Injuries NOT an excuse. Bills tied for 5th fewest man games lost to injury thru Week 11

Big Turk

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They're 8-3.  Are we making excuses for them winning?

No but we should be at worst 9-2 and probably 10-1 which changes the dynamic 💯.  Maybe I’m in the minority but if our DC wasn’t so reluctant to change game plans to react to the opponents strengths we would be 1 seed.

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

that said…..our offense needs to fix itself or we won’t win the SB

The Bills are the #2 scoring offense in the NFL.  They're averaging 1.5 fewer points/game than KC, who is #1.

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The Ravens last year and 49ers in 2020 were teams that were decimated with season ending injuries to key players so that's a bit different IMO.

But looking at the Bills, sure we've have some key injuries to important players but so far the only one of note lost for an extensive period of time was Hyde in week 2. If Miller is gone for the year that would certainly be another major blow.

Also the Cowboys have missed some of those players in question this year and have been just fine also sitting at 8-3. The Bengals are another team that has been hit hard with injuries since the beginning of the year and are 7-2 after and 0-2 start.

At the end of the day every team is effected differently but I stand with the original premise of this thread that if the Bills fail to live up to expectations (which is anything short of of a SB appearance) injuries won't be a valid excuse unless a bunch of other key guys land on season ending IR the coming weeks.

Never at any point of the season did the Cowboys and Bengals miss their entire starting secondary, both starting DE's, 2 starting DT's and had 3rd/4th stringers playing a lot...that's just defense. 

We have had All Pros miss over 30 games combined.  Not just All Pro's...high level players and back ups as well.

Yes, if by the end of the year we are mostly healthy except for Hyde....then yes, injuries won't be an excuse.  Injuries is an excuse for why our defense isn't playing at the level they should be right now.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The Ravens last year and 49ers in 2020 were teams that were decimated with season ending injuries to key players so that's a bit different IMO.

But looking at the Bills, sure we've have some key injuries to important players but so far the only one of note lost for an extensive period of time was Hyde in week 2. If Miller is gone for the year that would certainly be another major blow.

Also the Cowboys have missed some of those players in question this year and have been just fine also sitting at 8-3. The Bengals are another team that has been hit hard with injuries since the beginning of the year and are 7-2 after and 0-2 start.

At the end of the day every team is effected differently but I stand with the original premise of this thread that if the Bills fail to live up to expectations (which is anything short of of a SB appearance) injuries won't be a valid excuse unless a bunch of other key guys land on season ending IR the coming weeks.

What’s our record again?  

How many games has Jesse Bates missed?  Von Bell?  Trey Hendrickson?  Pratt?  Hilton?  Micah parsons?  Trevon Diggs?  Demarcus Lawrence? Vander esche?  

WHO has been injured is a big part of why we’ve lost the games we’ve lost.  Especially when you look at the specific plays that won and lost each game.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

The Bills are the #2 scoring offense in the NFL.  They're averaging 1.5 fewer points/game than KC, who is #1.

Thanks for the info.  How about break down the last 4 games instead?  Weeks 1 and 2 mean nothing right now.  What have you done for me lately @Gugny?  Our offense has been sputtering if you haven’t noticed.  

The steelers were 11-0 in 2020.  The cardinals were 7-0 in 2021.  Meant nothing because they sucked down the stretch. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Thanks for the info.  How about break down the last 4 games instead?  Weeks 1 and 2 mean nothing right now.  What have you done for me lately @Gugny?  Our offense has been sputtering if you haven’t noticed.  

The steelers were 11-0 in 2020.  The cardinals were 7-0 in 2021.  Meant nothing because they sucked down the stretch. 

We've averaged almost 30 points scored the last 3 weeks though.  

12 minutes ago, Behindenemylines said:

No but we should be at worst 9-2 and probably 10-1 which changes the dynamic 💯.  Maybe I’m in the minority but if our DC wasn’t so reluctant to change game plans to react to the opponents strengths we would be 1 seed.

So you must have coached? - Have the All-22? Maybe you can teach us?

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I've noticed that over the past four weeks that the Bills have scored an average of 26.5 points/game - which, for the season, is 4th best in the NFL.

I'm not going to sit here and say that the offense has been great.  They haven't.  They've been inconsistent and sloppy.

But the fact of the matter is that the team is 8-3 because of the offense; and they are, indeed, the 2nd best scoring offense in the league.

With all of the injuries on defense, the pressure is on the offense.  Frankly, I think they're doing a great job, overall.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, TH3 said:

So you must have coached? - Have the All-22? Maybe you can teach us?

No I just watch the games.  When your getting beat consistently in the same fashion and don’t change your strategy your either stubborn or stupid. I don’t think DC is stupid.  How many 3-longs must we give up for people to realize.

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Weeks 1 and 2 mean nothing right now, just like the last few weeks will mean nothing in January.

Just now, ScottLaw said:

Hard to not be skeptical they go this route…. They’ve proven they prefer defense time and time again…. Hell, McD and Beane told us multiple times how good Davis is and he is proof that you don’t need to take WRs early this past off season. 

You have a great Safety prospect sitting there at the end of round 1 vs a great WR prospect…. Going to have to keep McDermott out of the room to not take the safety. 

They are going BPA.  I hope it's a WR that's still sitting there...maybe a guard.  But whoever is the top person on their board, they will take.

5 minutes ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

We've averaged almost 30 points scored the last 3 weeks though.  

We played the Lions- the worst scoring D in the league.  The Browns - the 3rd worst scoring D in the league.  And Packers-  tied for the 10th worst scoring D in the league (and gave up almost 400 yards of rushing O last night).  

do you watch the games?  Do you think our offense looks good? 

7 minutes ago, Gugny said:

I've noticed that over the past four weeks that the Bills have scored an average of 26.5 points/game - which, for the season, is 4th best in the NFL.

I'm not going to sit here and say that the offense has been great.  They haven't.  They've been inconsistent and sloppy.

But the fact of the matter is that the team is 8-3 because of the offense; and they are, indeed, the 2nd best scoring offense in the league.

With all of the injuries on defense, the pressure is on the offense.  Frankly, I think they're doing a great job, overall.

See above

5 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

Weeks 1 and 2 mean nothing right now, just like the last few weeks will mean nothing in January.

No….but they mean everything RIGHT NOW…… while we’re having the conversation about the current team…… which is what we’re talking about…..

I said we have to fix our offense…..so this can mean nothing in January.  

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Hard to not be skeptical they go this route…. They’ve proven they prefer defense time and time again…. Hell, McD and Beane told us multiple times how good Davis is and he is proof that you don’t need to take WRs early this past off season. 

You have a great Safety prospect sitting there at the end of round 1 vs a great WR prospect…. Going to have to keep McDermott out of the room to not take the safety. 

I’m with you. As you know I thought it was a bigger priority last off-season that was ignored…. 

The thought of us going defense in round 1 makes me ill.

Assuming Edmunds is resigned the draft should look something like this

WR

OL

OL

TE

WR

DB

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m with you. As you know I thought it was a bigger priority last off-season that was ignored…. 

I can see why Davis was thought to be a #2.  He has been someone they have been developing and see him every day in practice.  He wasn't given the targets because of Sanders and John Brown in his first two years.  He didn't step up this year and now we know we need a better #2.  

Davis will probably finish this year with about 60 receptions, about 900 yards with about 7 TD's.  Not bad but not consistent enough.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I am 100% on a firm stance with #2 WR being our main priority in the offseason.

Gabe Davis is a #3 at best.  He's a guy you want to make the big play down the field but not to rely on consistently throughout a game.

How will this #2 be paid for?  Josh's huge contract kicks into high gear next year, we have to either pay or replace Edmunds, Von's cap hit goes up $13MM.  We can hope we get lucky drafting between 25 and 32 with a wide out, but that's about it.  We have Davis at a draft discount for next year, but then he will make at least the $10MM that Bobby Trees is making.

9 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

No….but they mean everything RIGHT NOW…… while we’re having the conversation about the current team…… which is what we’re talking about…..

I said we have to fix our offense…..so this conversation will hopefully mean in january

Just now, BearNorth said:

How will this #2 be paid for?  Josh's huge contract kicks into high gear next year, we have to either pay or replace Edmunds, Von's cap hit goes up $13MM.  We can hope we get lucky drafting between 25 and 32 with a wide out, but that's about it.  We have Davis at a draft discount for next year, but then he will make at least the $10MM that Bobby Trees is making.

We don't need a top flight, big money FA WR in the offseason.

John Brown type level and contract. 

Or our #25-#32 picks on a WR if the board falls that way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.