Injuries NOT an excuse. Bills tied for 5th fewest man games lost to injury thru Week 11

Big Turk

Injuries are, and always will be the excuse, when you’re not playing your best players…, duh, if the backups were starting level players they wouldn’t be backup players now would they…, have you been spending time with Scottlaw or something???

Nuthin but luv…, 

On 11/25/2022 at 11:42 AM, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

It's not the numbers! It is who is injured

Yeah, this chart is preposterously misleading.  It is not normal to be without your entire starting secondary, for example.

Also, Allen has missed no time due to his elbow, but there's no serious question that it's hurting his performance to at least some degree.  Seeing as how he's our offense, that's a pretty big omission.  

On 11/25/2022 at 12:47 PM, phypon said:

Please don't post facts about NFL injuries and other teams.  Without the injury excuse most of the posters here would have to take off their rose colored homer glasses and peer into the reality of the coaching of this team and how they are being figured out and not properly adjusting.  Just because some of our backups were considered and played as starters on other teams, when they get here they are instantly scrubs.  Don't destroy their narrative, you will take all of their posting fun away.

Can someone reply to this post with the awesome emoji so he gets the full card bingo?

I did my part with the 🍺 

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/28/2022 at 11:42 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

Injuries are an excuse like it was for Baltimore last year.  Saying injuries aren't an excuse is basically saying the back ups are equally as effective as the starters.

A regular rate of injuries to starters, if you're a good team, shouldn't faze you too much.  But when you have this:

- Von Miller (Indefinitely)

- Jordan Poyer (4 games)

- Micah Hyde (15 games)

- Tre White (10 games)

- Kair Elam (2 games)

- Christian Benford (3 games + additional 4 games for IR)

- Jordan Phillips (3 games)

- Tim Settle (2 games)

- Ed Oliver (4 games)

- Greg Rosseau  (3 games)

- Tremaine Edmunds (3 games)

- Matt Milano (1 game)

Everyone of these players except Milano missed multiple games or will miss multiple games.  That's 4 All Pro's on defense that we have missed multiple games at the same time.  That's many key contributing starters who aren't All Pro's. 

Not only that, but the back ups have gotten hurt and we've had to use 3rd and 4th stringers.

We have had every single starter injured except Taron Johnson and DaQuan.  That's unreal.

If the Cowboys were missing Parsons, Diggs, Lawrence, Kearse, Vander Esch, Anthony Brown and Armstrong all around the same time and for multiple games...would they be as good?  

Yup. Not to mention that they are grouped tightly in terms of unit.

The defensive backfield has been absolutely decimated. So has the DL. That gives teams specific targets and areas where the backups are tightly grouped and easier to attack.

This has absolutely had a huge effect on this team. Pretending it hasn't isn't making sense.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Plenty of “wannnabe” GMs were also very loud in the offseason about the need for better WRs and offensive linemen….. they were proven right despite the McBeane brown nosers trying to bring them down. 

Yeah, it's an awful lot easier for wannabe GMs, who don't have to deal with salary caps, than it is for GMs, who have real-world consequences for bringing in every guy they would like to in an ideal world.

16 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Plenty of wannabe GM's also wanted Rosen over Allen.

Plenty of wannabe GM's also wanted Milano not re-signed because he was an off the ball linebacker.

Plenty of wannabe GM's also criticized the Poyer signing because he wasn't great in Cleveland.  

It's very easy to pick out spots here and there where the GM could have done better.  Most of Beane's detractors do not care about the full 53 man roster that was put together....it's not important to them.  What's important to them is finding an area where they aren't as strong and then criticizing to no end.  

Precisely. There's no punishment for wannabe GMs to say we need to pick up more and more and more.

16 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The point is that McDermott's philosophy is that your scheme changes as the talent changes.   His approach is to put the best player on the field at each position, and then to adjust the scheme so that he is asking each player to do only things that that player is capable of.  So, when Klein comes in for Edmunds, he doesn't ask Klein to play the position the same way Edmunds does, he asks him to play the way Klein can play it.  But that, in turn, means that he has to go to Milano and the DBs and have each of THEM change how they're playing THEY'RE positions, because they're assignments had been designed around what Edmunds was going to do.   

Yes, if you don't have enough talent, at some point it falls apart, but even if you do have good talent in the backup roles, each time one of those key guys (think White, Poyer, Miller, Edmunds) goes down, several other positions get adjusted.  This season has seen new adjustments of that sort happening almost every week.   Adjustment after adjustment after adjustment.   They're not playing the same defensive scheme today that was installed in August.  

This is a really good point, and one we (specifically me) don't think about often enough.

17 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Plenty of wannabe GM's also wanted Rosen over Allen.

Plenty of wannabe GM's also wanted Milano not re-signed because he was an off the ball linebacker.

Plenty of wannabe GM's also criticized the Poyer signing because he wasn't great in Cleveland.  

It's very easy to pick out spots here and there where the GM could have done better.  Most of Beane's detractors do not care about the full 53 man roster that was put together....it's not important to them.  What's important to them is finding an area where they aren't as strong and then criticizing to no end.  

Bit harsh. I think the genuine question that I (and one or two others) posed in the spring was could one of the three FA DT contracts we gave out not have gone to offense? It isn't a knock on any of those 3 players. All of whom I like. 

I do care about the construction of the 53 and overall allocation of resources. That stuff interests me as much as the games. Beane has done a really good job but he isn't perfect and it is legit to ask questions about some of those decisions.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

This data means NOTHING, do you know why?

these graphs dont tell the whole story. Doesnt say that our entire secondary was out one game. Does not say that. One of our losses.

You know what you can do with this graph? print it. Take a nice look at the paper form of it, then flush it down the toilet cause that is all this information is worth... what goes down the toilet.

I normally love your work Turk but this is subjective nonsense. 

Totally agree it isn't the amount of man games lost it's the personnel that lost games. Take the entire starting secondary off any team for a game or two see what happens. 

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Bit harsh. I think the genuine question that I (and one or two others) posed in the spring was could one of the three FA DT contracts we gave out not have gone to offense? It isn't a knock on any of those 3 players. All of whom I like. 

I do care about the construction of the 53 and overall allocation of resources. That stuff interests me as much as the games. Beane has done a really good job but he isn't perfect and it is legit to ask questions about some of those decisions.

LOL…I think sometimes you think I’m addressing you.  I’m definitely not.

I’m talking those who criticize Beane’s entire building of the team due to an area or two we aren’t great.  They only focus on that. There are people who want him fired.  

You can’t build perfect teams but some here are expecting perfection.  That’s why I say they don’t care about the 53…they blow that part off because they focus on attacking areas where we aren’t as strong.

On 11/29/2022 at 8:38 AM, ScottLaw said:

Plenty of “wannnabe” GMs were also very loud in the offseason about the need for better WRs and offensive linemen….. they were proven right despite the McBeane brown nosers trying to bring them down. 

Were they proven right?  Our biggest issue has been Crowder got hurt and injuries on the OL.  How many quarters has the starting OL even played together?

Meanwhile, we have been decimated by injuries in our secondary and still field one of the top secondaries in the NFL.  So I think the investment has worked out in drafting Elam and Benford.  

I mean its puzzling to me how you keep grossly over looking that our defense being able to hold itself together and limit the opponents enough for us to keep winning games while our offense has had some struggles.  And you still on here trolling that the investment into the defense was a mistake despite it being a big reason we have even won 8 games.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.