Gabe Davis - Getting a Bum Rap From Some Fans

jwhit34

12 minutes ago, Andy1 said:

Last year We had more weapons for defenses to guard. Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, Davis, Knox, RB. This year, Crowder got injured and has not been replaced. So we are running with Diggs and Davis, McKenzie sometimes, Knox sometimes and RB.

Davis is getting defended by better DBs since we do not have as many viable weapons. Defenses know what we are doing. They can shade their defense towards him and Diggs. Diggs can be unguardable. Davis isn’t that type of player. That is what is impacting his performance. Plus scheme issues with Dorsey has an impact. 

I am still hoping Dorsey can incorporate Hines and Shakir in roles that fit their skill sets. Our offense needs to diversify beyond Diggs and Davis. 

I don’t know. Davis’ role in the offense hasn’t changed much. His snaps have gone way up, but scheme wise still the same. He’s on the field with Diggs and seeing similar coverages. 

Our offense IMO is better this year vs last year. Josh has made some boneheaded mistakes in the redzone. 

Last year Knox was a beast in the redzone. 

• Dislike 1

36 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

He’s playing more snaps than Diggs because of his blocking. If Diggs needs a breather every now and then, so does the guy who’s playing more snaps than him. 

Obviously Davis has room to improve, but your comment is completely wrong. Being out there as much as he is, has to be tiring and if it wasn’t, Diggs wouldn’t be coming out like he does. 

Your comment is wrong.  The reason Davis is not performing consistently is not because he’s playing too many snaps.  That’s just a horrendous take. 

Edited by RoscoeParrish
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Your comment is wrong.  The reason Davis is not performing consistently is not because he’s playing too many snaps.  That’s just a horrendous take. 

That’s not what I’m staying. What I’m saying is breathers are obviously important, because Diggs gets them, and he is our main weapon offense (besides Allen). If Diggs gets them, it’s because they want Diggs fresh so he can make plays. They wouldn’t rest Diggs for any reason other than to enhance his performance, and he is a number 1. You stated, Davis being a number 2 should be out there all the time regardless and still preform, without acknowledging that our number 1 gets breathers in order to enhance his performance. 

Like I said in my previous post, I’m not saying Davis doesn’t have room for improvement. He does. I’m just sick of posters overacting and and over exaggerating/over stating things without acknowledging the full context of the facts. There is absolutely no benefit to over exaggerate anything or to ignore other relevant info. 

Edited by Tanoros
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Could it be possible you are suffering from a delusion by attributing a couple of clutch plays he’s made as part of his character, while the truth is, he’s mediocre and not clutch? The stats would say that is more likely. 

Sure. But I rather be a delusional winner than a "realistic" loser. 

18 minutes ago, Tanoros said:

That’s not what I’m staying. What I’m saying is breathers are obviously important, because Diggs gets them, and he is our main weapon offense (besides Allen). If Diggs gets them, it’s because they want Diggs fresh so he can make plays. They wouldn’t rest Diggs for any reason other than to enhance his performance, and he is a number 1. You stated, Davis being a number 2 should be out there all the time regardless and still preform, without acknowledging that our number 1 gets breathers in order to enhance his performance. 

Like I said in my previous post, I’m not saying Davis doesn’t have room for improvement. He does. I’m just sick of posters overacting and and over exaggerating/over stating things without acknowledging the full context of the facts. There is absolutely no benefit to over exaggerate anything or to ignore other relevant info. 

No what I said and will repeat, is his snap count has nothing to do with him being inconsistent booty. 

He isn’t getting open consistently, he drops a bunch of passes, he’s only made one or two truly contested catches all year (for sure the one vs Pitt). I know of two INT that were because he didn’t run the route Allen was expecting (maybe more).

He had one big game that is skewing the stats, and has otherwise been playing at replacement level. We need better consistency there.

In his defense, he seems bothered by the ankle still.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

He isn’t getting open consistently, he drops a bunch of passes, he’s only made one or two truly contested catches all year (for sure the one vs Pitt). I know of two INT that were because he didn’t run the route Allen was expecting (maybe more).

He had one big game that is skewing the stats, and has otherwise been playing at replacement level. We need better consistency there.

In his defense, he seems bothered by the ankle still.

He is favoring his ankle big time.  It's very pronounced when he is running.  

2 hours ago, Southern_Bills said:

Gabe Davis is fine, is it frustrating when he drops balls on critical moments that would win games (MiIA, NYJ? Yup.

He will get a bum rap for it, can't help it. Though I fully agree it would be difficult to get an upgrade on that position  

He’s not fine. He drops balls and can’t catch contested balls because he has horrible technique with his hands. He gets one hand under the ball and then comes down with the other hand on top. It’s such a weird way of catching the football.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s not fine. He drops balls and can’t catch contested balls because he has horrible technique with his hands. He gets one hand under the ball and then comes down with the other hand on top. It’s such a weird way of catching the football.

I hear you, I mean the shot of him with eyes closed and the ball going through his hands vs the Jets is brutal. Call it PI or whatever but he should have caught it.

My point was if he was any better he would want #1 money. For a #2 WR he's hard to beat, I do believe game winners balls should be going ro Diggs regardless or coverage though.

He will disappear for large amounts of time and when he does show himself, he's not making the catches he should be.

Besides the drops, he's just not getting open either.

He makes the big plays here and there, but I'll take the consistency of a Beasley-type receiver over the drop prone, sometimes big play guy any day.

The lack of that Beasley-type WR is what this offense is missing.

I thought Shakir was going to get a chance to be that guy, but the coaches don't want to play him much.

Edited by Billz4ever

6 hours ago, RoscoeParrish said:

Gabe Davis simply isn't a great route runner at times and has allot of mental mistakes....he also has went through a case of the drops and some big drops at that

7 hours ago, ToGoGo said:

I think they can't avoid it if they wanted to. Social media, family, friends, their girlfriends showing them comments they see on IG, reporters trying to create stories, fans screaming onto the field, drunk guys making snarky remarks on nights out, etc. etc. 

It's not so much the content of the words, but the negative energy of it. It's one thing to ignore your neighbor when he calls you an "a-hole" for parking in the wrong spot, it's another to ignore 350,000 people that think you should get your livelihood (which you worked so hard for) taken away from you because you dropped a few balls or missed a few tackles. ESPECIALLY if it wasn't really your fault. Football is a complicated game, and I'd argue most fans don't understand it. I tune out myself sometimes listening to Eric on Cover1, so I know most other fans would too.

How many fans would've flamed Allen today for that missed Cook throw if Romo didn't point out it was Cook's fault? Players are not allowed to throw players under the bus in front of the media, so they cannot defend themselves. Regardless, fans don't react well to player's being honest about things like that. Look how Feliciano was treated after pointing some blame after 13 seconds. Maybe he was right, I don't know, or maybe he was wrong. But he would be in a better position to know than me, or 99% of fans. 

As for other Bills players. I think Star sat out 2020 partially due to the hate he received from fans in 2019. He was never the same. I think it weighs heavier on Edmunds than most people realize. I think it really hurt Allen his first few years, but he is one of those rare people that are anti-fragile, meaning adversity makes them better. To expect that from 53 players on the same team is asinine. 

Basically, when a fanbase turns on a player and makes them a whipping boy, the fanbase is playing Russian roulette. We're putting a player in an extreme position and then discarding them the second he has trouble handling it. We are literally sacrificing good players that might just be going through something temporary, and turning it into something permanent. And we're doing it to our own. Very Roman gladitorial-like. But most importantly, self-defeating and toxic. Workplace environments like that have high turnover. 

I repeat my question:  is your concern about the negative effect of fan criticism unique to Davis, or does it extend to other players who have become fan "whipping boys" after a few notable gaffs?  Isaiah McKenzie is the current favorite "whipping boy" on this board, for example.

Myself, I tend to think players have to be way way tougher than that.   If they can't "tune out the noise" of fans and ask their friends and family to muzzle it and "leave them out" of the social media loop during the season, I don't think they can succeed in professional sports.   I mean, how likely is it anyway that 350,000 different people all think they suck and should get cut or benched for a dropped ball or a route running mistake?  Most don't care.  Most who do care would be all love "Oh, I'm your biggest fan!" in person and it can't take long for the players to realize that.  

Social media in no way represents a reasonable cross section of representative fan opinion.    It's more like maybe a couple hundred (at most) loudmouths hiding behind anonymity to talk crap especially when they're drunk, a couple thousand who are like "you made a mistake, Be Better" which the player and coach would say to themselves, and a bunch more who can barely remember the details of what happened or don't care.

Same goes for this board.   One can't even assume that unique usernames necessarily represent different unique individuals each stating their individual honestly held opinion.  And social media is an even wilder and less moderated scene.

Regarding "13 seconds" FWIW, Lorenzo Alexander said "the players for sure know, the players will sort it out".  It seems somewhat notable who moved on or was not brought back, even at modest and affordable (to the Bills) rates.

Anyway, I don't care at all for the "whipping boy" phenomenon - I think it usually makes the person "flogging it" look like they either don't have a very balanced and knowledgeable perspective, or have an agenda of trolling for attention - but I don't think fans should second guess themselves for expressing honest critique of things that factually happened for fear of "Russian Roulette" with a players psyche. 

And football is definitely a "what have you done for me lately?" "one game at a time" game.  Playing damned near perfect football during 2 playoff games does not excuse Josh Allen (for example) from throwing stupid interceptions in the 4Q of 2022 games.  Gabe Davis making great clutch receptions for >170 yds in the Steelers game does not excuse dropped balls that end drives or (perhaps) the badly run route or 3 in other games.

In my opinion of course.

Edited by Beck Water

10 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Going into the season, a lot of the buzz about the offense was about Gabe Davis "taking the next step" and becoming a big time WR2. Now, a significant portion of fans say he is a disappointment. 

I think a fair expectation going into the season to be considered a top end WR2 would be a season with 60-70 receptions, 900-1,000 yards and 7-9 TDs. 

Davis missed 1 game due to injury, so in the 10 games he has played he now has 33 receptions, 650 yards and 5 TDs. How does that compare to expectations?

• He ranks #22 in receiving yards per game, and the only WR2s ahead of him are Waddle and Higgins.
  • Only 10 WRs have more TDs
  • At 65 yards per game, that extrapolates out to 1,105 over 17 games. If he averages 65/game the rest of the year, it would be 1,040 in 16 games.
  • He has 5 TDs in 10 games played so if he keeps up that pace he will have 8 TDs.
  • The receptions are lighter, he would end at 53 at 3.3/game

Yes, the drops are not good, but if you were asked before the beginning of the season would you take a 53-1,040-8 stat line for Davis this year? I am guessing almost everyone would, especially if you said Diggs was going to also have the year he's having. 

I have thought for a long time a lot of Bills fans overvalued Don Beebe, whose career highs with the Bills were 40 catches ('94) and 554 yards ('92). Davis is moving into undervalued territory.

I love Davis.  Want him to be the man but there is no denying it hasn’t happened this year.  Maybe he needs 1 more year - Mike Williams did.  

What are Davis stats and ranks if you take away the Pittsburgh game?  My guess it’s very hideous looking.  

47 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

I love Davis.  Want him to be the man but there is no denying it hasn’t happened this year.  Maybe he needs 1 more year - Mike Williams did.  

What are Davis stats and ranks if you take away the Pittsburgh game?  My guess it’s very hideous looking.  

He's actually been good over the last 3 games. They would project to 85 catches, 1,150 yards, 6 TD's and a 68% catch percentage for a whole season. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.