Is the 17-game schedule diminishing NFL play

SBbeliever

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Unless they move the start of the season into late August, an 18 week season and 2 bye weeks, would push the SB to late February. 

No reason they couldn’t .. College Football starts a week before the NFL.  

For much of the league, southern teams/domes, adding a week to the back end would be fine.. but yea.. probably not ideal for BUF, NY, CHI, GB, CLE etc. 

2 hours ago, The 9 Isles said:

Each team should have 2 bye weeks. Longer seasons (marginally) would benefit players with an additional week to heal up in second half. 

I propose they introduce The Vontae Davis Rule where one week per season teams only have to play one half

Edited by RobbRiddick

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

No. 

I do think 2 preseason games, 18 regular season games and 2 bye weeks is where this is going though.  I’d be for it.  

NFL product is as good as ever, but it does seem injuries are on the rise for most teams… unless we’re just paying more attention with fantasy/popularity of the league etc. 

18 regular season games? How about 16 over 18 weeks

Just now, TH3 said:

18 regular season games? How about 16 over 18 weeks

Zero chance the NFL goes back to 16. 

The end game was always two preseason games and eighteen regular season games. 

This is just the process in getting there. 

Just now, SCBills said:

Zero chance the NFL goes back to 16. 

The end game was always two preseason games and eighteen regular season games. 

This is just the process in getting there. 

That was the thought…until everyone can see 17 is already too much….18 with two byes and 2 preseasons? …what a March Super Bowl ?

3 minutes ago, TH3 said:

That was the thought…until everyone can see 17 is already too much….18 with two byes and 2 preseasons? …what a March Super Bowl ?

Who is everybody?  NFL can simply go with something like grass mandated at all fields in a new deal with owners that incudes 18 games and two bye weeks with a reduced preseason.  

It’s literally one extra week. 

Edited by SCBills

The number of games doesn’t equate to anything except cash distribution, (see you at the next contract negotiation). Neither does the kind of turf, quite frankly.

Now, with modern training techniques, new bodybuilding supplements, year-round weight training, etc., the professional athlete is exponentially faster, stronger, has more stamina and is much more in-tune with his/her body. This extra speed and strength equate to more types of injuries with more frequency. Since the players are way more concerned with their health and associated earnings potential, the lull during the season should be expected. Slow and steady wins the race.

Speaking of races, it reminds me of when I was working during the 80s and 90s in NASCAR. The season got longer as more tracks were added and everybody’s event needed to be 500 laps. In short order, the races became snoozefests as the drivers raced for position in the first 20 laps or so, rode around for 470 laps and raced like their hair was on fire for the last 10 laps. Today, there’s an awful lot of empty seats at NASCAR events.

Likewise, if players “coast” through the middle of the season, nursing slight ailments and simply positioning for the playoffs, there will be plenty of empty seats at the games and the broadcasts will end up on TSN, FSN or ESPN2 just like the NASCAR races.

1 minute ago, clayboy54 said:

The number of games doesn’t equate to anything except cash distribution, (see you at the next contract negotiation). Neither does the kind of turf, quite frankly.

Now, with modern training techniques, new bodybuilding supplements, year-round weight training, etc., the professional athlete is exponentially faster, stronger, has more stamina and is much more in-tune with his/her body. This extra speed and strength equate to more types of injuries with more frequency. Since the players are way more concerned with their health and associated earnings potential, the lull during the season should be expected. Slow and steady wins the race.

Speaking of races, it reminds me of when I was working during the 80s and 90s in NASCAR. The season got longer as more tracks were added and everybody’s event needed to be 500 laps. In short order, the races became snoozefests as the drivers raced for position in the first 20 laps or so, rode around for 470 laps and raced like their hair was on fire for the last 10 laps. Today, there’s an awful lot of empty seats at NASCAR events.

Likewise, if players “coast” through the middle of the season, nursing slight ailments and simply positioning for the playoffs, there will be plenty of empty seats at the games and the broadcasts will end up on TSN, FSN or ESPN2 just like the NASCAR races.

Remember when people thought TNF would falter due to market saturation?

People will literally pay for Amazon Prime to watch Cleveland vs Jacksonville in Week 9.  

The revenue generated by adding an extra regular season week, at expense of a preseason week, would far outweigh any worry of a watered down product.. that likely doesn’t come to fruition as the NFL simply keeps growing in popularity. 

20+ game regular season with added playoff spots .. sure, I could get behind some worry.  

Dropping from a 3 week preseason to a 2 week preseason, in order to go to an 18 game regular season, instead of 17 games is not a worry I’d have if I’m an owner.  

The NFL calendar remains the same, unless they add a second bye week.. in which case you either start in late August or push back the Super Bowl a week. 

Just now, SCBills said:

Remember when people thought TNF would falter due to market saturation?

People will literally pay for Amazon Prime to watch Cleveland vs Jacksonville in Week 9.  

The revenue generated by adding an extra regular season week, at expense of a preseason week, would far outweigh any worry of a watered down product.. that likely doesn’t come to fruition as the NFL simply keeps growing in popularity. 

20+ game regular season with added playoff spots .. sure, I could get behind some worry.  

Dropping from a 3 week preseason to a 2 week preseason, in order to go to an 18 game regular season, instead of 17 games is not a worry I’d have if I’m an owner.  

The NFL calendar remains the same, unless they add a second bye week.. in which case you either start in late August or push back the Super Bowl a week. 

I totally agree with you on your point alone, but if the players begin getting complacent during the midseason lull, I believe fans will tune out until the playoffs.

No. 

Honestly it’s the CBA. There isn’t enough practice and guys aren’t in the facility enough. I’d be willing to further cut padded/contact practices in half to get these guys back in house May 1 full time. That allows for more player development,  better timing between QB/WR, better coverage skills from DB’s, etc. Plus the added benefit of consistent and unified strength, condition, body maintenance, and injury prevention. 

I am on the players side for most things between the league. But the lack of practice is hurting.

2 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Well in fairness even the announcers were exasperated with the number of injury timeouts. Dallas Giants game was awful to watch between the injuries and penalties. 

yeah I largely just watch the commercial free replays on NFL+.   much better use of time.   you really get a feel for how the game went as well.   Live football on TV is painful to sit through

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Who is everybody?  NFL can simply go with something like grass mandated at all fields in a new deal with owners that incudes 18 games and two bye weeks with a reduced preseason.  

It’s literally one extra week. 

...and how is that going to work in the fixed roof stadiums?

add a second bye week for all teams and subtract a few days from the off-season mandatory stuff, they usually release the players early anyways....this would support rest and recuperating and scheduling of the Thurs nite games which is a challenge under normal Sunday scheduling...

Bills doing Thurs and Thurs games this week and next which is supports good prima timeratings, cap increase, nite game excitement, etc... 

and the grand prize could be the Super Bowl would be pushed-back as week into mid-Feb which would be played on a three-day-holiday weekend as it really has become a national holiday...

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.