JT O'Sullivan QB School: What's Wrong with Josh Allen?

Big Turk

Great video with lots of clips, mostly from the Viking game.

Basically the long and short of it seems to be that receivers many times are not getting open unless Allen scrambles to create a backyard type play out of structure, or someone on the OLine is getting beat not giving him time.

About 25 minutes but a good watch with lots of video clips.

https://youtu.be/WrvY4h4vjOU

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Very thorough analysis.  Obviously a lot of idealized 20/20 hindsight criticism but valid.

Too bad we wasted a lot of incredible catches and still lost that game, like that incredible Diggs leaping catch to get a first on third and long.  If Diggs doesn't grab that I think it is an interception.

Morse certainly got pushed back a lot in the first half, especially by 55.  And G Davis appears to have made a few mistakes.

Have not watched it yet but will (and will enjoy it no doubt).

I would never argue with someone saying this or that about receivers down field, b/c you CANNOT SEE that stuff when watching live football on TV.  So that is interesting if he is pinning it on an inability to get open.

However, at first blush, that strikes me as nowhere nearly thorough enough, because Josh is struggling with a wide variety of things ATM, only 1 or 2 of which might be explained by what his receivers are doing or not doing. There's more to it than that.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Have not watched it yet but will (and will enjoy it no doubt).

I would never argue with someone saying this or that about receivers down field, b/c you CANNOT SEE that stuff when watching live football on TV.  So that is interesting if he is pinning it on an inability to get open.

However, at first blush, that strikes me as nowhere nearly thorough enough, because Josh is struggling with a wide variety of things ATM, only 1 or 2 of which might be explained by what his receivers are doing or not doing. There's more to it than that.

He also said some of it is Allen not taking what's there early that's open to wait for something deeper but a lot of times those aren't there.

Great video, thanks. JT has a lot of good insight and doesn't think Josh was massively out of sorts; Josh just needs some fine tuning.

A couple notes: JT actually liked the game-losing call (as did I) and thought the execution was bad; the ball needed to be higher and deeper.

My own thoughts: on third and short, why do we see so many intermediate routes? Why not have short drags across the middle or slants? It seems like we're making the seemingly easy conversions harder than they need to be. 

Watch the video. Videos like this and Marino's are to be far better than the printed journalism from the Buffalo area which is really only good for giving quotes and no insight from the writer.

Not sure I am seeing any surprises that have led to this offense being out of sync, but appreciated the breakdowns.

Josh being too greedy, holding the ball, and too often playing out of the structure and timing of the play called.

Receivers running the wrong routes, OL giving up a lot of pressures. I like Morse most of the time, but the book on him is that he can be knocked off his base and bull rushed when up against better DTs. It was not a very good day for our OL and forced Allen to play too often off schedule.

Some play designs that are head-scratchers... where they need 2 yards and the Vikes are playing off our receivers and I see fly routes from all our receivers. Especially one where I noticed our TE 88 running 30 yards down the field where a 5-10 yard deep route easily nets what we need. Those long-developing routes make our suspect OL even more suspect and Allen more likely to have to do something off schedule.

Some amazing throws and some poor throws from JA17, but this team needs more consistency from him this year and he needs to try better to trust and deliver throws on schedule when they are there and he has 1:1 matchups he likes. Also, he has reverted to old habits of passing on better open options that are underneath the defensive shells teams play which puts the offense in difficult 3rd and long situations.

Dorsey has not done him many favors in regards to designing more plays for our RBs and TEs. It is never a bad idea when your OL is struggling and your QB is pressing to lean more on those plays to settle things down, slow down the rush running the ball, and throwing more quick passes to your TEs. 

I thought Allen played a good mental game against Detroit. Not a wow throw after throw game or a game where he was really precise, but a game where he mostly avoided the negative plays and turnovers. He threw some passes away when there was nothing there, and I really liked his little shovel pass to Cook when he was scrambling around trying to escape a messy pocket with defenders closing in. It did not net a lot of yards, but it was a growth moment for Allen to see and use an outlet option. Maybe on one of those Cook makes a guy miss and turns it into a big gainer.

We need to see Josh continue to evolve that part of his game - there is no shame if he does not truck every LB in the league himself on scrambles. The best ability is availability and we need him to remember that those guys around him want to help him carry the load.

Edited by WideNine

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.