I'm out on Romo

Dan Darragh

I really enjoyed when he started trying to make up his own lyrics to a Christmas song, I think Nance even helped him out with a rhyme and Tony was like nah dude I got it, decided not to rhyme at all, and then he just continued to ramble and make what really just amounted to strange sing-songy noises before the commercial break. Extremely cringe can be entertaining, I agree.

• Like (+1) 1

Not nitpicking him, just word choice, flow, cadence, and substance. It's not what it used to be. Very gee golly gosh. At times I have asked if he was intoxicated as so many lines just tapper off or connect together forming a sort of gibberish. It's lazy to me. He's clearly got the ability to be really insightful, I just don't think he puts in the time anymore. I have no other way to describe it. Really, I barely notice these guys and really only noticed heavily based on this thread. Nance is an elite play by play guy. It's enough to plow through, but i wonder if he isn't noticing it as well. 

His commentary now is not what it was when he started. He used to prepare. He had a few stories chambered on a select players. He deferred to the senior announcer and didn’t step over them as much. Can’t remember his voice quality when he came onto the scene,  but can someone get him tea with honey at some point?

Feels to me like someone who realized he could get paid for not working as hard so he doesn’t. He does still predict plays and he as spot on a couple of them today. He’s not the worst but he’s not my favorite.

2 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

Manningcast is a novelty for me. I'll tune in if I don't care about the game, it can be amusing but I have no doubt I'll grow tired of it. The celebrities can be entertaining - as long as they don't comment on the game action. 

I can't watch Mannings if its a game I care about. Its distracting. And then when they have guests on they just interview them and ignore the game.  Occasionally they talk about a play for about 3 plays.

I feel like telling them what my Dad used to say when people in the room were randomly talking about other stuff. If you're not going to watch the game, go in another room.

I'm not a big Tony Romo fan but I'm not really a fan of any of them. Its background noise to me. Nowadays they have the score, clock, down and distance, and timeouts on the screen all the time so really they aren't necessary.

He does like to use the word:

matriculate

As in: "Matriculate down the field."

you-keep-using-that-word-meme.jpg?fit=30

And if Tony thinks he's being cute and quoting Hank Stram:

Well... He's NOT.

Stram is saying: "atriculate." Atriculating the ball down the field.

articulate

är-tĭk′yə-lĭt

adjective:

Composed of distinct, meaningful syllables or words.

Expressing oneself easily in clear and effective language.

Characterized by the use of clear, expressive language.

Having the power of speech.

Consisting of sections united by joints; jointed.

intransitive verb:

To pronounce distinctly and carefully; enunciate.

To utter (a speech sound) by making the necessary movements of the speech organs.

To express in coherent verbal form.

To fit together into a coherent whole; unify.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition.

More at Wordnik

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Malazan said:

It feels like they molded him into every other analyst so what made him interesting early on has disappeared and he's just kind of annoying like most announcers now. You'd think the success of the manningcast would get these networks to start trying something new. 

Why is the manningcast successful?   I watched once for a couple minutes and thought it was goofy with Peyton and Eli cracking jokes on each other and only half paying attention to the game.  I saw via commercials, etc. they now have guests but who cares.  Not what I’m looking for in watching a game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

romo is a ball washer. yesterday it was white he was ball washing. turkey day he was ball washing the lions. he was even ball washing the browns.

I didn't like his choking ass when he played for the cowgirls and I can't stand his ball washing game analysis.

funny thing is, as much as he was propping up those players/teams, they all lost and his boy white, well, milano took care of him. 

I'm out on commentators in general.   Call the game and have banter.  But for the love of God save the hyperbole.   It seems like everyone who makes any play in a football game or coaches a game is "incredible, fantastic, has superior skills, is a future All Pro, unbelievable, outstanding, a great one"

Most of the players are gifted in comparison to regular people, but in comparison to other players they are just part of a team.  Most of the coaches are on their way to being fired soon.   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Curiously, Romo nailed a call or three about what the Bills were about to do on offense. In that sense, he still prognosticates.

I find him funny and easy to listen to; pairs well with Nance.

To each their own. Admittedly, I am not bothered by any announcers, per se.  I am so invested in the game flow that I do not focus on them, they are complimentary to the action.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Why is the manningcast successful?   I watched once for a couple minutes and thought it was goofy with Peyton and Eli cracking jokes on each other and only half paying attention to the game.  I saw via commercials, etc. they now have guests but who cares.  Not what I’m looking for in watching a game.

Interestingly - that is exactly why I like it.  I don’t need Aikman, Romo, Collingsworth, etc talking about how great these certain players are and providing non stop diarrhea - even when they have a bad play.

I like how the Manning’s basically are not paying attention to the 80% of the game that does not matter and then focus in more on the 1 or 2 plays that really matter.  The rest of the time they are joking around or talking about anything other than the game at hand.

How much do we need to hear about a RB named Bam on plays he gets stopped for no gain or loses yards.  Yesterday Romo was all over the guy on several plays that he got blown up, but less talkative on better plays.  

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I'm out on commentators in general.   Call the game and have banter.  But for the love of God save the hyperbole.   It seems like everyone who makes any play in a football game or coaches a game is "incredible, fantastic, has superior skills, is a future All Pro, unbelievable, outstanding, a great one"

Most of the players are gifted in comparison to regular people, but in comparison to other players they are just part of a team.  Most of the coaches are on their way to being fired soon.   

Can I interest you in a membership to 'Cynics United'?  We're not socially active, but I am working on a group discount for auto insurance. 😁

What fans really liked about Romo was his in depth strategic analysis of what was actually happening on the field (mostly pre-snap alignments, etc) from a quarterback’s perspective. I don’t recall an announcer ever going into that much detail before. I found it super interesting. He’s dropped almost all of that and now just rambles incessantly. Zzzzz

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, benderbender said:

His commentary now is not what it was when he started. He used to prepare. He had a few stories chambered on a select players. He deferred to the senior announcer and didn’t step over them as much. Can’t remember his voice quality when he came onto the scene,  but can someone get him tea with honey at some point?

Feels to me like someone who realized he could get paid for not working as hard so he doesn’t. He does still predict plays and he as spot on a couple of them today. He’s not the worst but he’s not my favorite.

or the same stories only go so far and he’s figuring out life as you get deeper into the career. Plus you’ve heard him a lot this year.

honestly though, I think just a case of narrating games for 60+ hours a year is a lot of volume of talking and some will be good but some will be clunky 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.