Week 13: Bills at Pats on TNF

YoloinOhio

36 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Spencer Brown is god awful. I find myself laughing every game as he is on the ground after getting torched resulting in Allen forced to flush the pocket and subsequently making something happen with his legs or a ridiculous completion. 😅

18 minutes ago, Realist said:

Spencer Brown in the passing game is nothing more than a delay tactic. It takes the DE one additional second from not being blocked at all to get to the QB.

I am puzzled how easily he has been getting beat to the outside. I would love to hear from the offensive line experts here. Is it technique? Or just can’t bend/ lacks quick feet? You would think his long arms and frame would help him, but I guess not. 

46 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So there seems to be a bit of a paradox here.

To my understanding, the Vikes moved on from Xavier Rhodes because he was no longer the "Rhodes Closed" shutdown man corner.  He found success shifting to Eberflaus zone scheme in Indy.  That's where Rhodes is probably strongest as a potential contributor: as a zone corner.

Dane Jackson did a far more capable job of contributing to close out last season across from Wallace after White went down, and he and Benford held down the Bills secondary for the start of the 2022 season - in a DB friendly zone scheme with a stout pass-rushing DL ahead of them.

Greg Cosell pointed out after the Lions game that the Bills played one of their highest percentages of Man coverage and also their highest percentage of 5 man pressures, to "affect the QB" after Miller went out and in the absence of Rousseau. 

So now we want to bench Jackson and replace him with Rhodes - replace a guy who has shown as a capable zone corner in the Bills scheme, with an aging corner who is still capable in a zone scheme?

I'm not sure y'all are thinking this through.

Yes, if White comes back and Elam overcomes his "handsiness", they can both play Man, one reason why we drafted Elam - so that we would potentially have two corners capable of playing man.

I did say in a follow up post that I don't think there's any guarantee that Rhodes is an upgrade, but I do feel like a fire needs to be lit under Jackson to get his head turned around and make plays at the ball.  The fact that he's as close as he is during most passes is half the battle.  

I also said that it's probably unfair to expect more out of the guy when he's a 7th rounder going against legit 1st round WR superstar talent, but it's where we're at. 

Just now, Bruffalo said:

I did say in a follow up post that I don't think there's any guarantee that Rhodes is an upgrade, but I do feel like a fire needs to be lit under Jackson to get his head turned around and make plays at the ball.  The fact that he's as close as he is during most passes is half the battle.  

I also said that it's probably unfair to expect more out of the guy when he's a 7th rounder going against legit 1st round WR superstar talent, but it's where we're at. 

I mean that really isn't an excuse...plenty of low round guys do well...look at JC Jackson, a UFA...although he got smoked by Diggs routinely and looked terrible in San Diego which makes me believe he might be a system guy.

15 hours ago, stevewin said:

When I was a very small lad I distinctly remember asking my brother why one team had a clown on their helmet - that's what it looked like to me

I like that logo.

Way better than the face of the Wicked Witch of the Wests castle guards that they have now.

2 hours ago, Bruffalo said:

BB has never been able to contain Diggs since he joined the Bills, I don't really see that changing Thursday.  Judon is the guy I'm most worried about.  

Dane Jackson has to step up for this game, Mac Jones is accurate and the last few weeks have shown that being close to your man isn't enough, the tape is out there on Dane and he's going to continue to get picked on until he makes a big play in a big moment.  

Same goes for Taron Johnson.  Really weak showing the last few weeks (honestly the season outside of one big play in KC), if there's ever been a time to step it up this week is it. 

Don’t know what you’ve been watching. TJ has been our most reliable secondary player this year. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

As unbelievable as it sounds to me, John Brown might have to play this week. 

Half of the starting WR room is now missing. Tanner Gentry is now the 4th WR. 🤮

Care to elaborate?

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Wait, Wat?  What's happened?

From Sal Cappacio.  On the sideline past Allen, you can see Davis, Diggs, and McKenzie practicing. 

Shakir is still out with illness.

to the OP you're killing me Smalls

Edited by Beck Water

2 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Don’t know what you’ve been watching. TJ has been our most reliable secondary player this year. 

More so than Poyer? I certainly don't agree with that.  

He might be our most reliable corner, but that's a pretty low bar. He's been getting picked on in coverage quite a bit. 

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I mean that really isn't an excuse...plenty of low round guys do well...look at JC Jackson, a UFA...although he got smoked by Diggs routinely and looked terrible in San Diego which makes me believe he might be a system guy.

Agreed, not really making excuses for the guy, he's been posterized way too many times this season. I was just lamenting that we do need to keep realistic expectations in mind, even though he's being asked to do more. 

1 minute ago, Bruffalo said:

More so than Poyer? I certainly don't agree with that.  

He might be our most reliable corner, but that's a pretty low bar. He's been getting picked on in coverage quite a bit. 

Can’t be reliable if you’re not on the field. 

TJ hasn’t missed a game. 

To be clear, when healthy, Poyer, Hyde, and White are all better players than TJ. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.