Is the 17-game schedule diminishing NFL play

SBbeliever

11 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't know but it seems like injuries are on the rise throughout the NFL.  Teams literally need 2 bye weeks to have any chance to get injured players back.

I'm a big advocate of two bye weeks (and 3 when they add the inevitable 18th game). Gives the NFL the opportunity to spread games out more as well. 

2 minutes ago, First Round Bust said:

add a second bye week for all teams and subtract a few days from the off-season mandatory stuff, they usually release the players early anyways....this would support rest and recuperating and scheduling of the Thurs nite games which is a challenge under normal Sunday scheduling...

Bills doing Thurs and Thurs games this week and next which is supports good prima timeratings, cap increase, nite game excitement, etc... 

and the grand prize could be the Super Bowl would be pushed-back as week into mid-Feb which would be played on a three-day-holiday weekend as it really has become a national holiday...

The SB is being played on 2/12/23 this season.  Isn't that already mid-February?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

The SB is being played on 2/12/23 this season.  Isn't that already mid-February?

is midway island truly half-way between Asia and North America as depicted in the movie of the same name ?  asking for a WW2 vet.

Since Feb has 28 days 80% of the time technically Feb 13 is less than half-way or midway to Feb 28, not to mentiion leap years which skew this in my favor.

I eagerly await your rebuttal on this portal of higher learning, meanwhile I will tune to Fox News and Truth Socal in pursuit of truth, justice and the American way...

1 minute ago, ColoradoBills said:

I do not like the 17-game schedule and the 1 team conference bye, and I will not change my mind on it.

We are headed for an 18-game season with 8 playoff teams, and I will not like that even more.

They are never going backwards, but do you want to go back to the 16 game season, 6 teams in each conference make the playoffs, and the top two get first round byes?

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

They are never going backwards, but do you want to go back to the 16 game season, 6 teams in each conference make the playoffs, and the top two get first round byes?

Yes.  It's goofy now with the 17 games and will be worse when 18 comes.

They already had 3 games were previous teams standing determine who they play the following year and the 17th game

added another.  When game 18 comes and all the top teams (and bottom teams) are playing each other 5 more times a year it skews the standings

too much for me.  

I know it won't go back to the way it was, but it doesn't mean I have to like the changes.

13 hours ago, SBbeliever said:

The games are becoming oh so boring in the middle of the season.  Key players on all teams are injured.  It seems like good teams just want to survive the 8-12 game scenario.  Is this what the NFL wanted?

If it went from 16 to 20 games I think you'd be on to something but adding one more game is nothing in the terms of the grand scheme of things especially for both good and bad teams alike that can sit guys and play backups in the final weeks once they know their fate is sealed.

12 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I’ve found the quality of games to be poor all season.  Since the new CBA reduced practice time, and coaches not playing starters much in preseason,  it was poor to start the season for a couple weeks but wouldn’t make sense this late in the season.  

I agree that the average NFL game has been boring.

When you look at the entire body of work, NFL games in general this season., they are BORING!  Go back to the 14 game format and make each game mean something.

18 hours ago, SBbeliever said:

The games are becoming oh so boring in the middle of the season.  Key players on all teams are injured.  It seems like good teams just want to survive the 8-12 game scenario.  Is this what the NFL wanted?

Were the Bills last 3 games boring? 

What are you going  in about with this?  

12 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Unless they move the start of the season into late August, an 18 week season and 2 bye weeks, would push the SB to late February. 

I don't think the NFL would have a problem with that. Despite all those who have claimed, or vowed to stop watching the NFL, it still dominates tv ratings, like nothing else. Even as many cutting the cable chord, there will be more outlets vying to broadcast NFL games. More games, more money.

Personally, I think the NFL is pretty high-level sports entertainment. To me, if it is boring, it is because every other game now has an unbelievable ending...we may be getting numb to it. 

As a 50+ year Bills fan, I used to be able to chronicle, in my brain, all the 300 yard passing games by Bills QB's...Feguson passing for 400 yards against rookie Dan Marion, in 1984 was something I remember almost like it was yesterday... but now, there are 3 games on any given Sunday that surpass that. 

Last weeks win over the Browns was as "old-school" a win as the Bills have had in the last few years.  While there were (predictably) a certain part of the fan base bemoaning the poor offensive efficiency of the team, there were others who were excited about the "winning ugly" persona of that game, and yesterday's victory over the Lions. Not sure which is better.. but i am always amazed by the appetite people have for this league.

Edited by Buftex

5 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

I do not like the 17-game schedule and the 1 team conference bye, and I will not change my mind on it.

We are headed for an 18-game season with 8 playoff teams, and I will not like that even more.

very true.  Too many 'average' teams in the play-oofs just because they made it through the regular season grind.

10 hours ago, ProcessTruster said:

yeah I largely just watch the commercial free replays on NFL+.   much better use of time.   you really get a feel for how the game went as well.   Live football on TV is painful to sit through

I agree - - painful is a good word rather than boring!

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.