Joe Marino gives the PERFECT explanation of what’s going on with the Bills but most importantly WHY!

StHustle

7 hours ago, Airseven said:

Nothing explains the Vikings gaffe, for example.

Really?  The first game after Josh’s elbow injury, when many pontificated he wouldn’t even play, means “nothing?”  You don’t think perhaps a few of those throws were off due to the injury and lack of practice time?

• Like (+1) 1

Romo yesterday kept hammering home that almost all of Allen's passes were low and away, which is not like him at all.  Made me feel better knowing that it's probably the elbow causing his issues as of late.  For all the injuries this team has dealt with all damn season they are still very much in contention for the #1 seed.  Yes it's a grind and yes it's going to be hard but it's all still possible.  Prayers up for #40 🙏

Sorry maybe there is some truth to this but I don't buy the speculation explanation. Joe is a good listen at times, but he's a fan same as you and me.

But maybe it's just me. I'm just tired of hearing how practice matters, and then a titans team who had no practice in the covvid season curb stomped us.

At some point, explanations and excuses don't win super bowls.

I'm just seeing a lot of struggles that don't look just practice related. The most concerning thing to me right now is the predictability of the offense.

(Outside of Dane Jackson and injuries)

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

Joe Marino posts a ton of content but his postgame pod for the Bills Lions Thanksgiving game deserves it’s own thread.

So many members of the Mafia are upset, confused, and discouraged right now. The way he breaks down exactly what’s going on is masterful and he hits the nail on the head on point after point. 

One of his firsts points is simply the fact that Josh has had only a few practices for these last 3 games starting with just one limited practice before the Vikings game. How the lack of practice sessions have stunted the ability to get Hines installed in the offense properly. How, despite how none of us are in love with the way the Bills offense or Josh is playing right now, we still rank #2 in the league in average points and yards per game over these last 3 ugly games.

He touches on so much more including a lot dealing with the defense and most key players individually. I love his perspective and feel most Bills fans would appreciate this content.

I don't like his podcast. WAY too many ad reads. Much prefer disguised coverage, the fi room and the air raid hour 

9 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

Sorry maybe there is some truth to this but I don't buy the speculation explanation. Joe is a good listen at times, but he's a fan same as you and me.

But maybe it's just me. I'm just tired of hearing how practice matters, and then a titans team who had no practice in the covvid season curb stomped us.

I'm just seeing a lot of struggles that don't look just practice related. The most concerning thing to me right now is the predictability of the offense.

So the point you are trying to make is based off of a game played 2 years ago?

Offense will be fine.  My concern is defense.  Without Edmunds the defense is very average.  Lawson and Bashem starting at DE is troublesome.  Dane Jackson is getting exploited like Levi Wallace used to.  Problem with that he isnt playing across White its mainly rookies on the other side. 

12 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

No way you watched that whole pod and came away with this take. And no Joe isn’t just an average fan. He is an insider who is neck deep in football for a living. If you heard the pod you’d know this. Jordan Palmer doesn’t have conversations with average fans. He has a ton of interviews with coaches and players. The man knows what he’s talking about….you on the other hand…

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Josh and the offense has been struggling since before no practices and his injury. 

Ok so you expected them to right the ship with an injury and limited practice time? And “struggling” has equated to a top NFL offense over this last stretch with the injury and lack of practices. So the whole point is….what does that tell you???

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

In the end it’s all excuses.  31 other NFL teams don’t care about our injuries or lack of practice 

Please. Excuses for what? Unlike those other teams, we’re  8-3. Currently in first place in our division and as of this morning, only KC has a better record in the AFC (by a half a game) and we beat them. No excuses here. Just reasons why our play has “slipped “. 
Some people here really need to STFU with that crap. 

6 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Ok so you expected them to right the ship with an injury and limited practice time? And “struggling” has equated to a top NFL offense over this last stretch with the injury and lack of practices. So the whole point is….what does that tell you???

Tells me some of the same posters are dumb behinds. It’s the same crew. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

No way you watched that whole pod and came away with this take. And no Joe isn’t just an average fan. He is an insider who is neck deep in football for a living. If you heard the pod you’d know this. Jordan Palmer doesn’t have conversations with average fans. He has a ton of interviews with coaches and players. The man knows what he’s talking about….you on the other hand…

I have listened to every one of his podcasts for a while. 

Ok well you can worship Joe Marino all you want.

That doesn't change the fact it's pure speculation.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

So in order for Hines to run the ball Josh has to practice?

I see things different such as getting away from the running game. Lack of or no ability to have play action. How about a trick play? Um, run Cook on something other than a toss. Double move, pump fake? Not wait until 4th Qtr to get Knox in the game…. I see a lack of creativity. I see WRs consistently running 15 yds down the field, even on 3rd and short.

Get Josh under center a few more times a game just to help set up play action and have a different look other than shotgun.

They call the QB sweep almost once a game, how about QB sweep action then stop and throw over the top, teams come flying up when they see that…

Practice days, injuries etc I get it… sure it makes thing’s tougher. But I just don’t see this offense being to difficult for teams the game plan against. 

Belichick will be tough next week. Definitely a game we can lose.

Hines has never been much of a RB, he’s a pass catcher with the labor RB.  Honestly, it would be more interesting to have him work out of the slot and occasionally motion into the backfield to cause problems.  I do think they’ve done a horrible job using him, but expecting him to be much of a factor in the run game is misguided.

9 hours ago, StHustle said:

One of his firsts points is simply the fact that Josh has had only a few practices for these last 3 games starting with just one limited practice before the Vikings game. How the lack of practice sessions have stunted the ability to get Hines installed in the offense properly. How, despite how none of us are in love with the way the Bills offense or Josh is playing right now, we still rank #2 in the league in average points and yards per game over these last 3 ugly games.

There may be a component of that but even before the injury, the basic plays were still the basic plays and weren't being built on like the Kelly-era Bills used to do. Starting with a basic play, and run it with success, but then have some variations from the same grouping and formation, like a motion counter-trey handoff, that later in the game they would play-action out of, and later still run the end-around to Reed from the motion.

Even in the Minny and Jets game - and this may lead into why Josh is hurt in the first place - the defense knows exactly what's coming based on the personnel and formation, and there's no variation. Teams have been catching up week over week, these red-zone woes have been happening long before the elbow. Patrick Peterson alluded to it, and we saw it again yesterday with the RPO fire slant. It worked early in the season, then the corner started pasting the receiver, then the lineman starting the quick arms-up on that motion for deflections, and finally yesterday it was a turnover.

It doesn't matter how good your players are if the defense knows the upcoming play, usually.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, GolfandBills said:

In the end it’s all excuses.  31 other NFL teams don’t care about our injuries or lack of practice 

I bet you have a ton of excuses for what you’re so miserable. Why don’t you set a few aside for the 32 NFL teams.

Just to follow on, what the OC's job is, is to design plays to make the defense hesitate with eye candy, or iso a defender to put in conflict and let that dictate where the play goes. It seems like the keys to Dorsey's kingdom (don't get me started on Frazier) are out. Defenders know from film what their key is and what to do. Receivers aren't getting open, screens are obvious and get blown up. That's scheme.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Does he have an explanation for why our D is suddenly missing SO MANY tackles?  It's ridiculous really.  

Perhaps missing 4-5 pro bowl caliber players has something to do with that? Regardless of that this message board thinks, it's unreasonable to expect us to have an entire starting lineup PLUS a backup at every position that can play at a pro bowl level every game

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Airseven said:

True, because an explanation accepts a little bit of responsibility.

But it’s not an explanation either. Nothing explains the Vikings gaffe, for example. 

It’s all just meaningless context.

Nothing except injuries.  No Poyer, No Hyde, No tre, No elam.  Cam Lewis played and lost the game for us almost singlehandedly.  If he had some football IQ no one would be talking about Jefferson’s catch.  It would’ve been incomplete.  Watch Cam on Dalvins 80 yard TD run.  

Lewis is our 10th DB and would never play if it wasn’t for some unreal bad luck to injuries in the secondary.  

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.