Coaching won us the game

Mikie2times

3 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We started blitzing after Miller got hurt. Is that going to be the new norm or is it going to regress to the 4+ years of history that we have to go off of? Is your point supposed to be we blitz a lot now…Thursday was an outlier. Or maybe they finally got smart.

One point was that we were a dominant defense without blitzing when we were healthy. 

If you were complaining about our defense early in the season you weren't paying attention. 

12 hours ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Strangely, I thought the clock changed from 5 second to 7 seconds. At first when the TO was called, I am quite sure I saw 5 remaining seconds and then when Bass was lining up, it changed to 7 seconds. Was I imagining things?

I thought the same thing. 

That red zone pick was as much on Dorsey as it was on Josh. I could see that play coming from my couch, the Lions knee exactly what was coming. Josh could have thrown it a little higher but still, ask the Pats* how easy it is when you know what offensive plays are coming. Dorsey is too predictable right now. 

On 11/25/2022 at 10:16 AM, WyoAZBillfan said:

Dorsey still needs to grow and, rather fast. Teams are figuring the team out, especially when you look at end of last season/first quarter this year. As pointed out in many threads Gabe motions = run plays most times, as an example. 

Overall it seems on D they are realizing 4 man front hasn’t been making it home enough and as we get players back I think they blitzing goes back as it used to be and practically non existent. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Yesterday was a team victory, many players gutted it out it seemed. 

I really fail to see how coaches won the game as premised in the thread. 

I saw a Lions offense that moved the ball up and down the field. A defense that once again struggled on 3rd and long situations. A team that wasn't good defending the red zone and let an easy walk in 2 point conversion. 

On offense, the Bills were very inconsistent and out of sync for many parts of the game. They had several chances to go up 2 scores and failed to do so against a porous defense. Their inefficiency allowed the Lions to stay in the game. Spencer Brown was getting beat by a practice squad player. Add in another red zone INT. 

The Bills barely did enough to win the game. I'll take it and move on to NE! They were very fortunate to get the win. Allen and Diggs made the big play. I give the coaches little credit for that. Fraizer made some nice blitzes that forced Geoff into bad throws. Good thing Geoff sucks under pressure because their WRs were wide open. Mahomes or The won't miss those throws. 

The team was resilient and gutted out a win. I thought the Bills coaches were average at best. I saw nothing that indicated they won the game. In fact, I thought the Lions offensive play calling was very good. Mixed in the run and pass with creative motion. Created several one on one situations to their advantage. 

Edited by newcam2012

16 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

& If Detroit doesn't fumble they don't, so turnovers is a wash. This was not a good D they played, nor was Cleveland. The Offense has been underperforming for 4 and a half games (which predates the line injuries). Yes you're right the players aren't executing as well as they could & yes there's been adversity. There's also been some things scheme wise that could be improved. They all need to look at what the issues are & how to fix them as players & coaches. As a first year OC we all knew Dorsey would need to learn to adjust, I think he's working on that, I have confidence he'll figure it out. But I'm not going to say what a wonderful job he's doing based on squeaking by one of the worst D.s in the league (as this thread suggests). Pats, Jets & Phins are on deck & they won't be so easy. They have set a higher standard & expectations. It's SB or bust this year. He & the players can, should & will do better. Go Bills.

I hear ya, but for me, any praise is based on Josh not being able to practice when he hurt his elbow and then the snow fiasco. The team itself had trouble practicing for 2 games. Logistics had to be a nightmare. A home game taken away and playing 2 road games in 5 days. While also making sure their families are ok. I’ll take a 1 point win anytime. I am worried we might be flat vs NE. Humans, not robots. I also think after the “mini bye” after NE, we have full practices, some rest and we roll from there. 
Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/25/2022 at 2:39 PM, Nihilarian said:

Upon further reflection... these last two weeks have given this Buffalo Bills coaching staff some real challenges.

The snowstorm with a home game moved to Detroit, players sick, limited practice time, injuries...

Then to travel to Detroit again to play a Thursday game on Thanksgiving while winning two games in five days! 

Great coaching staff!

And the Lions were on a 3 game win streak, playing at home, and their consistent finishing in the cellar means they are now accumulating some talent.

St. Brown is a top 5 wide out, Ragnow is a top center, Sewell is a coveted tackle, Hutchinson is emerging as a talented pass rusher.

Bills were missing Rosseau, Hyde, Edmunds, Morse, 4 of 22 starters. lose Von & Dion during the game, and had Tre White on a pitch count.

Close the high windows. 

"Dorsey has been under the radar, but I think fans would give him a neutral mark on the season"

This is the same thing that was happening with Daboll. Unfair assessment. We are 2ND in Offence - better than with Daboll who did a great job. Dorsey should NOT be given a neutral rating. 

There are things to improve and there have been 3 and outs but I think we are weaker in terms of receivers than we were with Beasley. Add to this Allen not being able to practice.

On 11/25/2022 at 6:15 PM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I thought our time management was really bad at the end of the 1st half, and mildly bad at the end of the 2nd half. 

We had 2 timeouts for this sequence at the end of the first half and didn't use one. Too much time came off the clock and really hurt out chances of getting a TD (at least we got a FG).

1st & 10 at BUF 25

(1:52 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass deep right to I.McKenzie to DET 48 for 27 yards (J.Jacobs).

1st & 10 at DET 48

(1:24 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete deep right to S.Diggs. Ball thrown away.

2nd & 10 at DET 48

(1:20 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen scrambles up the middle to DET 43 for 5 yards (C.Board).

3rd & 5 at DET 43

(0:52 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs to DET 36 for 7 yards (A.Anzalone).

1st & 10 at DET 36

(0:32 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete deep right. ball thrown away.

In the 2nd half we panicked after the last play and took the timeout with 7 seconds remaining. We should have waited for ~3 seconds so the FG attempt is the last play of the game. Sure, the odds aren't great that the Lions would score on a kickoff return, but it's not 0% (like it would be if we had waited on the TO). 

Disagree on the first half for reasons I have set out elsewhere. Don't use your offensive timeouts before 40 seconds. You have to score and leave no time in the modern NFL. They have saved their TOs until late all year before half and no team has scored more points inside the 2 minute warning of the 1st half. The issue was just the plays they called didn't get it done, not the clock management.

I do, however, agree with you on end of game. Should never leave more than 4 seconds there. That is the accepted standard. Not sure what happened but it was a mistake.

On 11/25/2022 at 6:15 PM, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I thought our time management was really bad at the end of the 1st half, and mildly bad at the end of the 2nd half. 

We had 2 timeouts for this sequence at the end of the first half and didn't use one. Too much time came off the clock and really hurt out chances of getting a TD (at least we got a FG).

1st & 10 at BUF 25

(1:52 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass deep right to I.McKenzie to DET 48 for 27 yards (J.Jacobs).

1st & 10 at DET 48

(1:24 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete deep right to S.Diggs. Ball thrown away.

2nd & 10 at DET 48

(1:20 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen scrambles up the middle to DET 43 for 5 yards (C.Board).

3rd & 5 at DET 43

(0:52 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs to DET 36 for 7 yards (A.Anzalone).

1st & 10 at DET 36

(0:32 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete deep right. ball thrown away.

In the 2nd half we panicked after the last play and took the timeout with 7 seconds remaining. We should have waited for ~3 seconds so the FG attempt is the last play of the game. Sure, the odds aren't great that the Lions would score on a kickoff return, but it's not 0% (like it would be if we had waited on the TO). 

Not as bad as the lions clock management. Woah

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.