Dorsey Play Design Issues

Donuts and Doritos

Greg Cosell & Tasker have a real interesting take on problems with Dorsey's scheme / play calling (14:45 - 16:22). Expects WR's to win 1 on 1 every time, doesn't stack them w/ rubs & picks to scheme them open. Tasker points out there's no quick slants to get the ball out quickly & early to take pressure off the O-line & Josh. Watching the last 2 games it's noticeable (though he did call screens that just didn't work. & The quick 5yd pass to take the cushion yds was a nice adjustment yesterday).

My kids pointed out that when Davis motions back to the formation it's a run every time. It was a pretty predictable tell yesterday (I imagine the Lions saw it on film). 

The Offense struggles lately are reminiscent of last year, which they turned around. I get they're dealing with injuries, guys aren't executing & Dorsey is a 1st year OC. But I'm interested to see what tendency / issues they have that they can change scheme / play calling wise to get back on track. Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Greg Cosell & Tasker have a real interesting take on problems with Dorsey's scheme / play calling (14:45 - 16:22). Expects WR's to win 1 on 1 every time, doesn't stack them w/ rubs & picks to scheme them open. Tasker points out there's no quick slants to get the ball out quickly & early to take pressure off the O-line & Josh. Watching the last 2 games it's noticeable (though he did call screens that just didn't work. & The quick 5yd pass to take the cushion yds was a nice adjustment yesterday).

My kids pointed out that when Davis motions back to the formation it's a run every time. It was a pretty predictable tell yesterday (I imagine the Lions saw it on film). 

The Offense struggles lately are reminiscent of last year, which they turned around. I get they're dealing with injuries, guys aren't executing & Dorsey is a 1st year OC. But I'm interested to see what tendency / issues they have that they can change scheme / play calling wise to get back on track. Thoughts?

That's my exact thinking when I talk about creativity. When Davis goes into motion, fake the run and hit him with a quick out. You have to make the "tendencies" an advantage for the offense. Some middle screens to Knox. Roll Josh out and throw wheel routes the opposite way to the RBs (Cook/Hines), etc

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The lack of "stacks" in the scheme design to give Josh more single defender reads is sometbing I brought up 3 weeks ago. At the moment the passing concepts remind me a bit of the Greg Roman / Chris Palmer pass game design. It priortises giving each receiver "space" in which to work but it puts a greater emphasis on guys to win their 1v1 and Josh the find the guys that won as opposed to Daboll's design which had some of that but mixed it in with some clever designs to put a single DB in a bind and let Josh make a quick decision depending which way that defender jumps. 

Look he is a first year OC so he deserves some time to figure this stuff out a bit but we are not as creative on offense right now as we have been and as I would want us to be.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 6

It’s mind boggling how some schmucks like us on the internet see these issues but NFL coaches spending 100 hours a week watching film can’t. 

I say it every week but there’s nothing creative about our offense. Every yard and TD can look so difficult. 

Even our scripted plays to start games are tough to watch. Nothing easy to get the offense and Josh into a rhythm. It looks too much like backyard football with guys running around and Josh hoping someone gets open. 

It’s really frustrating and I highly question whether Dorsey figures things out for next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Unfortunately, this is all true.  Early in the season it didn't matter as much because there was no film on Dorsey's offense.  Nobody knew what to expect from him.  But as the games have moved along, it has become very apparent that he runs a basic offense with little to no creativity.  There is no scheming guys open like there was with Daboll.  Daboll would constantly use motions, misdirection, and other eye candy to scheme certain guys open on a specific play.  There would be so much eye candy at times, it would cause defenses to take a couple extra beats to figure out what was going on, but that would be plenty to get guys open.  While it didn't always work, you could just see the creativity.  He would also build man beaters and zone beaters into just about every play so once he used his motions and got Allen to diagnose the overages pre-snap, he knew exactly where to go with the ball.

Dorsey is doing the opposite.  He's not running a ton of motion.  He's not helping Allen be able to see what the defense is in pre-snap.  He's lining guys up, hoping they win their match-ups, and letting Allen try and find the open guy as the play develops.  Too many times it's been easy for me to tell what play is being run just by the alignments before the snap.  Perfect example was the QB sneak at the end of the Vikings game.  They had been using the same motion with the same player and the same pacing for weeks prior to that play.  Everyone watching knew what was coming and the Vikings were able to guess right and blow it up.  If there was ever a time to try something different, that was it and he didn't have anything.  That's not how things should be done in today's NFL. 

Too many times Allen is waiting for the play to be run, not seeing anyone get open within the structure of the actual call and then going into scramble drills where he needs his WRs to win outside of the structure of the play call.  While Allen hasn't been his best at times this year, it's mainly because he's not getting any help.  In fact, he's still hiding a lot of the deficiencies this team actually has and that's scary.  Dorsey isn't doing Allen any favors right now and it is frustrating to watch.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 8

25 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The lack of "stacks" in the scheme design to give Josh more single defender reads is sometbing I brought up 3 weeks ago. At the moment the passing concepts remind me a bit of the Greg Roman / Chris Palmer pass game design. It priortises giving each receiver "space" in which to work but it puts a greater emphasis on guys to win their 1v1 and Josh the find the guys that won as opposed to Daboll's design which had some of that but mixed it in with some clever designs to put a single DB in a bind and let Josh make a quick decision depending which way that defender jumps. 

Look he is a first year OC so he deserves some time to figure this stuff out a bit but we are not as creative on offense right now as we have been and as I would want us to be.

I agree.  Then offense lacks creativity and has predictable tendencies that opposing teams have figured out... hence more interceptions especially in the condensed spaced within the red zone. 

I don’t understand why a playbook doesn’t stay with the team and we have to let a new OC reinvent the wheel.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, sven233 said:

Unfortunately, this is all true.  Early in the season it didn't matter as much because there was no film on Dorsey's offense.  Nobody knew what to expect from him.  But as the games have moved along, it has become very apparent that he runs a basic offense with little to no creativity.  There is no scheming guys open like there was with Daboll.  Daboll would constantly use motions, misdirection, and other eye candy to scheme certain guys open on a specific play.  There would be so much eye candy at times, it would cause defenses to take a couple extra beats to figure out what was going on, but that would be plenty to get guys open.  While it didn't always work, you could just see the creativity.  He would also build man beaters and zone beaters into just about every play so once he used his motions and got Allen to diagnose the overages pre-snap, he knew exactly where to go with the ball.

Dorsey is doing the opposite.  He's not running a ton of motion.  He's not helping Allen be able to see what the defense is in pre-snap.  He's lining guys up, hoping they win their match-ups, and letting Allen try and find the open guy as the play develops.  Too many times it's been easy for me to tell what play is being run just by the alignments before the snap.  Perfect example was the QB sneak at the end of the Vikings game.  They had been using the same motion with the same player and the same pacing for weeks prior to that play.  Everyone watching knew what was coming and the Vikings were able to guess right and blow it up.  If there was ever a time to try something different, that was it and he didn't have anything.  That's not how things should be done in today's NFL. 

Too many times Allen is waiting for the play to be run, not seeing anyone get open within the structure of the actual call and then going into scramble drills where he needs his WRs to win outside of the structure of the play call.  While Allen hasn't been his best at times this year, it's mainly because he's not getting any help.  In fact, he's still hiding a lot of the deficiencies this team actually has and that's scary.  Dorsey isn't doing Allen any favors right now and it is frustrating to watch.

Yes! Yesterday there was a 3rd and 7 (I believe) and we see a 7 step drop. Allen waiting more than 3 seconds for a receiver to get open then a sack and punt. Why not a quick out, or slant, or pick? We don't need a 30 yard play there. We need 8 yards to move the sticks and get into a rhythm. 

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

We’re also completely missing designed bootlegs to isolate someone like Davis or Knox for an easy 5-8 yards. Mac Jones did it all the time last night. 

The Bills have never been able to run a proper TE bootleg, almost ever. Maybe Jim Kelly days was the last consistent success on that play. Even when they run one now with “success,” it’s like a 5-yard gain. 

Yes our offensive design is a dumpster fire right now.  It expects our guys to win their battles when we dont really have guys that do that regularly.  It puts too much pressure on Josh to be perfect and throw in small windows for most of the game.  Its a damn catastophe that Matt Patricia can scheme guys open and Dorsey relies on this.  It also relies on our o line to hold their blocks well to give Josh and the receiver time and they dont which is part of the reason Knox is not part of this passing offense.

This offense design might work really well if we had players like Hill and Waddle but we dont.  We have slow guys that rely on crisp route running to get open and Diggs is the only crisp route runner.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

He's a rookie.  I know that's an unsatisfying thought for a team with SB aspirations but every coordinator who went on to become a great coordinator had a rookie season and they'd probably all tell you about the bounteous mistakes they made.

By the way we average the second most points in the NFL, so there's that.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

We’re also completely missing designed bootlegs to isolate someone like Davis or Knox for an easy 5-8 yards. Mac Jones did it all the time last night. 

Josh is exclusively flushing to the right.  Daboll had plays that let Josh move to his left.  I always thought that was effective to

reverse that tendency.  

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

To defend Dorsey, I saw some really

nifty new misdirection run plays yesterday. I think he is continuing to build and innovate. 

I've mentioned the lack of misdirection.  It should not just be on run plays.

A glaring problem I noticed yesterday was the number of check-downs, WR screens and flares that were totally read by the defense.

It has to mean the offense is way too predictable and has way too many "tells".  

It seems to me this has to be addressed in the next 2 weeks.  Especially with a 10 day mini-break coming up soon.

I know Dorsey is new and we would have to live through this but it's becoming too obvious and actually is putting Josh in danger.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

He's a rookie.  I know that's an unsatisfying thought for a team with SB aspirations but every coordinator who went on to become a great coordinator had a rookie season and they'd probably all tell you about the bounteous mistakes they made.

By the way we average the second most points in the NFL, so there's that.

This is true, not to mention that the only team averaging more points and yards per game has one of the most talented Offensive minds in league history with 20+ years of play calling experience. 

What’s unfortunate is that we don’t seem to have anyone else in the building to assist as Dorsey comes into his own. McD just doesn’t have the knowledge and experience on that side of the ball. It’s not an ideal situation to be in to compete for a title.. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.