Injuries NOT an excuse. Bills tied for 5th fewest man games lost to injury thru Week 11

Big Turk

13 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Hard to not be skeptical they go this route…. They’ve proven they prefer defense time and time again…. Hell, McD and Beane told us multiple times how good Davis is and he is proof that you don’t need to take WRs early this past off season. 

You have a great Safety prospect sitting there at the end of round 1 vs a great WR prospect…. Going to have to keep McDermott out of the room to not take the safety. 

I’m with you. As you know I thought it was a bigger priority last off-season that was ignored…. 

Meanwhile we’ve never drafted a S before rd 6 since he’s been here.  

it wasn’t ignored.  It wasn’t filled how you (or I) wanted it to be filled.  Crowder, Mckenzie and Shakir were added.  Cook was supposed to add more help.  They took the value route @WR so they could fix the defense that got destroyed 2 seasons in a row to end each season. 

If the D ever gets healthy, we’ll find out if they made the right choice.  Our d is suffering because of injury.  Not talent.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Their tendencies suggest BPA at positions they prefer… one first round pick on offense since 2018(excluding the trade for Diggs).

They prefer defense. That mindset needs to change because that strategy isn’t sustainable to winning IMO.

Well you can't exclude Diggs, a 1st round pick was used on him.

A strong defense with a great QB is definitely sustainable.  The 49ers have been Super Bowl contenders for the last few years with Jimmy G as QB.  

Of the top 10 NFL scoring defenses, only 2 aren't above .500 and one is the Bucs who are one game below.  

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Meanwhile we’ve never drafted a S before rd 6 since he’s been here.  

it wasn’t ignored.  It wasn’t filled how you (or I) wanted it to be filled.  Crowder, Mckenzie and Shakir were added.  Cook was supposed to add more help.  They took the value route @WR so they could fix the defense that got destroyed 2 seasons in a row to end each season. 

If the D ever gets healthy, we’ll find out if they made the right choice.  Our d is suffering because of injury.  Not talent.

Cook is coming around now.

Not sure why Shakir has been invisible since the Ravens game.

I think we need Knox incorporated more in the passing game.

I think Allen's slump is over and we will start seeing more consistency on offense.

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Their tendencies suggest BPA at positions they prefer… one first round pick on offense since 2018(excluding the trade for Diggs).

They prefer defense. That mindset needs to change because that strategy isn’t sustainable to winning IMO.

It surely didn’t last season.  Prior to last season, Beane had drafted 1 CB, Dane Jackson in last round.  They showed they were ok starting corners that possessed zone experience and attributes over physical attributes.  

they had shown that CB was not a position they preferred.  Yet drafted a one in rd 1.  

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Well you can't exclude Diggs, a 1st round pick was used on him.

A strong defense with a great QB is definitely sustainable.  The 49ers have been Super Bowl contenders for the last few years with Jimmy G as QB.  

Of the top 10 NFL scoring defenses, only 2 aren't above .500 and one is the Bucs who are one game below.  

Cook is coming around now.

Not sure why Shakir has been invisible since the Ravens game.

I think we need Knox incorporated more in the passing game.

I think Allen's slump is over and we will start seeing more consistency on offense.

Agree on all points minus Allens slump.  I hope so, but I think part of his slump has to do with Dorsey and the OL.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea ignored is too strong a word, more like they put it on the back burner…they went quantity over quality on offense to focus on defense…. And as a result, yet again Josh has to carry the team on his back because he’s got Diggs and nothing else around him….He continues to take a beating because of it. 

I stand by my opinion it’s not a strategy for long term success to stack defense. The offseason should be offensive oriented….even if that means the defense takes a bit of a hit. 

Agreed.  I hope to see lots of O with our draft picks this year.  

that said, I’m happy with our D and hope to see what they can do when somewhat healthy.  The D can dominate when the pieces are all there.  

Just now, ScottLaw said:

I don’t disagree at all… I also don’t think it’s realistic to have all those D pieces healthy…. And unfortunately the defense seems to revert back to average if even one prominent piece misses some time. 

I don't understand the bolded.  We are #5 in NFL defensive scoring with more than one prominent piece missing.

Our prominent piece last year was Tre White....our defense still finished #1 in defensive scoring.

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

But defense in general is a group that they absolutely prefer. That is my point. 

Ok, you said position.  

The only unit they prefer over any other unit based on their FA and draft tendencies has been DL.  

If you consider paying our All pro safeties, CB and LB a “preference”, so be it.  They keep their best players that are crucial to the defense reaching its potential while putting extreme emphasis on rushing the passer

6 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I don’t disagree at all… I also don’t think it’s realistic to have all those D pieces healthy…. And unfortunately the defense seems to revert back to average if even one prominent piece misses some time. 

We’ve missed almost Hyde all season.  That’s ONE.  We don’t know what we look like if we’re only missing one prominent piece because we’ve been missing more than one every game since Hyde got hurt.

52 minutes ago, NewEra said:

What’s our record again?  

How many games has Jesse Bates missed?  Von Bell?  Trey Hendrickson?  Pratt?  Hilton?  Micah parsons?  Trevon Diggs?  Demarcus Lawrence? Vander esche?  

WHO has been injured is a big part of why we’ve lost the games we’ve lost.  Especially when you look at the specific plays that won and lost each game.

I'm not going to deny that the injuries this team have suffered have suffered have been very specific in terms of the timing and importance of the position.

But I still think it's misleading (and concerning) if we are to expect an entire defense and scheme to completely fall apart because of one or two guys out on a given week. And if this is the case what does it say about both coaching and roster construction?

At the end of the day though I don't believe it matters if this defense heads into the playoffs at full strength or very close to it because it's not going to stop the inevitable in terms of going to a place like KC again and having Mahomes and that offense drop 400+ yards and 30+ points on us.

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm not going to deny that the injuries this team have suffered have suffered have been very specific in terms of the timing and importance of the position.

But I still think it's misleading (and concerning) if we are to expect an entire defense and scheme to completely fall apart because of one or two guys out on a given week. And if this is the case what does it say about both coaching and roster construction?

At the end of the day though I don't believe it matters if this defense heads into the playoffs at full strength or very close to it because it's not going to stop the inevitable in terms of going to a place like KC again and having Mahomes and that offense drop 400+ yards and 30+ points on us.

Can you point out the given week that there were only one or two guys out on defense?

17 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

One or two guys.  Lol.  That’s not what is happening

37 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Can you point out the given week that there were only one or two guys out on defense?

Week 1 against the Rams.  White was out.  I think that's the only game.  Oliver was hurt in the Rams game and Hyde and Jackson were hurt game 2 against the Titans.  

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

One or two guys.  Lol.  That’s not what is happening

You are acting like we've missed Oliver/Hyde/Poyer/Edmunds/Milano/Groot/etc all together for multiple games.

My point is that's not the reality of the situation and it's really been one or two of these key guys at a time which still sucks but should change the entire defense and integrity of the scheme.

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Hard to not be skeptical they go this route…. They’ve proven they prefer defense time and time again…. Hell, McD and Beane told us multiple times how good Davis is and he is proof that you don’t need to take WRs early this past off season. 

You have a great Safety prospect sitting there at the end of round 1 vs a great WR prospect…. Going to have to keep McDermott out of the room to not take the safety. 

I’m with you. As you know I thought it was a bigger priority last off-season that was ignored…. 

I understand the scepticism. I was offensive line, receiver or corner last year and the way this year has played out I don't think I was wrong that corner was a need, is a premium position that can sink your season if you are bad there, and that simply taking Dane Jackson playing well as a given would be foolish. I do not see safety next year the same way. Yes, it is likely a need. But it is simply not a premium position in the same way. I think they will draft a safety in the first two days of the draft. I do not think that should be in the first round. 

Receiver or Offensive Tackle. 

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You are acting like we've missed Oliver/Hyde/Poyer/Edmunds/Milano/Groot/etc all together for multiple games.

My point is that's not the reality of the situation and it's really been one or two of these key guys at a time which still sucks but should change the entire defense and integrity of the scheme.

No, I’m definitely not.  

But you are definitely acting like we’re missing only Hyde or Hyde plus ONE other key player every week.  That is not the case.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.