Coaching won us the game

Mikie2times

I'm more critical of McDermott than most. Plenty are critical of Frazier. Dorsey has been under the radar, but I think fans would give him a neutral mark on the season. In the game against Detroit, I really think this was one of the better coached games we have seen from the entire staff. 

On offense, we ran the ball in the traditional running game with frequency and success. This was now two weeks in a row we did not abandon the run and used it as a stabilizing factor. We were also aggressive late in the game. If you look at the throw to Diggs, you could make an argument to play conservative. We had 23 seconds to go 35 yards, any mistake and you likely lose. Josh had done almost nothing in the deep passing game the last two weeks and made some critical errors. We trusted our guys to go get it done. I think this is a play that will help Josh get back on track from a mental perspective. 

On defense, we have seen the level of aggressiveness increase as our DB play has declined which I'm thankful for. The death by a thousand cuts was getting torturous.  In perhaps the most pivotal play of the game on the Lions last drive, 3rd down and 1,  in a spot we always seem to be conservative, we went all in. We sent everybody and forced the Lions to execute. Far too often we seem to be in reactionary mode in that spot. The Lions had an open guy but failed to execute against our pressure. We forced a FG which allowed us to set up the eventual game winning FG. 

So while we love to torch our coaches, yesterday they beat the Lions coaches in time management and were not afraid to be aggressive. The did almost everything we complain about well. We even landed an elusive within 7 point victory. I think the coaches are learning and they played a big role in the W yesterday. Hopefully we see this trend continue.        

• Like (+1) 21
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 8
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I thought our time management was really bad at the end of the 1st half, and mildly bad at the end of the 2nd half. 

We had 2 timeouts for this sequence at the end of the first half and didn't use one. Too much time came off the clock and really hurt out chances of getting a TD (at least we got a FG).

1st & 10 at BUF 25

(1:52 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass deep right to I.McKenzie to DET 48 for 27 yards (J.Jacobs).

1st & 10 at DET 48

(1:24 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete deep right to S.Diggs. Ball thrown away.

2nd & 10 at DET 48

(1:20 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen scrambles up the middle to DET 43 for 5 yards (C.Board).

3rd & 5 at DET 43

(0:52 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs to DET 36 for 7 yards (A.Anzalone).

1st & 10 at DET 36

(0:32 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete deep right. ball thrown away.

In the 2nd half we panicked after the last play and took the timeout with 7 seconds remaining. We should have waited for ~3 seconds so the FG attempt is the last play of the game. Sure, the odds aren't great that the Lions would score on a kickoff return, but it's not 0% (like it would be if we had waited on the TO). 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Dorsey still needs to grow and, rather fast. Teams are figuring the team out, especially when you look at end of last season/first quarter this year. As pointed out in many threads Gabe motions = run plays most times, as an example. 

Overall it seems on D they are realizing 4 man front hasn’t been making it home enough and as we get players back I think they blitzing goes back as it used to be and practically non existent. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Yesterday was a team victory, many players gutted it out it seemed. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

3 minutes ago, WyoAZBillfan said:

Dorsey still needs to grow and, rather fast. Teams are figuring the team out, especially when you look at end of last season/first quarter this year. As pointed out in many threads Gabe motions = run plays most times, as an example. 

Overall it seems on D they are realizing 4 man front hasn’t been making it home enough and as we get players back I think they blitzing goes back as it used to be and practically non existent. 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

Yesterday was a team victory, many players gutted it out it seemed. 

My Wyoming friend, we started blitzing because GROOT was out, and when we lost Von for the game we converted from a low blitz team, to 59% blitzing.

Its situational dependent and when we get GROOT and Von back as long as our DT’s stay in tack we’ll stick with our 8.  The passing teams like the Bengals, and Fish, we’ll need 8 in coverage.

For the running teams like the Bears, Jests, Cheats, we’ll consider blitzing as both of our starting DE’s are out.  It’s that simple.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

I thought our time management was really bad at the end of the 1st half, and mildly bad at the end of the 2nd half. 

We had 2 timeouts for this sequence at the end of the first half and didn't use one. Too much time came off the clock and really hurt out chances of getting a TD (at least we got a FG).

1st & 10 at BUF 25

(1:52 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen pass deep right to I.McKenzie to DET 48 for 27 yards (J.Jacobs).

1st & 10 at DET 48

(1:24 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete deep right to S.Diggs. Ball thrown away.

2nd & 10 at DET 48

(1:20 - 2nd) (Shotgun) J.Allen scrambles up the middle to DET 43 for 5 yards (C.Board).

3rd & 5 at DET 43

(0:52 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass short right to S.Diggs to DET 36 for 7 yards (A.Anzalone).

1st & 10 at DET 36

(0:32 - 2nd) (No Huddle, Shotgun) J.Allen pass incomplete deep right. ball thrown away.

In the 2nd half we panicked after the last play and took the timeout with 7 seconds remaining. We should have waited for ~3 seconds so the FG attempt is the last play of the game. Sure, the odds aren't great that the Lions would score on a kickoff return, but it's not 0% (like it would be if we had waited on the TO). 

I don't disagree with this.

As for schematics, that's not what this thread is about. More game day coaching. I still think our schemes leaves a good deal to be desired. Although we ARE seeing pressure dialed up and the traditional running game, two missing pieces, we aren't seeing creativity on offense. How much we could install the last few weeks with our circumstances is likely low, but the playbook progression on offense is a question mark no doubt.   

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

My Wyoming friend, we started blitzing because GROOT was out, and when we lost Von for the game we converted from a low blitz team, to 59% blitzing.

Its situational dependent and when we get GROOT and Von back as long as our DT’s stay in tack we’ll stick with our 8.  The passing teams like the Bengals, and Fish, we’ll need 8 in coverage.

For the running teams like the Bears, Jests, Cheats, we’ll consider blitzing as both of our starting DE’s are out.  It’s that simple.

And those are exactly the adjustments that coaches have to make.  And they did.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen won that game... NO QUESTION IMO!!!!!!!!!

That last throw with 23 seconds to go into triple coverage was a laser beam to #14 for 36 yards...simply unbelievably amazing!  Then, two runs to help them get into field position for the winning FG. 

Yes, its also a team effort and despite the injuries the Bills found a way to win. 

Lots of teams go through injuries!

AJ Klein = hero! Ed Oliver = stud! Oliver should have gotten the entire turkey, besides the legs that is for Allen, Diggs, T Bass. 

The innovation in the offensive game plan was very questionable IMO. Perhaps it was due to the limited amount of practice time. We will see against NE. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

6 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

Josh Allen won that game... NO QUESTION IMO!!!!!!!!!

That last throw with 23 seconds to go into triple coverage was a laser beam to #14 for 36 yards...simply unbelievably amazing!  Then, two runs to help them get into field position for the winning FG. 

Yes, its also a team effort and despite the injuries the Bills found a way to win. 

Lots of teams go through injuries!

AJ Klein = hero! Ed Oliver = stud! Oliver should have gotten the entire turkey, besides the legs that is for Allen, Diggs, T Bass. 

The innovation in the offensive game plan was very questionable IMO. Perhaps it was due to the limited amount of practice time. We will see against NE. 

You said it perfect! And to mention AJ Klein - I mean, how is nobody talking about him today??? He was stellar yesterday!

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I agree 100%, situational. But that said with some injuries it seems they have done it more out of need. Adjustments have at times been on the slow side coming, it also feels like they will keep doing whatever until the half, come with minor tweaks that don’t have any effectiveness before they pull the stops. 

It will be interesting to see how they play with Von out the next bit. The team seems to be getting healthy at the right time in the secondary though. 

• Like (+1) 1

Lions are dead last defensively in pts allowed averaging 28.2. They also have the 2nd worst run D in the league (Browns have the worst) & they were missing their top CB. We, the #2 scoring offense scored 26 (the D got 2 w/ the safety). & We punted 3 consecutive times for the 1st time this year. Hardly a stellar day by Coach Dorsey.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/opponent-points-per-game

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

1st & 10 at BUF 25

1st & 10 at DET 48

2nd & 10 at DET 48

3rd & 5 at DET 43

1st & 10 at DET 36

I’ve seen many coaches do this.  The odds of the Bills committing a penalty and losing their opportunity to kick due to clock expiring  >>>>>>>>>>>  the lions returning the kick for a TD

Upon further reflection... these last two weeks have given this Buffalo Bills coaching staff some real challenges.

The snowstorm with a home game moved to Detroit, players sick, limited practice time, injuries...

Then to travel to Detroit again to play a Thursday game on Thanksgiving while winning two games in five days! 

Great coaching staff!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1st & 10 at BUF 25

1st & 10 at DET 48

2nd & 10 at DET 48

3rd & 5 at DET 43

1st & 10 at DET 36

I didn't understand the timeout with 7 seconds left at all. I actually maybe thought he was out of bounds because that would have been the only good explanation. Why even leave the kickoff to chance like that? Imagine if we had lost on a return when we could have made the FG the last play? 

• Agree 4

1st & 10 at BUF 25

1st & 10 at DET 48

2nd & 10 at DET 48

3rd & 5 at DET 43

1st & 10 at DET 36

Yeah the week before they managed their time much better at the end of the half.    I was surprised that they didn't do the same this week.........should have come up with a TD there against a bad defense with it's #1 CB out but they ran themselves into a short play sheet.    The Bills script-flipper/opponent soul crusher as currently constituted is Allen running the ball so like any running team they are more dangerous when they have the time to afford to be able to run the ball.

But overall I think McD notably out-managed the Meathead.   Which was necessary because the Lions OC was in Frazier's pants for much of the game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

I'm more critical of McDermott than most. Plenty are critical of Frazier. Dorsey has been under the radar, but I think fans would give him a neutral mark on the season. In the game against Detroit, I really think this was one of the better coached games we have seen from the entire staff. 

On offense, we ran the ball in the traditional running game with frequency and success. This was now two weeks in a row we did not abandon the run and used it as a stabilizing factor. We were also aggressive late in the game. If you look at the throw to Diggs, you could make an argument to play conservative. We had 23 seconds to go 35 yards, any mistake and you likely lose. Josh had done almost nothing in the deep passing game the last two weeks and made some critical errors. We trusted our guys to go get it done. I think this is a play that will help Josh get back on track from a mental perspective. 

On defense, we have seen the level of aggressiveness increase as our DB play has declined which I'm thankful for. The death by a thousand cuts was getting torturous.  In perhaps the most pivotal play of the game on the Lions last drive, 3rd down and 1,  in a spot we always seem to be conservative, we went all in. We sent everybody and forced the Lions to execute. Far too often we seem to be in reactionary mode in that spot. The Lions had an open guy but failed to execute against our pressure. We forced a FG which allowed us to set up the eventual game winning FG. 

So while we love to torch our coaches, yesterday they beat the Lions coaches in time management and were not afraid to be aggressive. The did almost everything we complain about well. We even landed an elusive within 7 point victory. I think the coaches are learning and they played a big role in the W yesterday. Hopefully we see this trend continue.        

Yes! I lost my mind on Sunday against Browns when those timeouts were getting burned in 3rd... 

Winning coin toss is MAJOR. Always defer (or chose to have wind in 4th @ home: ie, defend the other end zone.

McD manages clock well in 1st Half and can get it so it's a 14 point "swing" possibility before the other team even touches the ball in the 3rd!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’ve seen many coaches do this.  The odds of the Bills committing a penalty and losing their opportunity to kick due to clock expiring  >>>>>>>>>>>  the lions returning the kick for a TD

7 seconds 

Pros:

If the Bills commit a holding penalty (or other non pre-snap violation) on a made FG there's enough time to attempt a longer FG

Cons:

Enough time for the Lions to attempt a hail mary if the Bills miss the kick or fumble the snap (recovered by DET)

Enough time for the Lions to return a kickoff if the Bills make the kick

3 seconds

Pros: 

Eliminates the small risk of a Lions miracle TD on a kickoff return/hail mary

Cons:

Bills can't get a 2nd FG attempt from farther out if they commit a penalty on a made kick

Given that it was a tie game I think 3 seconds is clearly the correct call. The 'worst case' scenario for 7 seconds is the Bills lose the game in regulation. The 'worst case' scenario for 3 seconds is the game goes to OT. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.