I'm out on Romo

Dan Darragh

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

"While the get-togethers were said to have gone well, they did not improve the broadcast as Nantz and Romo continued to go in the wrong direction, much the same way as Nantz and his previous partner, Phil Simms, went backward. "

Seems that Nantz is the common denominator, here.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I don't know... I guess we're all supposed to not like Romo now but I think the reason we (Bills fans) don't is simple: Romo plays up the emotional parts of a game, and that "OH NO JIM!" or "this could be it right here...." while we're watching our season circle the drain makes us angry at Romo, even though he's just playing up the drama.

Before the Bills were really good it was just fun to listen to him draw out another fanbase's misery. 

Also, every fanbase seems convinced that he is rooting for the other team's QB during the game. 

I like his work, because he is something different. 

I don't mind him. He gets a bit annoying. He isn't biased, though. Especially not against the Bills.

3 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

I don't know... I guess we're all supposed to not like Romo now but I think the reason we (Bills fans) don't is simple: Romo plays up the emotional parts of a game, and that "OH NO JIM!" or "this could be it right here...." while we're watching our season circle the drain makes us angry at Romo, even though he's just playing up the drama.

Before the Bills were really good it was just fun to listen to him draw out another fanbase's misery. 

Also, every fanbase seems convinced that he is rooting for the other team's QB during the game. 

I like his work, because he is something different. 

I was wondering whether or not the Bills bad performance against Cinci made me finally say to my television "JFC, shut the #### up Romo!" or if it was him. 

As he was endlessly babbling his way through the AFC Championship game, a game I truly had no rooting interest in, I realized it's not about the Bills, or me, it's him... and right at the moment of that realization I hear my wife, as Saints fan, say "Would you just shut the #### up, Romo".

Play-by-play and color guys IMO should be part of the background. Once they've gotten to a place where they distract from the game they're dead to me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, transient said:

I was wondering whether or not the Bills bad performance against Cinci made me finally say to my television "JFC, shut the #### up Romo!" or if it was him. 

As he was endlessly babbling his way through the AFC Championship game, a game I truly had no rooting interest in, I realized it's not about the Bills, or me, it's him... and right at the moment of that realization I hear my wife, as Saints fan, say "Would you just shut the #### up, Romo".

Play-by-play and color guys IMO should be part of the background. Once they've gotten to a place where they distract from the game they're dead to me.

part of me wonders if all the praise he got early encouraged him to try to do more, as in say more, and the result is a bit too much sometimes

Romo reminds me of that one person you watch a game with that can't stop talking when the moment is huge.. You're having your guts ripped out as a fan and you're also getting chapter and verse in excruciating detail at the same time 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

part of me wonders if all the praise he got early encouraged him to try to do more, as in say more, and the result is a bit too much sometimes

Romo reminds me of that one person you watch a game with that can't stop talking when the moment is huge.. You're having your guts ripped out as a fan and you're also getting chapter and verse in excruciating detail at the same time 

He also used to talk football from an insider's perspective; now he just heaps endless, effusive, slobbery praise over players and jabbers on constantly about the drama and the emotion of the moment. He's become the equivalent of somebody who constantly explains a joke to me for the next five minutes after I aleady  thought it was funny... my reaction to his color now is constantly "Enough! I get it! STFU already!!".

I much preferred it when he identified things in game and prognosticated, which was probably coached out of him by the network, IMO.

Edited by transient
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, transient said:

He also used to talk football from an insider's perspective; now he just heaps endless, effusive, slobbery praise over players and jabbers on constantly about the drama and the emotion of the moment. He's become the equivalent of somebody who constantly explains a joke a joke to me for the next five minutes after I aleady  thought it was funny... my reaction to his color now is constantly "Enough! I get it! STFU already!!".

I much preferred it when he identified things in game and prognosticated, which was probably coached out of him by the network, IMO.

Yeah, I bet he was told that it was too hard for the viewer to understand or something like that, even though it was what made everyone enjoy his work

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Yeah, I bet he was told that it was too hard for the viewer to understand or something like that, even though it was what made everyone enjoy his work

He's quickly becoming a wordier Chris Collinsworth with a somewhat more likable personality and without the "Now here's a guy" schtick... which is decidedly not a compliment.

Edited by transient

On 2/3/2023 at 10:33 AM, transient said:

He also used to talk football from an insider's perspective; now he just heaps endless, effusive, slobbery praise over players and jabbers on constantly about the drama and the emotion of the moment.

That's why I can't stand Collingsworth, especially with Brady or Mahomes, gods that can do no wrong. Fulsome, lickspittle hagiography. Disgusts me. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.