We have a serious Dane Jackson problem

Turbo44

46 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

While this may not have needed another thread, it seems like a hot topic.

Dane has good coverage skills. He needs to work on his ball skills and getting his head around at the right time. He is not a bust. He is way better #2 than Levi Wallace, but he’s not a #1-type corner. He still has room to grow, in my opinion.

Against Detroit, Goff was throwing the ball really well. He surprised me, frankly. I didn’t think he had that in him. His receivers, much like the past couple games, played above their normal ceiling. They had some great catches and the routes and positioning were really good technically.

Dane was not out of position much the past several weeks. He just needs to be better closing the deal.

Can only say this so many times though..

Zach Wilson played above his ability 

Kirk Cousins made perfect throws

Jacoby Brissett played above his ability 

Jared Goff played above his ability 

At a certain point it isn’t everyone else, it’s you … We were able to hide Dane when we had a ton of talent out there.  Without that, he’s exposed as the depth corner/fringe starter he is. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don't think he's as bad as he has looked the last few weeks.  He's usually not in bad position,  he's just not making plays on the ball. The injuries to Hyde, Edmunds and Poyer haven't done him any favors,  and it certainly doesn't help,  either,  that he has faced two of the best WRs in the NFC in the last three weeks.  I still think he can be a solid 2nd or 3rd CB,  but he's still a young CB and they're asking a lot of him right now.  I'm not surprised he's struggling,  but I also wouldn't give up on him. 

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Can only say this so many times though..

Zach Wilson played above his ability 

Kirk Cousins made perfect throws

Jacoby Brissett played above his ability 

Jared Goff played above his ability 

At a certain point it isn’t everyone else, it’s you … We were able to hide Dane when we had a ton of talent out there.  Without that, he’s exposed as the depth corner/fringe starter he is. 

You must admit that some of the quarterback play is more related to non-pressure, though. There’s not too many NFL quarterbacks who can’t thread the needle when given enough time. Even Geno fricken Smith. Okay, maybe not Baker.

I can accept what you are saying. I just think a little (not a lot) more of Dane than you do. 

21 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Don’t keep being “one of those guys” on here. You were always a valued poster. You are starting to become another whiner. Look at the film and clean up your game.

LOL what? I don't think I'm the only one who thinks Dane Jackson needs some help or that he isn't cutting it. Also, anyone and everyone would want white playing and making an impact. I actually think our defense has done fairly well considering all the injuries, but Dane has been a liability 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

LOL what? I don't think I'm the only one who thinks Dane Jackson needs some help or that he isn't cutting it. Also, anyone and everyone would want white playing and making an impact. I actually think our defense has done fairly well considering all the injuries, but Dane has been a liability 

Just saying what I’m seeing. No need to harp on the negative. No problem.

Dane Jackson has a size problem.  Looks like he has no arm span to bat those close balls away.  I don't believe he belongs in the Bills Secondary from what I've seen of his often victimization.  He seems to get picked on and there is good reason for it.  I think that is one area they should and could improve on in the Secondary.

Edited by Reverse Meathead

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

I should add its not just Dane Jackson. It's the secondary in general. Really need our starters to get healthy 

I would remind you that we have only one healthy player in his native position. Taron Johnson. Poyer is a shadow of himself out there right now, with one arm almost literally tied behind his back. Yes, they look pretty weak as a unit. There is a darn good reason for it. Dane is one of those playing out of his native position. There is a huge difference between having to hold down the #1 slot on the outside, and being the #2 guy. Dane is just not THE #1 guy by NFL standards.

5 minutes ago, Reverse Meathead said:

Dane Jackson has a size problem.  Looks like he has no arm span to bat those close balls away.  I don't believe he belongs in the Bills Secondary from what I've seen of his often victimization.  He seems to get picked on and there is good reason for it.  I think that is one area they should and could improve on in the Secondary.

Dane is 5'11", Tre is 5'11"; which is the normal height for a DB.  Dane's issue is talent and technique...7th rounder for a reason.  Beane even said when we picked him, "well we really needed a CB there, so we chose him."  Not exactly a ringing endorsement

At some point didn’t everyone expect for Dane and Benford to get exposed a little? Do we really believe they can just pluck any db and make them an all pro? The defensive pass rush was on fire to start the year, that covered up the lack of talent in the secondary. 
They’ll play fine if the pass rush ever returns. Let’s not pretend that the last couple years being 100% healthy the secondary didn’t still struggle in key moments when the pass rush was lacking. 

• Like (+1) 1

I guess I am in the minority. Dane is a very solid #2 CB. I would throw out the Vikings game because it was Jefferson, who does that to everyone. And the browns game was a little misleading because Cooper was in the slot a lot (and Brissett  was making some crazy throws there too).

Dane plays very tight coverage, plays the ball well, and is great in run support. I think he has had some spells of bad luck recently, or QBs making just ridiculous throws. The TD he gave up to Chalk was as perfect coverage you can get and just a perfect throw and catch.

Moreover, if the pass rush were better recently, some of his recent flaws would be hidden too. 

I hope they stick with him. Once Tre and Elam are back, I can see a nice rotation there. 

• Agree 1

Dane is now finding out that being a number one corner is hard. He did good as a two, but now these top guys are making tough catches...his coverage is good, but his ball skills need work.

So now it's on him to work on improving that if he wants to keep ascending. If he can't, them he may get pushed down the depth chart by Elam and Tre.

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

Dane is 5'11", Tre is 5'11"; which is the normal height for a DB.  Dane's issue is talent and technique...7th rounder for a reason.  Beane even said when we picked him, "well we really needed a CB there, so we chose him."  Not exactly a ringing endorsement

They need NBA type wing span like Kevin Durant in there at corner.  He has some wing span.  Anybody in the NBA would do.  😜

2 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

While this may not have needed another thread, it seems like a hot topic.

Dane has good coverage skills. He needs to work on his ball skills and getting his head around at the right time. He is not a bust. He is way better #2 than Levi Wallace, but he’s not a #1-type corner. He still has room to grow, in my opinion.

Against Detroit, Goff was throwing the ball really well. He surprised me, frankly. I didn’t think he had that in him. His receivers, much like the past couple games, played above their normal ceiling. They had some great catches and the routes and positioning were really good technically.

Dane was not out of position much the past several weeks. He just needs to be better closing the deal.

This is the best synopsis of Dane. He'll be a very good CB3 behind Tre & Elam but he does need to work on 2 things. Getting his head turned and pass deflections. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.