Week 13: Bills at Pats on TNF

YoloinOhio

26 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

His career was shortened because of hits he took in the pocket, specifically to his shoulder. He lost his ability to throw. He went from having a very strong arm to one of the weakest in the league after his rotator cuff injury. 

Yes but that shoulder injury occured outside the pocket

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

BB has never been able to contain Diggs since he joined the Bills, I don't really see that changing Thursday.  Judon is the guy I'm most worried about.  

Dane Jackson has to step up for this game, Mac Jones is accurate and the last few weeks have shown that being close to your man isn't enough, the tape is out there on Dane and he's going to continue to get picked on until he makes a big play in a big moment.  

Same goes for Taron Johnson.  Really weak showing the last few weeks (honestly the season outside of one big play in KC), if there's ever been a time to step it up this week is it. 

I'm sure the Bills have reviewed the Browns and Lions tape and are making plans to play White, Elam and Rhodes more. 

This should put Jackson and Benford (after his IR stint) back to the bench. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

His career was shortened because of hits he took in the pocket, specifically to his shoulder. He lost his ability to throw. He went from having a very strong arm to one of the weakest in the league after his rotator cuff injury. 

Thanks for that information. I failed to do my due diligence. However, I still don't think the comparassion is valid. The game has changed dramatically to protect the QB since the Newton days. Also, there is plenty of controversy on how the refs and the league allowed vicious hits on Cam time after time without penalties and or fines.

Additionally, Allen has proven to be a durable runner. I get the cautionous with Allen. Totally respect that. I don't want him to be reckless and take unnecessary chances for injury. However, I don't want to take away a great weapon of his which are his legs. Pleads for him to be a pocket passer and only run when it's a must isn't what I'm looking for. I'm more than ok with designed Allen runs and RPOs. This just makes defending the Bills O that more difficult. 

Edited by newcam2012

5 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

I'm sure the Bills have reviewed the Browns and Lions tape and are making plans to play White, Elam and Rhodes more. 

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you're right. Hopefully Rhodes still has some gas in the tank too, I don't know that it's guaranteed he'd be an upgrade.  

I know it's probably unfair to grade Jackson so harshly because he's a 7th round pick covering legit WR superstars, but man it's frustrating to watch circus catches on this guy because he never seems to get his head around to find the ball. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping you're right. Hopefully Rhodes still has some gas in the tank too, I don't know that it's guaranteed he'd be an upgrade.  

I know it's probably unfair to grade Jackson so harshly because he's a 7th round pick covering legit WR superstars, but man it's frustrating to watch circus catches on this guy because he never seems to get his head around to find the ball. 

This is my thought as well. 

Dane was a 7th Round pick from Pittsburgh. Benford is a 6th Round pick from Villanova. 

They've done what they can to help the team weather the injuries. 

But the Bills have 3x 1st-Round pick corners coming in to replace them, and that changes the athletic profile of the team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

11 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'd like to give a shout out to the Bills organization for the unexpected addition of Sam Martin. He has been outstanding averaging over 48 yards a kick with several kicks inside the 10 yard. What a great reliable punter. 

10 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He's been a great directional punter. 

and how about those holds too!! 

GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

literally from your article

Newton injured his throwing shoulder in December of 2016 trying to make a tackle after he threw an interception.

“I threw an interception,” Newton said. “I tried to go make the tackle, and I tried to push him out, and I extended my arm, and I messed up my AC joint. And ever since then, there’s just been a part of me that’s just been a wounded dog. Like a wounded lion almost. Just, ‘I’m not right.’ I feel good at times, but when I’m running I still feel it. So instead of running them over, I’m going to turn this shoulder and just go down.”

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

literally from your article

Newton injured his throwing shoulder in December of 2016 trying to make a tackle after he threw an interception.

“I threw an interception,” Newton said. “I tried to go make the tackle, and I tried to push him out, and I extended my arm, and I messed up my AC joint. And ever since then, there’s just been a part of me that’s just been a wounded dog. Like a wounded lion almost. Just, ‘I’m not right.’ I feel good at times, but when I’m running I still feel it. So instead of running them over, I’m going to turn this shoulder and just go down.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/a-timeline-of-the-cam-newton-saga 

I tend to think it was the watt hit because up until that point in 2018, he was playing arguably the best football of his career and the panthers were 6-2. 

“November 2018 - Cam Newton suffers significant shoulder injury.

This is where many people believe things took a turn for the worst in Cam Newton's career. The Panthers were off to a hot 6-2 start to open the 2018 season, and Newton was enjoying (arguably) the best season of his career so far. Then, week ten against the Pittsburgh Steelers happened. Linebacker T.J. Watt gave Newton a nasty illegal hit in the first quarter of the game. It was later determined that Newton suffered a shoulder injury that affected him for the rest of the year. He couldn't make the downfield throws that he used to make with ease, and opponents keyed in on this. Because "Super Cam" was weakened by his significant "Kryptonite" injury, the Panthers finished with a 7-9 record and missed the playoffs.”

2 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/panthers/gm-report/a-timeline-of-the-cam-newton-saga 

I tend to think it was the watt hit because up until that point in 2018, he was playing arguably the best football of his career and the panthers were 6-2. 

“November 2018 - Cam Newton suffers significant shoulder injury.

This is where many people believe things took a turn for the worst in Cam Newton's career. The Panthers were off to a hot 6-2 start to open the 2018 season, and Newton was enjoying (arguably) the best season of his career so far. Then, week ten against the Pittsburgh Steelers happened. Linebacker T.J. Watt gave Newton a nasty illegal hit in the first quarter of the game. It was later determined that Newton suffered a shoulder injury that affected him for the rest of the year. He couldn't make the downfield throws that he used to make with ease, and opponents keyed in on this. Because "Super Cam" was weakened by his significant "Kryptonite" injury, the Panthers finished with a 7-9 record and missed the playoffs.”

Again from your article

“Last time I’ve been healthy?” Newton said. “Honest, 2016.”

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Again from your article

“Last time I’ve been healthy?” Newton said. “Honest, 2016.”

I *KNOW* he had an injury in 2016. And yeah, it probably affected him to some extent. Yet midway through 2018 he was still playing at an elite level. The injury that really effed him up was the rotator cuff injury delivered by Watt while he was in the pocket. He was a shell of himself after that and never recovered.

4 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I *KNOW* he had an injury in 2016. And yeah, it probably affected him to some extent. Yet midway through 2018 he was still playing at an elite level. The injury that really effed him up was the rotator cuff injury delivered by Watt while he was in the pocket. He was a shell of himself after that and never recovered.

Patriots quarterback Cam Newton says an injury to his throwing shoulder that he suffered in 2016 took years to heal and changed the way he played.

Bills going all white this week...

8 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Spencer Brown is god awful. I find myself laughing every game as he is on the ground after getting torched resulting in Allen forced to flush the pocket and subsequently making something happen with his legs or a ridiculous completion. 😅

In pass blocking, he needs to improve...in run blocking he mauls people on those edge runs a lot of times

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Bruffalo said:

Dane Jackson has to step up for this game, Mac Jones is accurate and the last few weeks have shown that being close to your man isn't enough, the tape is out there on Dane and he's going to continue to get picked on until he makes a big play in a big moment.  

Same goes for Taron Johnson.  Really weak showing the last few weeks (honestly the season outside of one big play in KC), if there's ever been a time to step it up this week is it. 

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

So there seems to be a bit of a paradox here.

To my understanding, the Vikes moved on from Xavier Rhodes because he was no longer the "Rhodes Closed" shutdown man corner.  He found success shifting to Eberflaus zone scheme in Indy.  That's where Rhodes is probably strongest as a potential contributor: as a zone corner.

Dane Jackson did a far more capable job of contributing to close out last season across from Wallace after White went down, and he and Benford held down the Bills secondary for the start of the 2022 season - in a DB friendly zone scheme with a stout pass-rushing DL ahead of them.

Greg Cosell pointed out after the Lions game that the Bills played one of their highest percentages of Man coverage and also their highest percentage of 5 man pressures, to "affect the QB" after Miller went out and in the absence of Rousseau. 

So now we want to bench Jackson and replace him with Rhodes - replace a guy who has shown as a capable zone corner in the Bills scheme, with an aging corner who is still capable in a zone scheme?

I'm not sure y'all are thinking this through.

Yes, if White comes back and Elam overcomes his "handsiness", they can both play Man, one reason why we drafted Elam - so that we would potentially have two corners capable of playing man.

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Spencer Brown is god awful. I find myself laughing every game as he is on the ground after getting torched resulting in Allen forced to flush the pocket and subsequently making something happen with his legs or a ridiculous completion. 😅

Spencer Brown in the passing game is nothing more than a delay tactic. It takes the DE one additional second from not being blocked at all to get to the QB.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.