Kudos to Leslie Frazier and his staff

gjv

The Bills defense has been playing with 45% of its opening season starting roster unavailable. I'm familiar with the adage "next man up". But typically the next man up isn't as good as the player he is replacing. That's why I'm tipping my hat to Frazier and his staff. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 14
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 10
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Sorry can't agree too many 3rd and forevers converted. The the d line rotation is baffling. Your reward for a good play is to come out and sit. One play we destroy the OL the next no penetration. Some players need to get on a roll to dominate and coming in and out isn't how to make that happen. That said go bills

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

Just now, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

Sorry can't agree too many 3rd and forevers converted. The the d line rotation is baffling. Your reward for a good play is to come out and sit. One play we destroy the OL the next no penetration. Some players need to get on a roll to dominate and coming in and out isn't how to make that happen. That said go bills

The same goes for every single defense in nfl history. 

Basham, Shaq and Mike Love

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

So the 45% part didn't register with you?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gjv said:

The Bills defense has been playing with 45% of its opening season starting roster unavailable. I'm familiar with the adage "next man up". But typically the next man up isn't as good as the player he is replacing. That's why I'm tipping my hat to Frazier and his staff. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can't do it!! Explain how he gives St. Brown (Lions best receiver) a 10yd cushion on 3rd and 14. Even McDermott was questioning the defense when talking with Tracy Wolfson. I don't expect the backups to play to the level of the starters, but I do expect the coordinator to cover up their weaknesses

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

The same goes for every single defense in nfl history. 

Basham, Shaq and Mike Love

Shaq has played well and should see more time, IMO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

The the d line rotation is baffling.

A heavy D-line rotation keeps the players fresh so they're not gassed in the 4th quarter. It was a trademark of the Super Bowl-era Bills and it's served the modern Bills quite well.

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I don't expect the backups to play to the level of the starters, but I do expect the coordinator to cover up their weaknesses

See Promo's comment above.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

Lol if you’re waiting for our fifth round picks and league minimums guys to “dominate,” you’re gonna be waiting a LONG time. Be thankful that they played well enough to make the roster.

• Agree 1

Couldn't agree more OP.  We all saw how the defense played at the start of the season when healthy.  The parade of defensive injuries kicked off in Week 1 with Oliver getting hurt and it hasn't stopped yet.  The defense has been forced to play practice squad elevations some weeks with key players in and out of the lineup constantly.

The fact that we are sitting here at 8-3 is incredible.  I hope we can finally get the defense healthy for the playoff stretch and bring back the roster that throttled the Rams, Titans and Chiefs. 

I hope the people advocating for Frazier to be fired are trolls.  If not I think they need to lay off the egg nog.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Can't do it!! Explain how he gives St. Brown (Lions best receiver) a 10yd cushion on 3rd and 14. Even McDermott was questioning the defense when talking with Tracy Wolfson. I don't expect the backups to play to the level of the starters, but I do expect the coordinator to cover up their weaknesses

Maybe this is what covering weaknesses looks like at 50% of capacity? 

3 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

It was precisely BECAUSE Leslie is covering their weaknesses that St Brown had such a big cushion. Benford and Jackson cannot turn and run with these top receivers. We have seen that. Leslie is covering for their athleticism deficiencies by designing the D to keep the ball infront of them, not let them get beat over the top. That is the Bills' style anyway, but normally they then will throw some mixed looks in when they have teams behind the sticks. They are playing more consistently what you might call "soft" coverage, and being more vanilla in their looks precisely to cover the weaknesses of the backups a bit better.

And McDermott was clear about what was annoying him early - they were not executing the defense. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

5 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Shaq has played well and should see more time, IMO

I agree.  He will.  From my eye, he’s MUCH more disruptive than Boogie and AJ.  Time for them to step up and show why we used 2nd rd picks on them.  But I expect Shaq to be our 2nd best DE til von comes back

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

You'll probably get ***** on in this thread but you are right.  People here seem to take the next man up thing too seriously.  Next man up doesnt apply when its half of your defense.  I seen something or heard something yesterday.  Every starter on this defense has missed time this year except I think it was Daquan Johnson and one other rotation role player.  Thats just insanely bad luck.  

Coaching has to do a good job to get where they are with all these injuries.  I hate all the third and longs we give up and I complain in GDT about it but I also know thats what happens when you field a roster of role players.  

Edited by Scott7975

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

It was precisely BECAUSE Leslie is covering their weaknesses that St Brown had such a big cushion. Benford and Jackson cannot turn and run with these top receivers. We have seen that. Leslie is covering for their athleticism deficiencies by designing the D to keep the ball infront of them, not let them get beat over the top. That is the Bills' style anyway, but normally they then will throw some mixed looks in when they have teams behind the sticks. They are playing more consistently what you might call "soft" coverage, and being more vanilla in their looks precisely to cover the weaknesses of the backups a bit better.

And McDermott was clear about what was annoying him early - they were not executing the defense. 

Yeah, but you also can't allow pitch and catch. Oliver, Jones, Phillips were disruptive in the middle of the line. Allow them the time to get after the QB. 

Just now, Solomon Grundy said:

Yeah, but you also can't allow pitch and catch. Oliver, Jones, Phillips were disruptive in the middle of the line. Allow them the time to get after the QB. 

It is pick your poison. Personally with what they have I think it is the lesser of two evils. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

38 minutes ago, gjv said:

I assume you are trying to say that 5 of 11 projected defensive STARTERS are "unavailable ". NOT the entire "roster".

Hyde,Poyer and White obviously have missed significant time. Who else are you including? Miller hasnt missed time until yesterday's game. Are you counting ONE game missed,or the entire season to date,or what?

5 minutes ago, Herb Nightly said:

I assume you are trying to say that 5 of 11 projected defensive STARTERS are "unavailable ". NOT the entire "roster".

Hyde,Poyer and White obviously have missed significant time. Who else are you including? Miller hasnt missed time until yesterday's game. Are you counting ONE game missed,or the entire season to date,or what?

Rousseau's missed two games, Edmunds has missed two games. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.