Week 13: Bills at Pats on TNF

YoloinOhio

Last week Buffalo got two assists with losses by Baltimore and Tennessee thereby increasing their leads on them.

This IS the week it could all change. 

If Buffalo can win on Thursday it puts pressure on Miami, NYJ and KC who all have tough matchups @SF, @MIN and @CIN..

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PaattMaann said:

actual practice reps will help them develop chemistry, something they havent had in a month

This isn't a matter of ***** chemistry.  This is a matter of getting it through your thick rookie RB head that you Can Not Lie to your QB that late in the play.

As Beasley once said, after I give Josh body language about how I'm going to run it, I need to run it that way even if I see something else during the play.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Wonder if this staff utilizes a shorter passing game this week, not because of Allen's "compromised" elbow, but because our OT situation is even more horrific than normal. 

This is an interesting question.  In their piece about the Vikings, Cover1 made the point that of late there have been deep routes and short routes and not a lot of anything in between.

Given Dawkins is likely out (or compromised if he's in) part of me would like to see us try the offense we unrolled against the Browns, with heavy sets and 2 RBs at times and just smashing it.  Both Brown and Quessenberry are better run blockers than pass blockers.

Here are passing charts for the last 3 games.  If you are Belicheck, what do you hone in on to defend?  What part of the field do you say "no worries"?

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Edited by Beck Water

49 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

They practiced in full yesterday...I would hope that is more than "heading in a good direction"

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This is an interesting question.  In their piece about the Vikings, Cover1 made the point that of late there have been deep routes and short routes and not a lot of anything in between.

Here are passing charts for the last 3 games.  If you are Belicheck, what do you hone in on to defend?  What part of the field do you say "no worries"?

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

Capture2.JPG

With Allen there is NO part of the field you can say that with.  On any play in any situation he can get the ball to any spot on the field.  That's what makes him and Mahomes so dangerous.

17 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Ah yes...back when the Pats used to be bottom dwellers in the AFC East along with Indy...wait...they are still bottom dwellers.  Nevermind. 😂

2 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Good question but it begs another question, i.e. why does the Bills defensive coaching staff often lack a discernible and specific strategy to shut down an opponent's offense.

I think it's the philosophy. Look no further than the % of snaps we are in Nickel defense. Focus all energy  (practice, signings, everything!) on doing what we do best. Of course they have game-specific and player-specific plans within that philosophy on a week-to-week basis, but I think there is a conscious effort to not forget this leading principle ("this is who we are, go ahead and try and beat it consistently."). 

Edited by Nineforty
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HopelessNJBuffaloFan said:

One word for that: Judon

Last year the Bills and Josh absolutely abused Judon.  Saw a good breakdown of it.  They would chip him with a back or TE and get Judon to rush inside.  Then Josh would run a sweep to his side.  It happened several times for a lot of yards.  Eventually Judon actually started stepping backward at the snap to prevent getting pinned and was not much of a factor.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

This isn't a matter of ***** chemistry.  This is a matter of getting it through your thick rookie RB head that you Can Not Lie to your QB that late in the play.

As Beasley once said, after I give Josh body language about how I'm going to run it, I need to run it that way even if I see something else during the play.

breeding that kind of instinct and intuition takes time. I don’t disagree with your point, but in Cook’s defense he’s a rookie. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, fergie's ire said:

Last year the Bills and Josh absolutely abused Judon.  Saw a good breakdown of it.  They would chip him with a back or TE and get Judon to rush inside.  Then Josh would run a sweep to his side.  It happened several times for a lot of yards.  Eventually Judon actually started stepping backward at the snap to prevent getting pinned and was not much of a factor.

They’ll probably have to do something else this time, but man was that fun to watch and a gigantic factor in the outcome of that game. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

With Allen there is NO part of the field you can say that with.  On any play in any situation he can get the ball to any spot on the field.  That's what makes him and Mahomes so dangerous.

He can.  But whether because of play design, lack of open receivers, lack of trust, or lack of passing lanes/time in the pocket, he doesn't seem to be getting the ball to the middle of the field very much nor completing when he does get there.

Pretty stark contrast, wouldn't you say?

Capture.JPG

Capture1.JPG

• Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

on that particular play I would agree with you. However the larger issue we are seeing on offense is they haven't really practiced as a full unit in a month (until this week) due to injuries and the storm/travel/short week. 

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Do you think NE* bothers to practice punt return this week?

I hope we don't punt to them for obvious reasons, but IF we do have to punt, I hope we punt it out of bounds and away from Marcus Jones. I also expect this to be a week that we choose to kick off for touchbacks instead of giving him a chance to return it / pin them down inside in the 20. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.