Week 13: Bills at Pats on TNF

YoloinOhio

6 minutes ago, JMM said:

Hines needs to be more involved in the offense beginning this game.  If he is not then it's a direct indictment of both Dorsey and McDermott. Period.

Might be more of an indictment on the weird schedule the last couple of weeks (i.e. extremely limited practice/prep time).  I would imagine in the next couple of weeks Hines will be more involved.  It wouldn't shock me if he isn't a HUGE part of this week's game...but more over the next few games.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Muki did -and just like Warrow, he’s incapable of formulating a coherent question.. Sean will always go with canned, open ended answers, but he needs clarity with these clowns so he can best BS them in his response.

When a question and answer session begins with “hope you can hear me, I’m out doing my Christmas shopping”, you can immediately lower your expectations for insight.   How many times do we hear questions start and then transform to 40 to 50 word meanderings that are 1/3 follow up and 1/3 lists of possible answers to the original near question?

“Hey, coach, thanks for taking my question.   I notice you don’t run as much in the first half as you do in the second half and is that because you feel the need to get Diggs engaged because of his energy or are you worried about the loss of Edmunds and have a desire to keep the defense off the field especially with a lead or when playing from behind and how does Josh work that strategy into his preparation in light of his injury?

Um, well, we prepare for everything and then, looking at the situation, pick the play we feel has the best probability of success.

Ok, thank you.”

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, JMM said:

Hines needs to be more involved in the offense beginning this game.  If he is not then it's a direct indictment of both Dorsey and McDermott. Period.

Good Grief.

Beane traded a RB who was getting 22% of the snaps, ~23 y/Sc/g (and who most fans seemed to feel, should get less) and a conditional 6th for Hines - a guy who was getting 30% of the snaps and 30 y/Sc/g (mostly receiving) on a team that is currently 4-6-1 therefore presumably didn't have as many good players.

Hines is making a strong contribution.  He has taken over the KR/PR duties and is doing a very solid job with both.

Yet you're carrying on like the Bills traded for CMC or Tee Higgins and put him in the barn. Take a Chill Pill, Jill.  Period.

If there's an indictment of Dorsey, it's that perhaps he could be doing a better scheming open the players we've got, who already know his system, not that he isn't immediately taking the guy who had the 5th most receiving y/g on a "meh" team and turning him into an instant strong contributor on offense, leapfrogging all the guys who've been here grinding while we made it to 8-3.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, JMM said:

25 minutes ago, Johnnycage46 said:

Might be more of an indictment on the weird schedule the last couple of weeks (i.e. extremely limited practice/prep time).  I would imagine in the next couple of weeks Hines will be more involved.  It wouldn't shock me if he isn't a HUGE part of this week's game...but more over the next few games.

My hope And guess is that they are taking a very deliberate and long approach to Hines. Get him fully up to speed, figure out how best to use him, get him lots Of practice reps, etc.— all In time for the final stretch and playoffs. I think what that means would

be he is fully integrated by the Jets game. That would give him that 10-day window between games too for more reps. 

Either that, or they are really squandering the trade. 

23 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

My hope And guess is that they are taking a very deliberate and long approach to Hines. Get him fully up to speed, figure out how best to use him, get him lots Of practice reps, etc.— all In time for the final stretch and playoffs. I think what that means would

be he is fully integrated by the Jets game. That would give him that 10-day window between games too for more reps. 

Either that, or they are really squandering the trade. 

Question: what exactly does "squandering the trade" mean to you? 

Again: the trade was an RB who the Bills weren't using much and a 6th round pick, for a pass catching RB with KR/PR chops who the Colts weren't using much. 

All 3 of our starting WR, our TE, and our starting RB had higher production per game than Hines at the time of the trade.  Only James Cook and Khalil Shakir on the active roster have fewer receiving yards, and most fans are clamoring for more use of Shakir and of Cook.

Hines has immediately made a contribution, taking over KR/PR duties and appearing solid at both.

What do you think was the Bills intent in making the trade and acquiring Hines?

Who do you want to see less of, so we can see more Hines? 

Who should get fewer practice reps, so Hines can get more?

Edited by Beck Water

36 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Good Grief.

Beane traded a RB who was getting 22% of the snaps, ~23 y/Sc/g (and who most fans seemed to feel, should get less) and a conditional 6th for Hines - a guy who was getting 30% of the snaps and 30 y/Sc/g (mostly receiving) on a team that is currently 4-6-1 therefore presumably didn't have as many good players.

Hines is making a strong contribution.  He has taken over the KR/PR duties and is doing a very solid job with both.

Yet you're carrying on like the Bills traded for CMC or Tee Higgins and put him in the barn. Take a Chill Pill, Jill.  Period.

If there's an indictment of Dorsey, it's that perhaps he could be doing a better scheming open the players we've got, who already know his system, not that he isn't immediately taking the guy who had the 5th most receiving y/g on a "meh" team and turning him into an instant strong contributor on offense, leapfrogging all the guys who've been here grinding while we made it to 8-3.

Sorry, but I disagree.

The Bills don’t need to feature Hines but the man has speed like we don’t have on offense. The man has had 2 seasons on good Colts team where he had 60 plus receptions.

Get him the ball 5 to 7 times  a game on the offensive side of the ball. Make the defense respect the threat of his speed.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

@PatsFanNH

When I eluded to the return of white and Elam, I meant strictly in regards to boundary corners. Taron Johnson will be in a majority of the snaps at nickel. In the past while playing man, they’ve used Milano, Edmunds, even big nickel Siran Neal, to cover tight ends. 

So how do they cover everyone? It depends on how formation. personnel and down and distance. Either way, it’s likely to be a combination of the above mentioned players, in addition to Poyer/Hamlin from the safety position  

Thanks! IMO the Pats only hope is for Jones have a great day, another career best, and hope the D can force at least a couple Punts if not some turnovers.. 

The Bills are clearly the better team, the Pats IMO are better talent wise than last year, but the coaching on the O side is average to god awful bad.  I think if they can get a true #1 WR next year and have him team up with Parker and Meyers that be a damn good WR room.

1 hour ago, JMM said:

It'll be interesting to see if John brown gets playing time soon. If he does, then I have no idea what they're thinking with Hines 

1 hour ago, JMM said:

I agree with the first sentence because I think we need to throw some new wrinkles at Belichek.  Rest assured he has digested everything we did to him last year and he has looked at all the film this season too. 

We need to pull out something new, maybe Hines can be that.  The Pats* defense is very good, and they will be ready for us in Foxboro.  

3 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I agree with the first sentence because I think we need to throw some new wrinkles at Belichek.  Rest assured he has digested everything we did to him last year and he has looked at all the film this season too. 

We need to pull out something new, maybe Hines can be that.  The Pats* defense is very good, and they will be ready for us in Foxboro.  

I completely agree. Daboll  had a great game plan for that matchup in Foxboro last December and Josh was excellent. I’m not sure if Dorsey will be up to the task. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

52 minutes ago, Beast said:

Sorry, but I disagree.

The Bills don’t need to feature Hines but the man has speed like we don’t have on offense. The man has had 2 seasons on good Colts team where he had 60 plus receptions.

Get him the ball 5 to 7 times  a game on the offensive side of the ball. Make the defense respect the threat of his speed.

Disagreement is fine, you're being factual about it and putting out some good stuff for a discussion.

Fact: Nyheim Hynes ran a 4.39 at the NFL Combine. 

McKenzie ran a 4.42.  Shakir ran 4.43.  Stevenson ran 4.37.  James Cook ran 4.42.  Does 0.03, 0.04 seconds in pajamas years ago make a practical difference to how much speed a guy has in cleats, pads, and a helmet?

Just based on 40 time, the Bills have plenty of speed suiting up and more waiting in the wings to either be activated or season-ending IR'd (Stevenson).  I would say it's not how fast a guy ran in PJ's years ago, it's how fast he's playing today.  Hines is fast, but so are McKenzie, Shakir, and Cook. Stevenson has yet to prove his superior speed in tights transfers on to the field successfully.

The Bills have averaged about 60 snaps per game to date.  We get 5 players per snap in addition to QB and OL.

Davis is on the field for almost all snaps, 93%, due to his blocking chops and deep threat.  Currently top-10 in the league for Y/R.

Knox gets the second percentage, 79% or ~55/game, used a lot as a blocker (may chip and release to routes)

Diggs gets 77% of the snaps, about 53/game, currently top-10 in the league for several receiving categories (receptions, receiving yds, TD, 1D etc)

Singletary just behind him, 72% or 49/game, used a lot in pass pro and as an outlet

McKenzie has been averaging 55% snaps of the snaps per game.  Catches 67% of his targets, 3.7 Tch/G, 9.7 Y/Tch, 5 TD, 21 1D.

Shakir, 16 snaps per game, about 25% - loud and persistent clamoring to see more of him

Cook is the caboose, averaging about 17% or 10 snaps per game - again, loud and persistent clamoring to see more of him.

Hines, in his 4 games here, has actually averaged 6 snaps per game.  He's gotten 3 touches, and 1.3 Y/Tch. 

So which of these guys do you want to take off the field to give Hines more snaps?

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, Neo said:

When a question and answer session begins with “hope you can hear me, I’m out doing my Christmas shopping”, you can immediately lower your expectations for insight.   How many times do we hear questions start and then transform to 40 to 50 word meanderings that are 1/3 follow up and 1/3 lists of possible answers to the original near question?

“Hey, coach, thanks for taking my question.   I notice you don’t run as much in the first half as you do in the second half and is that because you feel the need to get Diggs engaged because of his energy or are you worried about the loss of Edmunds and have a desire to keep the defense off the field especially with a lead or when playing from behind and how does Josh work that strategy into his preparation in light of his injury?

Um, well, we prepare for everything and then, looking at the situation, pick the play we feel has the best probability of success.

Ok, thank you.”

🤣😮🤨🤦‍♂️

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So which of these guys do you want to take off the field to give Hines more snaps?

James Cook for me. He flashes potential here and there but I'm not excited to see him playing a significant role now on a team fighting to win a championship. He's too easy to bring down, for one. Bulk up in the offseason and apply what he's learned and try again next year. I trust Hines more and at this point in time he brings more to the table.

• Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.