I'm out on Romo

Dan Darragh

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What fans really liked about Romo was his in depth strategic analysis of what was actually happening on the field (mostly pre-snap alignments, etc) from a quarterback’s perspective. I don’t recall an announcer ever going into that much detail before. I found it super interesting. He’s dropped almost all of that and now just rambles incessantly. Zzzzz

Wouldn't surprise me if CBS told him to be less X's and O's and more goofy to satisfy the lower-intelligence fans.  Some of us may like that sort of analysis, but most don't.  Makes one wonder if John Madden could be successful today.  

I agree he has slipped from his really good start, but I thought he was good overall yesterday despite a couple “okay Tony sometimes silence is better” moments. At least he brings fairly recent experience and interesting insight based on knowledge of how the game works.

He also benefits from competing with absolute crap on the other broadcasts. 

19 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

What fans really liked about Romo was his in depth strategic analysis of what was actually happening on the field (mostly pre-snap alignments, etc) from a quarterback’s perspective. I don’t recall an announcer ever going into that much detail before. I found it super interesting. He’s dropped almost all of that and now just rambles incessantly. Zzzzz

I know...what happened? He used to call the plays before they happened and offered great stuff. All sports are transitioning to just talking with no play by play action. Hockey is the worst now

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I agree he has slipped from his really good start, but I thought he was good overall yesterday despite a couple “okay Tony sometimes silence is better” moments. At least he brings fairly recent experience and interesting insight based on knowledge of how the game works.

He also benefits from competing with absolute crap on the other broadcasts. 

He was ok the first time he predicted plays. After he saw people flip out over it he started doing it too much and it got annoying really fast. Now he just does not shut up. He tried to guess a few plays yesterday and was wrong on most. There was one in the RedZone he was completely wrong on and he stopped talking for 5 seconds. OMG the silence was amazing 

13 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Wouldn't surprise me if CBS told him to be less X's and O's and more goofy to satisfy the lower-intelligence fans.  Some of us may like that sort of analysis, but most don't.  Makes one wonder if John Madden could be successful today.  

I think it is absolutely that. They definitely told him to stop tipping plays. I think CBS dumbed him down and now he is a brutal listen. Because he never had the best voice, nor was he ever the most engaging storyteller, nor has ever been the best breaking down plays after they occurred. The USP that made him special was his ability to give you a genuine insight into the split second decisions and adjustments that were being made on the field... either drive strategy or playcalling. Once you took that away... he is announcing bot 2.0

I mean last night was drunk Phil Simms level of brutal 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

He was ok the first time he predicted plays. After he saw people flip out over it he started doing it too much and it got annoying really fast. Now he just does not shut up. He tried to guess a few plays yesterday and was wrong on most. There was one in the RedZone he was completely wrong on and he stopped talking for 5 seconds. OMG the silence was amazing 

TBH the only one I remember is probably because he got it correct, a designed Allen run around the left. May have been that one Mosley blew up that could have been a decent gain but instead went for 2-3.

I have never liked him. He is smart but he overtalks far too much and can't keep his voice quiet to let the game itself happen.

Maybe because I grew up with guys like Madden and Summerall who picked their spots far more or that in general was the way of doing things, but most of todays broadcasters just want to talk far too much for my liking.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

TBH the only one I remember is probably because he got it correct, a designed Allen run around the left. May have been that one Mosley blew up that could have been a decent gain but instead went for 2-3.

He got that one right but there was a play later in game could have been just before that play. He drew on the screen this receiver is gonna do an out and this one a fade and neither did anything close. Couple other times he said this is a run or this type of pass and it wasn't. I would mute them for long stretches tho

6 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Why is the manningcast successful?   I watched once for a couple minutes and thought it was goofy with Peyton and Eli cracking jokes on each other and only half paying attention to the game.  I saw via commercials, etc. they now have guests but who cares.  Not what I’m looking for in watching a game.

It's almost like having multiple options is a great idea and that you can't make all the people happy all of the time. 

• 1 month later...
On 11/24/2022 at 6:07 PM, Dan Darragh said:

Until now I've enjoyed Romo's commentary and his insights into the game.

Today I thought he talked too much about nonsense and was poorly prepared.  I'm done with him.

I'm done with Romo....until the next Bills game he calls.

• Haha (+1) 2

On 12/12/2022 at 7:22 AM, BillsVet said:

I wouldn't at all be surprised.  I find many of those football "analysts" simply too loud, and  obnoxious and overact with excessive laughter.  

As for Romo, I thought he was great when he stated but his shtick is not novel anymore and he does ramble.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.