We have a serious Dane Jackson problem

Turbo44

I know he's only a 7th round pick, and was deemed a future superstar by Romo yesterday (does Romo watch film??), but literally 80% of Detroit's passing was geared to whomever he was covering. Tight coverage or not, he was constantly burned.  Johnson gave up the one 4th down TD, but other than that, it's hard to recall seeing Tre, #47 or Elam all during the game.  That's because Goff new he shouldn't challenge them and just go after Dane.  If Goff doesn't make a terrible throw on 3rd and one with 30 seconds left, Dane would have burned for a killer TD also.  He was also terrible vs Cleveland.

Good news is when Tre comes back he'll be on the sidelines.  My question is why we didn't see Rhodes yesterday (who was quite good for Cleveland) or more of Elam and 47, with Dane benched??

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'd say it's Hamlin who is the weakest player on our D. Hamlin missed 3 tackles that change the drive/game yesterday. Hamlin supposed to cover deep on 2 throws yesterday thus making Dane try to make a brilliant play. Dane was yelling at Hamlin on a few plays yesterday. It's Hamlin creating ALL of the empty route holes for opposing O's. Dane can tackle in open space, hits the receiver at the line, covers like glue. It's when Hamlin blows away in the wind that Dane has to cover and yesterday he got burned because of it. Tre will be the same. We need Hamlin to play better or get Hyde back. Dane is so not the issue.

• Disagree 1

While this may not have needed another thread, it seems like a hot topic.

Dane has good coverage skills. He needs to work on his ball skills and getting his head around at the right time. He is not a bust. He is way better #2 than Levi Wallace, but he’s not a #1-type corner. He still has room to grow, in my opinion.

Against Detroit, Goff was throwing the ball really well. He surprised me, frankly. I didn’t think he had that in him. His receivers, much like the past couple games, played above their normal ceiling. They had some great catches and the routes and positioning were really good technically.

Dane was not out of position much the past several weeks. He just needs to be better closing the deal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

8 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

I'd say it's Hamlin who is the weakest player on our D. Hamlin missed 3 tackles that change the drive/game yesterday. Hamlin supposed to cover deep on 2 throws yesterday thus making Dane try to make a brilliant play. Dane was yelling at Hamlin on a few plays yesterday. It's Hamlin creating ALL of the empty route holes for opposing O's. Dane can tackle in open space, hits the receiver at the line, covers like glue. It's when Hamlin blows away in the wind that Dane has to cover and yesterday he got burned because of it. Tre will be the same. We need Hamlin to play better or get Hyde back. Dane is so not the issue.

He did despite that video analysis last week extoling the future greatness of Hamlin

1 minute ago, Dillenger4 said:

Like I said about Dane, Hamlin has some real nice skills. The way we are comparing is suspect. If you expect Hyde and get Hamlin, you are going to be very disappointed. Hamlin could be a Hyde with more experience and coaching. He’s clearly not that in year 2.

When your top leaders and QBs of the secondary (Hyde) are gone, or severely limited (Poyer), and your best cover guy is - wherever he is in his recovery - you get what we are seeing. This experience is going a long, long way toward their development, but is in no way an even exchange for our starting back end. When only Taron is left in his actual starting position, you’re screwed no matter who you have waiting in the wings.

Dane is a decent #2 or a wonderful #3. He’s not ready for #1. Hamlin is a high ceiling backup with lots of potential. He’s likewise not ready for prime time, yet.

6 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Like I said about Dane, Hamlin has some real nice skills. The way we are comparing is suspect. If you expect Hyde and get Hamlin, you are going to be very disappointed. Hamlin could be a Hyde with more experience and coaching. He’s clearly not that in year 2.

When your top leaders and QBs of the secondary (Hyde) are gone, or severely limited (Poyer), and your best cover guy is - wherever he is in his recovery - you get what we are seeing. This experience is going a long, long way toward their development, but is in no way an even exchange for our starting back end. When only Taron is left in his actual starting position, you’re screwed no matter who you have waiting in the wings.

Dane is a decent #2 or a wonderful #3. He’s not ready for #1. Hamlin is a high ceiling backup with lots of potential. He’s likewise not ready for prime time, yet.

Edmunds also shrinks other guys zones due to how rangy and big he is. Working around him was a problem in the first half for Cousins the other week. The change after he went out was notable; flatter and shallower passes in the intermediate routes haven’t been contested in the past two weeks. 

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, Steptide said:

The bills have to do something. Teams are just gonna abuse him every week. Belichick is gonna see this on film and go after him next week. 

What do you recommend? Are there street free agents sitting around in week 12 that are better?

23 minutes ago, Dillenger4 said:

This is why Leslie Frazier deserves credit, not blame.

Dane Jackson, Christian Benford, and Damar Hamlin are recent Day 3 draft picks who should not be starters on any NFL team, much less a Super Bowl favorite team. That's not to say they're useless players - all 3 have had their moments this year (and Hamlin has generally been good in run support). It's just that they are all limited/role player guys pressed into critical roles. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Edmunds also shrinks other guys zones due to how rangy and big he is. Working around him was a problem in the first half for Cousins the other week. The change after he went out was notable; flatter and shallower passes in the intermediate routes haven’t been contested in the past two weeks. 

You are so very right!

Edmunds is a big deal in this defense. Screw all the Edmunds haters here. He is clearly a guy we need on the field today and moving forward. He has stepped up his game big time this year. You can see how much he is missed when he’s not playing.

You just cannot ask too much from guys that are good doing their 1/11th but are not capable of covering the entire field. Frankly, no one, even Sauce is.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

What do you recommend? Are there street free agents sitting around in week 12 that are better?

Unlikely, but maybe give him some safety help or rotate him with someone else. Honestly I don't know. Hopefully tre starts getting more snaps. We really need him 

28 minutes ago, NewEra said:

You needed your very own Dane Jockson thread?

28 minutes ago, Mooshocker12 said:

The thread police strike again. Bahahaha

Who's this Dane Jockson you reference?  All aplogies and sorry for disrupting your day....I read the first 10-15 threads on the site and the "Dane was toast" one was way down the list and I didn't see it

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

This is why Leslie Frazier deserves credit, not blame.

Dane Jackson, Christian Benford, and Damar Hamlin are recent Day 3 draft picks who should not be starters on any NFL team, much less a Super Bowl favorite team. That's not to say they're useless players - all 3 have had their moments this year (and Hamlin has generally been good in run support). It's just that they are all limited/role player guys pressed into critical roles. 

Those guys also have a lot of growth potential ahead of them moving forward!

1 minute ago, Steptide said:

Unlikely, but maybe give him some safety help or rotate him with someone else. Honestly I don't know. Hopefully tre starts getting more snaps. We really need him 

We really need Tre, we really need Hyde and we really need a fully healthy Poyer. Right now, we don’t have them.

Don’t keep being “one of those guys” on here. You were always a valued poster. You are starting to become another whiner. Look at the film and clean up your game.

16 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

That thread had some very subtle differences from this one. This one appears to be quite nuanced.

Correct. Dane Jackson was toast is retrospective looking. This one is about the Dane Jackson problem going forward. 

And with that, I will issue a reminder that last year was our year.

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.