Very disturbing to see how many fans have turned against Allen.

BuffaloBills1998

4 minutes ago, todd said:

Are you suggesting he's not? He's effing awesome, and that throw to Diggs, despite gutting it out with an injury proves it. Any other answer than "Josh is awesome and I ask forgiveness for anything I've ever said even remotely negative about him" is what fools think. Repent.

I know he is but some fans either feel Josh can't be blamed at all for mistakes and others want to blame everything on him. To me there's a middle point and that's where I'm at. I mean I was upset with Josh's interception and near interception but also give him credit for the clutch pass to Diggs on the final drive. 

Edited by The Jokeman

I think it is a fair critique to say that Allen's play in the last few games has been very up and down. The interceptions, poor RZ play, tipped balls, etc...

If it wasn't for Allen's ability to run, his play would be downright awful.

Now whether it is his elbow, mental, bad OL play, or poor offense design by Dorsey...who knows?

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

It’s really disheartening and disturbing these last 5 games how many have turned against Allen. Guy gives it his all and puts his heart and soul on the team. Has he played reckless? Yes he has. But the team around him outside of Diggs has not helped him much at all. Davis is not the true number 2 WR that we all hoped he would become after his playoff stint against the Chiefs. Knox has also taken a big step back since getting his new contract and that’s becoming a growing theme not only for us but to every team around the league. Also the o line has regressed and large part due to injuries. Chances are we’re going to need a new center and move on from Morse. 

to all those who dislike Allen now. Just remember what we had for 17 years before Allen came to us. Remember Bledsoe, Losman, Fitzpatrick and Edwards, Van Pelt etc

Lmao Josh himself has said he keeps playing like *****. The only people who disagree are people like you 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, purple haze said:

Turning the ball over in the red zone will cause a team to struggle.  It costs points and makes games closer than they otherwise might be.   Do that across multiple weeks what do we have?  Dogfight games.  That’s just basic principles of football.  He needs to stop turning the ball over in the red zone.  Period.

Yet, He’s still the guy I want leading the team.   He’s a dog and he’ll get it together eventually.  Both thoughts can co-exist.

Yesterday's red zone turnover was 95% stale playcalling and 5% Allen. It makes me want to revisit the other seemingly inexplicable red zone mistakes to see how much of this is tipped off by Dorsey calling stuff that there is copious film study on how to stop it, and failing to adjust during weekly game planning. "Ah screw it, it worked against the Titans, run it again"

Edit: That's for the actual interception. The "almost interception" is 100% on the rookie and frankly superior execution by Allen that it wasn't an actual interception. The last one I can think was conclusively all on Allen was the one he tried to turf that got scooped vs GB 2nd half. I think there's a heavy setup-to-fail scheme component to a lot of the rest.

Edited by Ralonzo

Just now, Ralonzo said:

Yesterday's red zone turnover was 95% stale playcalling and 5% Allen. It makes me want to revisit the other seemingly inexplicable red zone mistakes to see how much of this is tipped off by Dorsey calling stuff that there is copious film study on how to stop it, and failing to adjust during weekly game planning. "Ah screw it, it worked against the Titans, run it again"

Dorsey definitely needs to up his game and show some creativity and the ability to adjust.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I think it is a fair critique to say that Allen's play in the last few games has been very up and down. The interceptions, poor RZ play, tipped balls, etc...

If it wasn't for Allen's ability to run, his play would be downright awful.

Now whether it is his elbow, mental, bad OL play, or poor offense design by Dorsey...who knows?

I think “downright awful” is a hyperbole. They are putting up roughly 30 points a game. “Below what we have come to expect from Josh”, I’m willing to grant. 

But “downright awful” when 25+ franchises would gladly accept the output in a rut?  Makes me wonder if there is a loss of perspective…

• Agree 2

Just now, Ralonzo said:

I disagree. Play was there to be made, Diggs annihilated his man.

I think Josh can’t zip it everytime with his elbow. That extra half second equals more passes batted down.

Just now, Tim Tindale said:

I think “downright awful” is a hyperbole. They are putting up roughly 30 points a game. “Below what we have come to expect from Josh”, I’m willing to grant. 

But “downright awful” when 25+ franchises would gladly accept the output in a rut?  Makes me wonder if there is a loss of perspective…

Josh leads the league in interceptions and at certain points, he and the coaches don’t trust his arm and very obviously make him play Cam Newton ball.

Thats not good.

Who exactly has turned on Allen? While it's fair to question how good he really is in the top 10 QB discussion, you can't blame him for the slop around him that our alleged genius GM assembled on this roster. Nor can you blame the hideous coaching and play calling at times.

I've said this before though, if you take JA17 out of the equation not only is this a bottom 5 NFL team/roster, but we'd already be on a new head coach and GM a long time ago. And should this team fail to meet lofty expectations this year which is looking more and more likely as the season goes on that's why you can't be afraid to make sweeping changes knowing the current window is only going to be open for so long, if not slammed shut in the next few years.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

I think Josh can’t zip it everytime with his elbow. That extra half second equals more passes batted down.

Disagree. They've run that RPO fire slant all season and defenses have adapted over time. At first it worked well, then it would get covered by the DB, then the DL would know to get an arm up to bat it, and finally it resulted in a turnover. You could see this coming week-over-week because the play apparently has an obvious key that defenses have located to know when it's coming.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

...and how much of the offense would disappear if it wasn't Allen's heroics when running the ball over the last few weeks?  If you go back and read my post, I was speaking of the passing game over the last few weeks.

Edited by LabattBlue

10 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Josh leads the league in interceptions and at certain points, he and the coaches don’t trust his arm and very obviously make him play Cam Newton ball.

Thats not good.

?? — the throw started out perfectly and was on a rope. If that isn’t tipped, it’s a TD. Tips happen and they are essentially random. I will grant that the d-line did seem to know what was coming, but that’s on the play caller, not the player. I don’t really fault Allen for that pick. There is randomness in the sport and that’s a classic example. Again, it was a bullet that was going to be a TD. 

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Tim Tindale said:

I think you nailed it with “below what we have come to expect.”

And the fact that we’re a long-cursed (seemingly) and championship starved fan base, it only heightens the emotions and overreactions.  When the start of every season begins with ‘THIS is our year,’ we’ve already built these expectations in our head. I’m guilty of not sleeping on my thoughts sometimes!

• Agree 1

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Tips happen and they are essentially random.

Wasn't there a stat here earlier in the season that Josh has the highest(or one of the highest) percentage of passes tipped?  Just surprising for a QB who is 6'5".  Wouldn't be as surprising for QB who are on the shorter side.

17 hours ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

It’s really disheartening and disturbing these last 5 games how many have turned against Allen. Guy gives it his all and puts his heart and soul on the team. Has he played reckless? Yes he has. But the team around him outside of Diggs has not helped him much at all. Davis is not the true number 2 WR that we all hoped he would become after his playoff stint against the Chiefs. Knox has also taken a big step back since getting his new contract and that’s becoming a growing theme not only for us but to every team around the league. Also the o line has regressed and large part due to injuries. Chances are we’re going to need a new center and move on from Morse. 

to all those who dislike Allen now. Just remember what we had for 17 years before Allen came to us. Remember Bledsoe, Losman, Fitzpatrick and Edwards, Van Pelt etc

This is Buffalo Bills territory every time they lose a game someone is calling for Beane or McD to be fired - Beane can't build a team he doesn't know how to choose good depth players - McD is terrible at clock management the D they called sucked - the training staff isn't good enough we got to many guys getting hurt - Frazier play calling for the D sucks we need to fire every body & start over ...

Typical Bills Mafia stuff can't men everybody happy until they win a game by scoring 40 points then its all about GO BILLS !! Need to get use to it if you plan on being a Bills fan !! 

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Wasn't there a stat here earlier in the season that Josh has the highest(or one of the highest) percentage of passes tipped?  Just surprising for a QB who is 6'5".  Wouldn't be as surprising for QB who are on the shorter side.

Well, the Bills throw a lot and he is really hard to sack. And a lot of the near sacks result in 15 yard runs and 25-yard scramble throws. It seems to me that teams probably do more leaps to block passes against the Bills than against other teams. It stands to reason, and also the number of passes that are actually tipped is very, very low. With someone like Goff or Mac Jones or Stafford or Burrow or Garappolo or Cousins, it’s probably wiser to just tee off and go for the sack.

Edited by dave mcbride

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Seems like Josh has almost somewhat of a sidearm release. Kelly’s motion was much more over the top. Josh seems to come from the side more.. more like a baseball throw.  Just what I’m seeing. Maybe that’s a bad take though…

5 minutes ago, Playoffs? said:

I think you nailed it with “below what we have come to expect.”

And the fact that we’re a long-cursed (seemingly) and championship starved fan base, it only heightens the emotions and overreactions.  When the start of every season begins with ‘THIS is our year,’ we’ve already built these expectations in our head. I’m guilty of not sleeping on my thoughts sometimes!

The NFL has been such a QB-driven league for a long time - a couple decades now.  When I think about what the Bills would be if they stepped down to just average at the QB position - even during this rut - it’s not a pretty picture. Essentially, Allen’s WAR has to be exceptionally high even during an injury-induced slump. Call me sentimental, but it makes me a grateful fan. Lived through a lot of disasters at the QB position post-Kelly. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Me:  Josh looks confused out there.  I hope he gets it together.  

tbd Karen:  you’re not a real fan!  Real fans wouldn’t turn on Josh Allen like that!

Did you see Josh’s postgame presser? When asked about Romo’s comments about how injured he really is, his response was very telling. Watch it.

He didn’t say “I’m okay” or anything of the sort. If you ask me, his facial expression and non-answer tells me he is in pretty rough shape, physically.

This explains a whole lot about his recent play, the interception and even the play calls. It’s really interesting, actually.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.