Gabe Davis - Getting a Bum Rap From Some Fans

jwhit34

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I repeat my question:  is your concern about the negative effect of fan criticism unique to Davis, or does it extend to other players who have become fan "whipping boys" after a few notable gaffs?  Isaiah McKenzie is the current favorite "whipping boy" on this board, for example.

I answered your question in one of my paragraphs. 

30 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m the first person to defend bills here I really am

The problem is we really want him to be like a 1a wide receiver and while he has had some great games, I don’t feel like he’s gotten there yet that’s not to say that he won’t get there he needs to continue to work

It’s frustrating because he has all the physical tools he’s just not making the plays

8 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Gabe Davis only has 3 routes in his repertoire. And all the NFL teams know what they are.

No, what is frustrating is that he’s not catching the ball for the game changing plays

he literally could’ve won a game for us that we lost this year

having him on the hands team on and on sides drill is puzzling

• Like (+1) 1

In the beginning of the seasons everyone was excited to see how Gabe followed up his 4TD performance against the Chiefs in the playoffs.  All the buzz about a WR being the #1 pick quickly faded, the thought of adding OBJ was considered nonsense.  11 games into the season, it’s apparent that maybe we were all wrong about Gabe being a high end #2.  I’m extremely hopeful we can sign OBJ and that he’s somewhat in the same form he was prior to his ACL injury.

I’m still confused as to why Knox is rarely targeted even though Gabe is struggling and our slot WRs have been underwhelming.  

Edited by TheWeatherMan

On 11/25/2022 at 6:57 AM, jwhit34 said:

Going into the season, a lot of the buzz about the offense was about Gabe Davis "taking the next step" and becoming a big time WR2. Now, a significant portion of fans say he is a disappointment. 

I think a fair expectation going into the season to be considered a top end WR2 would be a season with 60-70 receptions, 900-1,000 yards and 7-9 TDs. 

Davis missed 1 game due to injury, so in the 10 games he has played he now has 33 receptions, 650 yards and 5 TDs. How does that compare to expectations?

• He ranks #22 in receiving yards per game, and the only WR2s ahead of him are Waddle and Higgins.
  • Only 10 WRs have more TDs
  • At 65 yards per game, that extrapolates out to 1,105 over 17 games. If he averages 65/game the rest of the year, it would be 1,040 in 16 games.
  • He has 5 TDs in 10 games played so if he keeps up that pace he will have 8 TDs.
  • The receptions are lighter, he would end at 53 at 3.3/game

Yes, the drops are not good, but if you were asked before the beginning of the season would you take a 53-1,040-8 stat line for Davis this year? I am guessing almost everyone would, especially if you said Diggs was going to also have the year he's having. 

I have thought for a long time a lot of Bills fans overvalued Don Beebe, whose career highs with the Bills were 40 catches ('94) and 554 yards ('92). Davis is moving into undervalued territory.

I don’t know what his drop rate is today, but a week or two ago he was dropping 17% of his catchable balls on the season and was third in league in total drops, with a catch rate of 54% for his career.  

I don’t think he was getting a bum rap, his drops cost us drives in games we lost.  He also dropped a critical pass on the late drive in the Vikes game the refs missed and Josh quickly snapped the ball to cover up.  

I was very high on Gabe all off season, I’m still optimistic about him.  But I don’t think it’s a “bum rap” when you’re a professional starting WE and dropping 17% of your passes with a career history of low catch rate.  

He has also made plenty of good plays, he’s not a lost cause or a disaster.  But the concerns have been warranted.  

He also has struggled to win his routes and most often makes catches after breaking off routes to bail Josh out because no one was initially open.  

As usual, season total stats don’t begin to paint the whole picture 

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I don’t know what his drop rate is today, but a week or two ago he was dropping 17% of his catchable balls on the season and was third in league in total drops, with a catch rate of 54% for his career.  

I don’t think he was getting a bum rap, his drops cost us drives in games we lost.  He also dropped a critical pass on the late drive in the Vikes game the refs missed and Josh quickly snapped the ball to cover up.  

I was very high on Gabe all off season, I’m still optimistic about him.  But I don’t think it’s a “bum rap” when you’re a professional starting WE and dropping 17% of your passes with a career history of low catch rate.  

He has also made plenty of good plays, he’s not a lost cause or a disaster.  But the concerns have been warranted.  

He also has struggled to win his routes and most often makes catches after breaking off routes to bail Josh out because no one was initially open.  

As usual, season total stats don’t begin to paint the whole picture 

Pro football reference says 10%. 

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Gabe Davis is fine, is it frustrating when he drops balls on critical moments that would win games (MiIA, NYJ? Yup.

He will get a bum rap for it, can't help it. Though I fully agree it would be difficult to get an upgrade on that position  

he had a crucial drop in the last possession in the Jax loss last year.

The "contested catch" against Pitt this year was a perfect pass by Allen that hit Davis in stride, in his left hand.  He made that catch contested, when it didn't need to be.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Gabe Davis only has 3 routes in his repertoire. And all the NFL teams know what they are.

Patrick Peterson says something tongue-in-cheek and now everybody thinks he actually runs 3 routes 

Is he a route technician? no

But he ran a hitch, A come back, out route , 9 route and post … And i didn’t watch every route he ran throughout the year but he has ran those 

That’s more than three last time I counted… What Peterson means is he runs three routes well… The rest leave a lot to be desired

Edited by Buffalo716

On 11/25/2022 at 9:57 AM, jwhit34 said:

Going into the season, a lot of the buzz about the offense was about Gabe Davis "taking the next step" and becoming a big time WR2. Now, a significant portion of fans say he is a disappointment. 

I think a fair expectation going into the season to be considered a top end WR2 would be a season with 60-70 receptions, 900-1,000 yards and 7-9 TDs. 

Davis missed 1 game due to injury, so in the 10 games he has played he now has 33 receptions, 650 yards and 5 TDs. How does that compare to expectations?

• He ranks #22 in receiving yards per game, and the only WR2s ahead of him are Waddle and Higgins.
  • Only 10 WRs have more TDs
  • At 65 yards per game, that extrapolates out to 1,105 over 17 games. If he averages 65/game the rest of the year, it would be 1,040 in 16 games.
  • He has 5 TDs in 10 games played so if he keeps up that pace he will have 8 TDs.
  • The receptions are lighter, he would end at 53 at 3.3/game

Yes, the drops are not good, but if you were asked before the beginning of the season would you take a 53-1,040-8 stat line for Davis this year? I am guessing almost everyone would, especially if you said Diggs was going to also have the year he's having. 

I have thought for a long time a lot of Bills fans overvalued Don Beebe, whose career highs with the Bills were 40 catches ('94) and 554 yards ('92). Davis is moving into undervalued territory.

Beebe was a no 3 WR. That’s what Davis should be. 

Edited by RyanC883

22 hours ago, Billz4ever said:

He will disappear for large amounts of time and when he does show himself, he's not making the catches he should be.

Besides the drops, he's just not getting open either.

He makes the big plays here and there, but I'll take the consistency of a Beasley-type receiver over the drop prone, sometimes big play guy any day.

The lack of that Beasley-type WR is what this offense is missing.

I thought Shakir was going to get a chance to be that guy, but the coaches don't want to play him much.

the coaches are nuts to not play Shakir more. 

On 11/25/2022 at 11:18 AM, FilthyBeast said:

Nobody is questioning his talent and ability, he's just wildly inconsistent which has what has plagued this offense this year in general with just about everyone outside of JA17 and Diggs.

If he can follow Knox's trajectory and truly move past the drops and inconsistency he'd be one of the more dangerous weapons in this league but until then you have to hold your breath every time the ball is thrown his way.

Knox has caught every target the last 2 games at least.  he needs to be used more but needs to block for the deficient OL 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Joe Ferguson said:

If butterfingers Gabe Davis keeps dropping balls, John Brown will be signed to the active roster. Hopefully butterfingers Gabe Davis goes to the PS.

He wouldn’t last 5 minutes on the waiver wire … he hasn’t lived up to expectations but calling him a PSr is asinine 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

route-chart_DAV329675_2022-REG-5_1665346  route-chart_DAV329675_2022-REG-1_1662694

Dont know what his other weeks look like because these are the only 2 charts next gen did for him this year but it doesnt get much more basic. Of course these are only his routes on his targets.  I have no idea what he ran when he didnt get a target.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.