Injuries NOT an excuse. Bills tied for 5th fewest man games lost to injury thru Week 11

Big Turk

26 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Bills tied for 5th fewest man games lost to injury with only 83.

The difference? Many of them have been to key players unlike the last several years.

So the excuses the Bills are somehow more injured than every other team needs to stop. They are STILL one of the least injured teams in the NFL even with what seems like a crazy rash of injuries...we just don't see all the players out for other teams because we don't follow them very closely.

Injuries to non key players/starters would help as well.

They’re doing a bad job determining the quality of players lost then imo…we decided extremely quickly that aj klein who was recently released by the bears was a better replacement for edmunds than Bernard/Dodson.  I can’t think of another team that had a situation like that.  

I also doubt it factors in players lost midgame and players playing hurt (ex josh Allen,Jordan poyer)

seems to me that they only factor in what they perceive as the quality of the player lost and not how big the falloff is to the replacement player that is forced into a starting role.  That is an extremely flawed methodology imo 

hamlin, Dane Jackson, cam Lewis, Bernard/Dodson have all been somewhere in between pretty bad and horrible and they all play defense 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

28 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The difference? Many of them have been to key players unlike the last several years.

So the excuses the Bills are somehow more injured than every other team needs to stop. They are STILL one of the least injured teams in the NFL even with what seems like a crazy rash of injuries...we just don't see all the players out for other teams because we don't follow them very closely.

when you are missing your best corner top 5 in NFL Tre, and best Safety top 5 in NFL, and best LB Milano top 5 in NFL, and best ML Edmunds and top 5 in NFL LB, and best DL Oliver top 10 in NFL, AND have injury to starting QB top 2 in NFL who literally carries team to victory.

yeah, injuries matter taken into that context.

Edited by cba fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We’ve lost 3 games by a combined 8 points.

What exactly are we making excuses for? Losing 3 games by a combined 8 points? 

The injuries have affected the defense. The offense not in a large numbers but the QB playing through injury and now our 2 best OL are hurt. Still scoring a lot of points and moving the ball.

The chart shows we’ve handled the injuries the best.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’ve lost 3 games by a combined 8 points.

What exactly are we making excuses for? Losing 3 games by a combined 8 points? 

The injuries have affected the defense. The offense not in a large numbers but the QB playing through injury and now our 2 best OL are hurt. Still scoring a lot of points and moving the ball.

That somehow we can't still win it all because of the injuries.

Can you please tell me all the other teams that are currently missing more than this:

Both of their starting DE's

Their top two Offensive Linemen

Both of their starting CB's

Their MLB/defensive captain

1.5 of their two all-pro safeties

Their starting Y receiver

Thanks; I'll hang up and listen.......

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

It's in the tweet with the bubble size. Bills have had bad luck in that regard.

That is something I picked up on too, because there is almost always subjective determinations or rankings with sports analytics.

The size of the bubble represents the impact of the players lost. Who makes that determination and how?

So, plots like these need to be taken with skepticism. PFF does this quite a bit with their formulas.

Not useless analytics, just the fact that you need to understand what they use for their metrics to come up with rankings and graphs and not just take them at face value.

I think the biggest debate going on right now that has the board split is that it appears that the same in game problems seem to exist over the last few years wether the team is healthy or not.  So now we're stuck in an injuries vs coaching circle.  I understand how both view points are getting people  frustrated.  We're all Bills fans here and only want the best for our team.  None of us are "not real fans" and I think that with that talk flying around it's only throwing gasoline on the fire.  But, I could be wrong, or maybe I'll be told I'm not a real fan. :P

• Agree 1

The whining about injuries and hyperbole like "I've never seen so many injuries" has been pretty absurd.

The Bills have been a remarkably healthy team under McDermott and have still been one of the healthier teams this year.

Bottom line:  it's harder to maintain consistently excellent defense than it is offense.    Once you have a great QB it's hard to hold an offense down.   But you can have 7 studs on defense but a couple injuries can lead to assignment errors that undermine everything else.    The Bills are experiencing that with a relatively normal attrition rate.  

Additionally, every season a player or two unexpectedly gets exposed.    Most recently it's definitely Dane Jacksons lack of ball skills with his back to the QB.   Similar to what teams figured out with Edmunds a couple seasons ago when his passer rating against skyrocketed.   If the worst thing that can happen is a ball ending up on the turf that's usually a risk worth taking.

The chart is data, and it is useful data, but it does not stand alone.   It assumes that every data point (player injured) has the same impact, which is does not.   As if Josh Allen missing a game has the impact of Nathan Peterman missing a game. 

Example:  KC has very low number of injuries relative to the rest of the teams.  Take Mahomes out for the remaining games and see what the impact is.  They will still be in a favorable position on the chart but that one injury could very likely cause a drastic change to their season.  

Injuries to star players, quarterbacks, multiple players injured in one positional group (i.e. secondary, OL, DL), can have a bigger impact than the raw data suggests.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

The chart is data, and it is useful data, but it does not stand alone.   It assumes that every data point (player injured) has the same impact, which is does not.   As if Josh Allen missing a game has the impact of Nathan Peterman missing a game. 

Example:  KC has very low number of injuries relative to the rest of the teams.  Take Mahomes out for the remaining games and see what the impact is.  They will still be in a favorable position on the chart but that one injury could very likely cause a drastic change to their season.  

Injuries to star players, quarterbacks, multiple players injured in one positional group (i.e. secondary, OL, DL), can have a bigger impact than the raw data suggests.  

The graph adds quality and win totals. Bills bubble likely grows with Von Miller, Dawkins, and Morse added. It’s been unbelievable.

39 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

What’s the excuse….they are are 8-3 and a tick away from the one seed

The Bills are 8-3, a half game behind the number 1 seed in the AFC, who we have the tiebreaker against. We have yet to lose to a team with a losing record, and have beaten every other division leader in the AFC. Why are bills fans acting so horrible to our team? Every other Super Bowl champion for the last 50 years has lost regular season games.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I'm sorry. It I can't look at this roaster and the injuries, and not see this as a problem. Anyone who follows this team knows these are key injuries. So we can post stuff like this and act like tough guys but the fact is, the Bills would be better off without these key injuries. 
josh Allen's elbow- Not an excuse, he needs to throw with the same Zip and accuracy

Hyde and white out- not an excuse, the backups need to play at all

pro levels

Edmonds injured- no excuse shorter less athletic back ups need to grow and play at pro bowl levels.
Is anyone feeling sorry for us? NOPE

should we feel sorry for us-NOPE

excuses- NO

reasons we are not "looking like the team we know they can be"-Yes 

1 minute ago, wagon127 said:

The Bills are 8-3, a half game behind the number 1 seed in the AFC, who we have the tiebreaker against. We have yet to lose to a team with a losing record, and have beaten every other division leader in the AFC. Why are bills fans acting so horrible to our team? Every other Super Bowl champion for the last 50 years has lost regular season games.

It’s some weird masochist complex. We should be extremely proud of what this team has accomplished. It’s basically unheard of for a team to have to travel back to the same stadium within 5 days and win both.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I would have to agree. The team that finished yesterday’s game is not winning the Super Bowl. 

A lot changes between now and the playoffs. That's where the disconnect with people comes from. We aren't playing with a mentally and physically  exhausted team that has been through a metric ton worth of crap over the past week and still managed to win 2 games in 5 days.

I'll tell you something else. You wouldn't see more than one or two other teams in the NFL win both those games under those circumstances.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.