Is the 17-game schedule diminishing NFL play

SBbeliever

NFL seems to be going the way of NBA/MLB, sitting out players more frequently to preserve them for the end season/playoff type run.

It does appear mid season lulls are more prominent in the NFL, but, with the bye weeks, naturally, the mid season action is lessened.

Edited by I am the egg man

Not sure how you can equate current injury rates around the league with the addition of a single game to the end of the season.

Injuries come and go randomly.  

It's a violent sport and football teams excessively preach weight training instead of flexibility training. 

These guys are all too tight and they pop too easily.

But is that all because of 17 games and not 16?  Nah.

4 hours ago, SBbeliever said:

The games are becoming oh so boring in the middle of the season.  Key players on all teams are injured.  It seems like good teams just want to survive the 8-12 game scenario.  Is this what the NFL wanted?

the 3 games yesterday were all 1 score, relatively high scoring games…I guess I’m confused as to what you’re considering boring. It certainly isn’t because the games are blowouts.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Wait, so games are becoming more boring in the middle of the season because of one extra week added onto the end of the season? How does that make any sense? If games were just as "boring" as you put it, which they aren't, I don't see any difference, how would they be less boring in the middle of the season with one less game to end the season? 

Edited by Buffalo03
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SBbeliever said:

The games are becoming oh so boring in the middle of the season.  Key players on all teams are injured.  It seems like good teams just want to survive the 8-12 game scenario.  Is this what the NFL wanted?

Well, I've watch the last four Bills game and not sure I could call any of them boring for the fans of these teams.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, CSBill said:

Well, I've watch the last four Bills game and not sure I could call any of them boring for the fans of these teams.

Right? This seems like one of those “let’s say something just to say something” threads. Would’ve helped if the OP would have given some examples of this “boring” play.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPoy88 said:

the 3 games yesterday were all 1 score, relatively high scoring games…I guess I’m confused as to what you’re considering boring. It certainly isn’t because the games are blowouts.

Well in fairness even the announcers were exasperated with the number of injury timeouts. Dallas Giants game was awful to watch between the injuries and penalties. 

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Well in fairness even the announcers were exasperated with the number of injury timeouts. Dallas Giants game was awful to watch between the injuries and penalties. 

fair enough - not sure how a spate of injuries and bad officiating in week 12 has anything to do with adding a 17th game though.

6 hours ago, SBbeliever said:

I’ve found the quality of games to be poor all season.  Since the new CBA reduced practice time, and coaches not playing starters much in preseason,  it was poor to start the season for a couple weeks but wouldn’t make sense this late in the season.  

I agree that the average NFL game has been boring.

No. 

I do think 2 preseason games, 18 regular season games and 2 bye weeks is where this is going though.  I’d be for it.  

NFL product is as good as ever, but it does seem injuries are on the rise for most teams… unless we’re just paying more attention with fantasy/popularity of the league etc. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

No. 

I do think 2 preseason games, 18 regular season games and 2 bye weeks is where this is going though.  I’d be for it.  

NFL product is as good as ever, but it does seem injuries are on the rise for most teams… unless we’re just paying more attention with fantasy/popularity of the league etc. 

Unless they move the start of the season into late August, an 18 week season and 2 bye weeks, would push the SB to late February. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.