Okay, I'll bite...did the Bass missed XP actually help us out?

Rubes

I think it did in respect of changing the Lions mindset. When it got to 4th and 1, and they were in FG range, they were comfortable about taking it.

If they failed to get the yard, it was game over, but the FG still kept them in it.

If they needed 4 points, then they would have definitely gone for it, basically, with no other option, and they had mostly been successful through the game, when they did.

They also still had at least one timeout to use, iirc, so they could have run the football if they had got close.

The other aspect of taking the FG, was giving us time on the clock, which we probably wouldn't have got otherwise. The D would have had to stop them.

2 hours ago, Process said:

Dan Campbell sure did. Some of the worst game and time management I've ever seen. Both at the end of the first half before the two minute warning and at the end of the game. 

But yes you're right, going up by 3 ended up being a good thing. 

Very strange that they didn't run it twice seeing as they went for it four times on 4th Down. 

34 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

No.  We'd have been ahead.  WTF?  are you saying we otherwise couldn't run out the clock?  I get 13 seconds and all but the Lions aren't KC

No idea what you’re talking about…

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Process said:

Dan Campbell sure did. Some of the worst game and time management I've ever seen. Both at the end of the first half before the two minute warning and at the end of the game. 

But yes you're right, going up by 3 ended up being a good thing. 

Agreed, Campbell helped us alot. I don't understand how none of the other coaches didnt ask Campbell why he wasnt calling timeouts before the half. Completely botched that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Just watched a replay of the game winning FG... 

Phew... just snuck inside the post...

If Josh doesnt pick up that extra 10 yards after the Diggs catch its a miss...

A-freakin-men, and that is a huge point you bring up.  Thank God Josh was able to gain those extra ten yards because like you said, add those ten extra and it's wide left by a significant amount.....and I am NOT among those who thought missing the extra point helped us out.  At the time Bass missed that extra point, I was shouting obscenities that would've made Andrew Dice Clay uncomfortable. 

You have no idea how happy I am to come away with a victory today.  It makes watching all the other games so much more enjoyable, makes my work week so much more enjoyable.  Plus it helps my marriage, because when the Bills lose, I am one sulky, pouty, two-year old girl acting SOB, and noone wants to be around me 😂

This may be me reaching a little bit, but I was so happy for Josh and to see him so emotionally hype, with the big yell after the kick, and hugging Diggs on the sideline.  These last couple weeks he has in no way resembled his normal self, so to get this win I imagine he was able to breathe a sigh of relief.  In a way I feel like he was able to exorcise the "13 second" demons.  Perhaps now he begins to pick up the pieces and put his MVP campaign back in full swing.

Edited by smuvtalker
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

A-freakin-men, and that is a huge point you bring up.  Thank God Josh was able to gain those extra ten yards because like you said, add those ten extra and it's wide left by a significant amount.....and I am NOT among those who thought missing the extra point helped us out.  At the time Bass missed that extra point, I was shouting obscenities that would've made Andrew Dice Clay uncomfortable. 

You have no idea how happy I am to come away with a victory today.  It makes watching all the other games so much more enjoyable, makes my work week so much more enjoyable.  Plus it helps my marriage, because when the Bills lose, I am one sulky, pouty, two-year old girl acting SOB, and noone wants to be around me 😂

Its a massive win.. 

Its the first time in a while that they have won a game that they probably didnt deserve too...

Considering all the issues that they have going on at the moment with injuries and form they needed to find a way to pull it out to keep pace with the rest..

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Just watched a replay of the game winning FG... 

Phew... just snuck inside the post...

If Josh doesnt pick up that extra 10 yards after the Diggs catch its a miss...

Bass was slightly off all day. Missed the PAT, nearly missed that GW FG, and I am almost sure he missed the first PAT (but the refs somehow didn’t see it). 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Rubes said:

Hear me out...😁!

If Bass makes the XP, we go up by 4. Detroit now has to score a TD rather than a FG, so they're likely much more aggressive on their last drive. Do they score? Not sure, but the way the D was playing at that point, it sure seemed like it was coming. If Detroit scores the TD—if there is any time left at that point—then the Bills need a FG just to tie, and then it goes into OT to who knows what...

By missing the XP, Detroit plays it a little more safe and (for some reason) is satisfied with playing for the FG and OT, leaving us with juuuuuust enough time to break the tie.

Not saying Bass did that on purpose, of course, but the end result...?

😜

Pretty much said the same thing after the game.  

• Like (+1) 1

I didn't realize it at the time, but it occured to me later.  I even mentioned it to my kids.  Yes, by default you'd want the 4-point lead each time.  Make them work more.

They got close though, and elected to kick a field goal.  Had they needed a TD they would have gone for it instead.  I have no confidence we would have stopped them, given we already blew multiple 4th down stops.

There was a very real risk the Lions would have killed more time and punched in the TD, which now would have forced us to drive all the way down for a TD with even less time.

I believe that missed XP very, very likely saved our bacon this game.

Edited by The Red King

This subject

6 hours ago, Rubes said:

Hear me out...😁!

If Bass makes the XP, we go up by 4. Detroit now has to score a TD rather than a FG, so they're likely much more aggressive on their last drive. Do they score? Not sure, but the way the D was playing at that point, it sure seemed like it was coming. If Detroit scores the TD—if there is any time left at that point—then the Bills need a FG just to tie, and then it goes into OT to who knows what...

By missing the XP, Detroit plays it a little more safe and (for some reason) is satisfied with playing for the FG and OT, leaving us with juuuuuust enough time to break the tie.

Not saying Bass did that on purpose, of course, but the end result...?

😜

This very subject was discussed on the Locked On Bills podcast. The video below will play right when this very situation is being discussed. He agreed with the OP.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

so not considering a SB this year?

I did and disagree.

The point made is that Detroit made it deep into Buffalo territory and settled for a tying FG.  Had we made the extra point, Detroit would have needed 4 instead of 3.  They would not have kicked a FG there, and gone for it instead.

Detroit had already attempted and made several 4th down conversions.  If they succeeded they'd have a new set of downs, a decent amount of time and their time-outs.

There was a very good chance Detroit would have gotten the TD, and not given Buffalo enough time to get the TD they'd need.

THAT is the point the OP was making.

• Thank you (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.