Injuries NOT an excuse. Bills tied for 5th fewest man games lost to injury thru Week 11

Big Turk

15 minutes ago, Simon said:

Can you please tell me all the other teams that are currently missing more than this:

Both of their starting DE's

Their top two Offensive Linemen

Both of their starting CB's

Their MLB/defensive captain

1.5 of their two all-pro safeties

Their starting Y receiver

Thanks; I'll hang up and listen.......

I have to admit I stared at this puzzled for about 30 seconds before remembering Crowder is a person who exists.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

12 minutes ago, WideNine said:

That is something I picked up on too, because there is almost always subjective determinations or rankings with sports analytics.

The size of the bubble represents the impact of the players lost. Who makes that determination and how?

So, plots like these need to be taken with skepticism. PFF does this quite a bit with their formulas.

Not useless analytics, just the fact that you need to understand what they use for their metrics to come up with rankings and graphs and not just take them at face value.

Career AV, which is kind of the standard career value ranking created by Pro Football Reference. It's not perfect but it's pretty good.

17 minutes ago, Simon said:

Can you please tell me all the other teams that are currently missing more than this:

Both of their starting DE's

Their top two Offensive Linemen

Both of their starting CB's

Their MLB/defensive captain

1.5 of their two all-pro safeties

Their starting Y receiver

Thanks; I'll hang up and listen.......

Tennessee would be a pretty good comp. Harold Landry was out before the season started with an ACL and they have had tons of injuries...Tannehill missed two games also.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

A lot changes between now and the playoffs. That's where the disconnect with people comes from. We aren't playing with a mentally and physically  exhausted team that has been through a metric ton worth of crap over the past week and still managed to win 2 games in 5 days.

I'll tell you something else. You wouldn't see more than one or two other teams in the NFL win both those games under those circumstances.

What I’m saying is we have to get healthier. We can go far without Von Miller but we can’t go far with half the starting defense out.

Von signed here because we were already Super Bowl caliber. But we need to get healthier. 

8 minutes ago, wagon127 said:

The Bills are 8-3, a half game behind the number 1 seed in the AFC, who we have the tiebreaker against. We have yet to lose to a team with a losing record, and have beaten every other division leader in the AFC. Why are bills fans acting so horrible to our team? Every other Super Bowl champion for the last 50 years has lost regular season games.

That's what I have been trying to figure out. It's been all doom and gloom.

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

What I’m saying is we have to get healthier. We can go far without Von Miller but we can’t go far with half the starting defense out.

Von signed here because we were already Super Bowl caliber. But we need to get healthier. 

We need to get key players back at the right time. But every team will deal with injuries during the postseason and will unlikely be at full strength.

Just gotta overcome it. Bills have gotten pretty good at doing that, and that pays huge dividends when they get in big games and have to do it again.

10 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That's what I have been trying to figure out. It's been all doom and gloom.

We need to get key players back at the right time. But every team will deal with injuries during the postseason and will unlikely be at full strength.

Just gotta overcome it. Bills have gotten pretty good at doing that, and that pays huge dividends when they get in big games and have to do it again.

Key players. You said it. We can’t be without Hyde, White, Edmunds, Rousseau, and Miller at the same time. No defense is overcoming that in the playoffs.

This is the type of stuff they’ve delt with all year. They get players back and another couple players are out. It’s been Hyde, Poyer, Oliver, Phillips, White. Or Hyde, Poyer, White, Milano, Rousseau. 

It’s just never ending. Half the defense is always out. Give me a defense just missing Miller and Hyde, we can get by.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

So we’ve had 20 more games missed by starters than the team we’re one game behind in the standings for #1 overall seed.  

That number will likely grow after this week. 

But not an excuse?  Ok. 

I care about the 1 seed.  We’re 8-3.  We own the tiebreaker over KC.  

However, they’ve had a sizable health advantage over us, and that doesn’t include Allen now 3 games in the books playing hurt, in which we dropped 1 in OT. 

Id argue the metric you shared IS the difference between who owns the 1 seed right now. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Bills tied for 5th fewest man games lost to injury with only 83.

The difference? Many of them have been to key players unlike the last several years.

So the excuses the Bills are somehow more injured than every other team needs to stop. They are STILL one of the least injured teams in the NFL even with what seems like a crazy rash of injuries...we just don't see all the players out for other teams because we don't follow them very closely.

Injuries to non key players/starters would help as well.

They're a fumbled snap from 9-2, and the 3 losses are by 8 total points. There's no reason to panic. After this Thursday  they have a mini bye and hopefully get healthier.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Bills tied for 5th fewest man games lost to injury with only 83.

The difference? Many of them have been to key players unlike the last several years.

So the excuses the Bills are somehow more injured than every other team needs to stop. They are STILL one of the least injured teams in the NFL even with what seems like a crazy rash of injuries...we just don't see all the players out for other teams because we don't follow them very closely.

Injuries to non key players/starters would help as well.

No offense, but this is a complete waste of time post.  First, whose hurt is a bigger impact than how many games have been missed.  

Second, injuries played a major roll in our losses and recent struggles.  Miami game we had Tommy Sweeney play 5 snaps with a torn ACL because we didn’t have enough OL. Our backup center botched a FG snap.  We were missing 7 starters on defense, 5 OL, Knox, and more by end of the game.  We had 14 of our 22 starters out for all or part of the Miami game.  That’s 64% of our starters or guys who started that game.

Against Vikings, not only did we have all the injuries going into the game, but we lost Edmunds at halftime and the defense was worse after losing Edmunds.  

I can keep going on and on, but what’s the point.  To say injuries have not played a role in our struggles or losses is completely off base and 100% lacks context.  

So yeah, you’re wrong.  

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

They're a fumbled snap from 9-2, and the 3 losses are by 8 total points. There's no reason to panic. After this Thursday  they have a mini bye and hopefully get healthier.

This.   End of the day, and no offense to the OP, but what is the point of this thread.  This team could be easily undefeated but in all three games we beat ourselves (in spite of injuries). 

I think there was genuinely an expectation amongst some Bills fans that this team would go undefeated and dominate each of those games.  That narrative became even more 'real' because of how much we dominated in the first 2 games of the year.   As much as people 'poo poo' the statement.. it is hard to win in the NFL...  but at this point, I would continue to celebrate that from Top to bottom of this organization we are top 5 in this league, and, most likely for many years to come.  You can call it drinking the kool aid, or wearing rose colored glasses, but I call it being realistic.  This is a fantastic team that can genuinely win any given Sunday and to not embrace that after 17 years of mediocrity, well, kind sir,  for many reasons lacks some level of rational perspective.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Bills92 said:

This.   End of the day, and no offense to the OP, but what is the point of this thread.  This team could be easily undefeated but in all three games we beat ourselves (in spite of injuries). 

I think there was genuinely an expectation amongst some Bills fans that this team would go undefeated and dominate each of those games.  That narrative became even more 'real' because of how much we dominated in the first 2 games of the year.   As much as people 'poo poo' the statement.. it is hard to win in the NFL...  but at this point, I would continue to celebrate that from Top to bottom of this organization we are top 5 in this league, and, most likely for many years to come.  You can call it drinking the kool aid, or wearing rose colored glasses, but I call it being realistic.  This is a fantastic team that can genuinely win any given Sunday and to not embrace that after 17 years of mediocrity, well, kind sir,  for many reasons lacks some level of rational perspective.

Go Bills!

The point is people are crying in their beers here over an 8-3 team and saying we have all these injuries...newsflash. Every other team has them too.

Interesting topic, but generated first by couching the injury concerns as whining.

I have watched this team for a long time and cannot recall a season when so many key starters missed full games or portions of games or were playing banged up.

There have been some that have been close, but not quite this bad.

It's a legit concern, only compounded by having a new OL coach, new OC, new QB coach, and Allen struggling even prior to his injury (that we know of) leading a turnover-prone offense that has been less effective in the red zone.

This team has not felt "whole" since the first few games and has struggled pulling together 4 quarters of solid football so even the normally easy plays there for the taking have felt like daunting challenges.

The Miami game is likely a statistical outlier too in regards to how many players went down during the game, but were back the next week against the Ravens.

That may be a blip on the games missed chart but carried far more meaningful implications within our division.

• Like (+1) 1

The bills have more high end starters out this year than any team 

We’ve been without our linebackers in edmunds and Milano and points …. Without our safeties Hyde and poyer at points…. All pro tre white missing … #2 corner injured 

Ed Oliver got hurt , Rousseau got hurt 

We’re not losing depth players we’re losing contributors at a high rate

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.