Matt Rhule to Nebraska?

Low Positive

11 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I just saw on the ESPN bottom line that the Huskers are closing in on a Matt Rhule hire. Why would either side want that?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/nebraska-eyes-matt-rhule-as-coach-cornhuskers-nearing-agreement-with-ex-carolina-panthers-boss-per-report/amp/

He was an elite college coach at Baylor. It would be a huge upgrade for Nebraska. As for Rhule, not a bad program to go to. The Big Ten is more fun when Nebraska is good. If true I hope he can help turn things around. I never thought Frost would turn out as bad as he did after what he did with UCF. 

30 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

He was an elite college coach at Baylor. It would be a huge upgrade for Nebraska. As for Rhule, not a bad program to go to. The Big Ten is more fun when Nebraska is good. If true I hope he can help turn things around. I never thought Frost would turn out as bad as he did after what he did with UCF. 

I just don't see how anybody can recruit to Nebraska enough to compete in the B1G. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I just don't see how anybody can recruit to Nebraska enough to compete in the B1G. 

According on how much NIL money Nebraska can get. Sadly that's what it's come down to, Nebraska has to have some old money boosters from the glory days.

They will come up with the money or be middle of the road at best. Auburn is using their 13M/year NIL money in their pitches to potential head coaches. 🤷

On 11/25/2022 at 4:13 PM, KzooMike said:

He was a good coach... not sure about "elite". He managed to take them from 1-11 to 11-3 in his 3 seasons. Baylor won 40 games the previous 4 years before they hired him (actually 39-13). He went 8-17 in his first two years before his one big year of 11-3. 

So not sure he was "elite". What Scott Frost did at UCF was more impressive IMO. Before they hired Frost, they went 0-12. Took them from 0-12 to 6-7 then a perfect 13-0 in just two years. That was way more impressive than what Rhule did.

10 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

He was a good coach... not sure about "elite". He managed to take them from 1-11 to 11-3 in his 3 seasons. Baylor won 40 games the previous 4 years before they hired him (actually 39-13). He went 8-17 in his first two years before his one big year of 11-3. 

So not sure he was "elite". What Scott Frost did at UCF was more impressive IMO. Before they hired Frost, they went 0-12. Took them from 0-12 to 6-7 then a perfect 13-0 in just two years. That was way more impressive than what Rhule did.

Prior to Art Briles Baylor competed with Kansas as the worst team in the Big 12. Briles tenure ended with a sexual assault scandal that left the program in shambles. All coaches and the AD were dismissed. Most of the team left. That is what Matt Rhule inherited. Scott Frost inherited a UCF program that had a history of winning for over a decade in a softer conference. They happened to be coming off the worst year they had in program history. For Baylor, losing was just normal until Art Briles and RG3.

Frost coached two whole years at UCF, with one exceptional season then proceeded to become the laughing stock of the Big 10. The literal pinnacle of ineptitude. While Rhule restored Baylor back to the level Briles had built in a major conference. Rhule should have never got the NFL job. Almost none of these NFL jobs work out for the CFB guys. But Frost failed once he reached the level Rhule already succeeded in. It's not a comparison to me. It's not as if Nebraska wasn't a talented team.   

Edited by KzooMike

11 hours ago, KzooMike said:

Prior to Art Briles Baylor competed with Kansas as the worst team in the Big 12. Briles tenure ended with a sexual assault scandal that left the program in shambles. All coaches and the AD were dismissed. Most of the team left. That is what Matt Rhule inherited. Scott Frost inherited a UCF program that had a history of winning for over a decade in a softer conference. They happened to be coming off the worst year they had in program history. For Baylor, losing was just normal until Art Briles and RG3.

Frost coached two whole years at UCF, with one exceptional season then proceeded to become the laughing stock of the Big 10. The literal pinnacle of ineptitude. While Rhule restored Baylor back to the level Briles had built in a major conference. Rhule should have never got the NFL job. Almost none of these NFL jobs work out for the CFB guys. But Frost failed once he reached the level Rhule already succeeded in. It's not a comparison to me. It's not as if Nebraska wasn't a talented team.   

I'm not ripping on Rhule and I'm not saying Baylor wasn't a joke prior to Briles, I'm a Big XII guy so I've watched Baylor up close for nearly 30 years. Actually had a friend play and start at MLB for the Bears in the mid-90s (Tony Tubbs).

I just disagree with the "elite" label. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.