Okay, I'll bite...did the Bass missed XP actually help us out?

Rubes

Hear me out...😁!

If Bass makes the XP, we go up by 4. Detroit now has to score a TD rather than a FG, so they're likely much more aggressive on their last drive. Do they score? Not sure, but the way the D was playing at that point, it sure seemed like it was coming. If Detroit scores the TD—if there is any time left at that point—then the Bills need a FG just to tie, and then it goes into OT to who knows what...

By missing the XP, Detroit plays it a little more safe and (for some reason) is satisfied with playing for the FG and OT, leaving us with juuuuuust enough time to break the tie.

Not saying Bass did that on purpose, of course, but the end result...?

😜

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 15
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Rubes said:

Hear me out...😁!

If Bass makes the XP, we go up by 4. Detroit now has to score a TD rather than a FG, so they're likely much more aggressive on their last drive. Do they score? Not sure, but the way the D was playing at that point, it sure seemed like it was coming. If Detroit scores the TD—if there is any time left at that point—then the Bills need a FG just to tie, and then it goes into OT to who knows what...

By missing the XP, Detroit plays it a little more safe and (for some reason) is satisfied with playing for the FG and OT, leaving us with juuuuuust enough time to break the tie.

😜

It’s a rational thought.  The missed XP probably did not ch age probability of winning much

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Bills of Boston said:

Soooort of. But man in the moment it rattled me haha

No kidding. At the time I was SUUUUUUUPER pissed. I mean, the kind of pissed that probably made some people in my family a little uncomfortable.

• Haha (+1) 6

From a statistical standpoint… The four point lead… It’s tough to defend because they’re in four down territory… 4 plays for 10 yards 

Down three… Once they cross the 40 they’re in three down mode .. 

But you obviously always want to be winning by the most points

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Probably. Down 3 they  seemed content to try for the FG setup. The way the pass D was playing it felt like they would surrender a TD if pressed. The Lions would have been more aggressive and I’d like their chances better down 4. 

2 minutes ago, Beast said:

No because they tied it.

They would have needed a TD and I’ll take that all day every day.

I’d generally agree but not vs todays Bills pass D. 

• Like (+1) 2

I made the argument to my son that in retrospect it did.  Detroit would have sucked all the clock out instead of playing for the FG.  I was stunned when he missed it, but it did change the game and what the Lions needed to do. 

Edited by wjag

34 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Hear me out...😁!

😜

If we scored a TD instead if a safety it would have been  24-14. They don’t go for 2 so 24-21. Thrn getting a TD without XP puts us up 30-21……

I agree. Don’t back them into a corner and have to go four downs every set until they score. Our defense has been an absolute liability these last four weeks that they should absolutely not be trusted to get a stop. I think if the Lions wanted to go for the win, which I would have done based on how our defense looked, I would have kept going for that TD to beat us. We weren’t stopping them with four downs

• Agree 2

The Thanksgiving day early game is about the only NFL game of the year my partner is willing to sit through. When Bass missed I said "that is a good thing because Detroit will play for 3 and there might be time for us to go the other way and win it". I got raised eyebrows at the time in response but I 100% think I was right. Them needing 4 would by no means have assured they got a TD but they definitely played that last drive conservative needing a FG to tie. 

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Process said:

Dan Campbell sure did. Some of the worst game and time management I've ever seen. Both at the end of the first half before the two minute warning and at the end of the game. 

But yes you're right, going up by 3 ended up being a good thing. 

I was pissed after refs changed the clock to from 23 seconds to 32 seconds left just before their FG attempt but it ended up helping us.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.