasing the use of the run game a bit more and balancing out the effort from half to half. It looks like the Bills will be using Singletary and Cook going forward, so that target carry count should be 20-22 combined. 

• Agree 1

I think we will come out of this thing stronger because of all the adversity. My only fear is the defense. We aren’t stopping teams on 3rd down and we seem to be exposed without Hyde. I do however think this season will end up building a lot of character and could be the thing that finally gets us over the hump. Just have to ride out this storm and hit our stride in the playoffs 

8 hours ago, RichRiderBills said:

Honestly if we get Edmunds and Rousseau back we will be ok. 

We def need the closer for January though.

Yeah agreed, and I don't see it.  KC is better than they were last year.   Bills are about the same / or worse without Von Miller and Brian Daboll.   and the AFC will go through KC again and we know how that will probably go.  

• Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, ProcessTruster said:

Yeah agreed, and I don't see it.  KC is better than they were last year.   Bills are about the same / or worse without Von Miller and Brian Daboll.   and the AFC will go through KC again and we know how that will probably go.  

I disagree. The middle of the Bills defense is waaay better than last season. If the Bills can get consistent play from the slot receiver, minus Von, they can still beat KC with a healthy remainder of the defense. Tre, Edmunds, Poyer and Rousseau returns during the playoff push can get them by

it depends on the sprain/degree of the tear - Von had right knee sprain in 2019 as well as right ACL tear in 2013...he is 33 as well...of course he could get a platelet rich plasma injection into the area possibly ?  which may or may not happen and or be reported as well..

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/21979-mcl-tear

3 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

Let's just forfeit now, then.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It was nowhere near this part of the season. It happened in week 14 of a 16 game schedule.  He missed two games only one of which mattered then came back after the bye week for the first playoff game. He stayed on the sidelines after the injury and there is a video of him celebrating and hopping up and then wincing in pain when he landed back down. 

15 hours ago, drummernut74 said:

I'm not old to remember it but I watched that game on Youtube being a nostalgia fan.

What I found enraging was it sounded like there were Giant fans cheering that day when he went down.  Giant fans always point to Eagles fans as being degenerates for booing Michael Irvin when they had to cart him off the field but they are no better.  I mean at least on that day.  

Edited by Another Fan
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Jim Kelly is Josh Allen.

J in the first name.

Two LL’s & one E in the last name.

Jim Kelly wore 12, Josh wears 17. A difference of 5. The Bills are looking to reach their 5th SB.

The closer you look at this stuff the more spooky similarities you find.

Also, Jim Kelly starred in the movie Hot Potato, Josh won the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl

eWH-_y?w=408&h=583

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.