McDermott Locker Room Speech.

stevestojan

6 hours ago, Sargent Hulka said:

You presume much; "...waiting for this kind of team since the Super Bowl Years!" I, and others like me, and so many who shuffled off of this mortal coil, have been and were, respectively, waiting for a Champion since January 1, 1967. The "Super Bowl years teams" were exactly like this team (to date): they didn't win the big one, despite the ballyhoo and bravado of " where would you rather be than right here, right now".

So you are seeking perfection... got it.

News flash... no head coach is perfect. You dog on McDermott as if he isn't the answer and so then I must ask you... WHO IS the answer for this team as a head coach? You offer criticism but I have yet to read one solution for the issue you have.

Your take on the "Super Bowl years" is also abysmal... "ballyhoo" and "bravado"? They went to FOUR STRAIGHT SUPER BOWLS, something that has never been done nor will probably ever be done again. They won four straight AFC championships. There are a lot of other teams out there like the Lions, Browns, Jets and Chargers who haven't won a championship in 50 years or more, but yet what the 1990-1993 Bills teams did is to be derided?

I don't care how old you are... you may be 10 years older than me give or take a couple of years. but your attitude is poor and I honestly think you must be Jerry Sullivan.

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Maybe I should re-phrase.  His early round drafting is mediocre outside of Allen.  Late rounds he’s done fairly well.

The lack of attention to the offense is offensive. 

100% agree with lack of offensive investment.  

The Bernard pick is honestly so frustrating.   We’re going to re-sign Edmunds, and Bernard isn’t even a replacement if we didn’t.   Seriously … backup/rotational LB with that pick?  Maddening.  

• Agree 4

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

100% agree with lack of offensive investment.  

The Bernard pick is honestly so frustrating.   We’re going to re-sign Edmunds, and Bernard isn’t even a replacement if we didn’t.   Seriously … backup/rotational LB with that pick?  Maddening.  

Yeah, Cook pick wasn’t much better when Beane immediately came out and said he’s not a full time player.. so you knowingly and willingly drafted a 3rd down back with your second round pick because you missed out on McKissic, a 3M a year player.  Now they traded another back and a pick to acquire a better version of McKissic, after drafting Cook.. Great use of draft capital.  I don’t even want to start on Bernard.  Honestly, Elam better work out, because you PLANNED to get not a single real starter the whole draft after the first round. 

Edited by DCofNC
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, CEN-CAL17 said:

Just cause one says McDs post locker room speeches all seem the same doesn’t mean anything but his speeches seem the same.

Ive been a fan for nearly 35 years. Josh Allen is my favorite Bills player ever. Mainly cause we were born and raised in the area. Lol to ask people to have zero opinion and kneel for our savior sounds a little crazy. I’m just simply pointing out McDs post game speeches don’t fire me up obviously as much as everyone else and simply stated they all feel the same.

That has nothing to do with being spoiled. And we should have beat the Jets and Jacksonville…. KC fans would feel the same way if they lost to those 2 teams. But Andy Reid and Mahomes would be hard pressed to lose games like that. Why is that? Just curious what you think why that is….. be careful what you say or your response cause you may be called spoiled and told to stfu.

Stay humble and hungry ok!

You can have your opinion, I just disagree with you.  What exactly do you mean when you say Andy Reid and Mahomes would be hard pressed to lose games like that?   We should win every road game?  KC lost to Indy on the road in week 3 this year, doesn't that count as one? 

My point in calling McDermott our savior is because that's exactly what he is for this franchise.  This whole Bills turnaround has happened because he was hired.  He then brought along Beane & cleaned house in the scouting department.  Defensively, they improved immediately under his influence, and the dynamic duo then did their due diligence & secured our QB position for the foreseeable future with #17, who is what every NFL team hopes to one day find.  It wasn't luck, they trusted their process.  You seem to find phrases like that & "stay humble & hungry" corny and/or trite, and that's ok.

But McDermott is the one who actually changed the culture here.  And that is so easy to talk about, but so difficult to do.  Every coach everywhere talks about changing the culture when they are hired.  Few actually do.  From Gregg 'airhorn' Williams to Dick Jauron to Doug Marrone to Sexy Rexy... all of them tried to do it, none of them succeeded.  McDermott did it, hackneyed phrases and all.

In those post-game speeches, it's also very easy to see that players love to play for him/would run through a wall for him.  McDermott is a true servant leader, he does whatever is necessary to help each and every guy become the best version of themselves.  Including picking them up in his Silverado if necessary when they are buried in OP snow.  Sounds hokey, but it has worked for us.  To the point where a free agent like Von Miller actually chooses to come here.  Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

You can have your opinion, I just disagree with you.  What exactly do you mean when you say Andy Reid and Mahomes would be hard pressed to lose games like that?   We should win every road game?  KC lost to Indy on the road in week 3 this year, doesn't that count as one? 

My point in calling McDermott our savior is because that's exactly what he is for this franchise.  This whole Bills turnaround has happened because he was hired.  He then brought along Beane & cleaned house in the scouting department.  Defensively, they improved immediately under his influence, and the dynamic duo then did their due diligence & secured our QB position for the foreseeable future with #17, who is what every NFL team hopes to one day find.  It wasn't luck, they trusted their process.  You seem to find phrases like that & "stay humble & hungry" corny and/or trite, and that's ok.

But McDermott is the one who actually changed the culture here.  And that is so easy to talk about, but so difficult to do.  Every coach everywhere talks about changing the culture when they are hired.  Few actually do.  From Gregg 'airhorn' Williams to Dick Jauron to Doug Marrone to Sexy Rexy... all of them tried to do it, none of them succeeded.  McDermott did it, hackneyed phrases and all.

In those post-game speeches, it's also very easy to see that players love to play for him/would run through a wall for him.  McDermott is a true servant leader, he does whatever is necessary to help each and every guy become the best version of themselves.  Including picking them up in his Silverado if necessary when they are buried in OP snow.  Sounds hokey, but it has worked for us.  To the point where a free agent like Von Miller actually chooses to come here.  Go Bills!

May I propose naming Sean McDermott "Team Savior" and erecting oil paintings of him around the facility?

He should also be Team Motivator, and he should give inspiring chats before and after games.

In the meantime, can we have a much smarter guy to run the football team from the sideline during games?

Someone who understands Xs and Os, challenge theory, analytics, and is generally smarter than your standard athletic coach?  You can call him whatever you want.

I just wish we had one of those guys much better than McDermott.

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 11/25/2022 at 8:13 AM, Sargent Hulka said:

McDermott is a lousy in-game manager, but people like his ooh rah locker room speeches, after Allen and Diggs bail him out. You take away Allen, and McDermott wins six or seven games a season, tops. There are other coaches doing much more with much less.

If we're going to do that, let's take away Mahomes and Kelce and watch the Chiefs only win 6 or 7 games a season.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Someone who understands Xs and Os, challenge theory, analytics, and is generally smarter than your standard athletic coach?  You can call him whatever you want.

I see, you want a smart guy like a Mike McDaniel or perhaps Brandon Staley (whom many Chargers fans want fired)

"challenge theory"? 🤣

enlighten me...

10 hours ago, HankBulloughMellencamp said:

I see, you want a smart guy like a Mike McDaniel or perhaps Brandon Staley (whom many Chargers fans want fired)

"challenge theory"? 🤣

enlighten me...

Brandon Staley refuses to eat turkey for Thanksgiving, and eats CAULIFLOWER for Thanksgiving instead.

That doesn't sound smart to me! Gobble gobble gobble LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

May I propose naming Sean McDermott "Team Savior" and erecting oil paintings of him around the facility?

He should also be Team Motivator, and he should give inspiring chats before and after games.

In the meantime, can we have a much smarter guy to run the football team from the sideline during games?

8-3

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Realist said:

If we're going to do that, let's take away Mahomes and Kelce and watch the Chiefs only win 6 or 7 games a season.

Well that sounds great, but look at Reid’s track record for wins.  Those two are the difference in him winning titles.

On 11/25/2022 at 8:26 AM, JayBaller10 said:

Take away Mahomes and Andy Reid wins about the same number. They’re barely scraping by with Patrick against lesser opponents, just like we are.

Andy Reid hasn’t had a single losing season since he started coaching Kansas City in 2013. That was 5 seasons before Mahomes started for them. 

12 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Is there anything about this team you like?  Asking for a friend...

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/26/2022 at 3:10 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

There's no faint hope. Bills play the whole division one more game.  Two for the Cheatriots. 

Who says they gotta sweep. Just split Division and win the Bengals game... Bills are sitting pretty in the Conference,  Dolphins lost to Bengals. 

0-2 means squat. Just split and win the other games and they win Division.

The key is 3 of the 4 are at home.   Just those 3 wins will put us at 11 wins for the season...

and then you have the Pats on the road,  Bengals on the road and Bears on the Road...all winnable games.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

That’s interesting McDermott hasn’t had very many losing seasons either

Very true, much smaller sample size so I wouldn't say it's apples to apples at this point.

Reid has idk maybe 8 or 9 conference championship appearances, his record is abysmal in them only winning 3 I think. Didn't fact check myself that's just off memory. 

Point is Reid is a winning coach with any QB he's had, and it's been a few. 

18 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

You’re either unaware or ignoring legitimate facts that prove McDermott provides these things. 

Either way, shame on you. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Love this speech! I do think this was genuine emotion built up over the course of two games  in four days, no practice, Guys down.. yet they pulled through with two wins when they needed it most. Lions are no joke. They are on the right track and playing everyone tough, learning how to win. We were there at one point. 

I can sit here and say I am actually quite impressed that we are even 8-3 with the injuries to Key Players that we have had , also losing three Games by three points in others..

I remember last year half time of the Tampa game. We were getting crushed and they interviewed  Mcd. His voice was crackling and I thought he might actually cry as it seemed he had lost the team. They rallied and were resilient in the second half. Mcd gave credit to team leadership stepping up big time..I don’t think that happens if you give up on the coach.

Mcd can be criticized for things absolutely.  But you can’t do this and not give him credit  for having us 8-3.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.