Von Miller knee injury (update - ACL intact, awaiting diagnosis on lateral meniscus)

YoloinOhio

Good article by TBN new add Ryan O'Halloran

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ryan-ohalloran-a-potential-von-miller-timetable-and-other-bills-musings/article_1a469f96-6d2b-11ed-b734-2fc221fe5601.html

O'Halloran interviews Carlos Uquillas, a team physician for the Los Angeles Angels and orthopedic surgeon at Cedars-Sinai’s Kerlan-Jobe Institute in Los Angeles

So what is the lateral meniscus?

“It’s the cartilage pad in between the femur and the tibia and the main thing it does is provide protection for the joint and is the shock absorber,” Uquillas said. “It is basically a disruption of that cartilage and some tears can be played with and some can’t.

“The key is the next few days and how much swelling he develops and if there is any bone-bruising associated with it and any sprained ligaments associated with it as well.”

At minimum, Miller will have 16 full days between the injury and the Bills’ Dec. 11 home game against the New York Jets.

Uquillas said returning that quickly is doable.

“If the knee doesn’t swell much and you can control it early, sometimes you can get back from a meniscus tear within a week or two,” he said. “If there is swelling and bone-bruising, it can take a little bit longer.”

Basically, we all want answers soonest, but the question is, is this a tear Miller can play through and how much additional damage is there?

No shortcuts, Time will Tell.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, NewEra said:

Well….when I say we didn’t take advantage, that’s what I meant.  On top of the east division games, the 17th added game, we got the WFT at home.  Free W.  

We went 1-3 vs the weak AFC south , losing to Tenn, jax and got steamrolled by the colts.  That cost us home field. 

We went 3-1 vs the weak NFC south- one good team and 3 crap teams-  

our schedule was easy.  Easier than KCs-

afc north and nfc east- their games vs division winners- packers, titans , bill.

our game vs division winners - WFT, Steelers, chiefs.  

we even had the tiebreaker but couldn’t take advantage.  

But the conversation was about us getting to play the weak AFC East and KC getting to play the weak AFC West?

Yes we all know the Titans and Jaguars games screwed us.

20 hours ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Or they could sign Love to the active roster and cut one of the useless linebackers who were easily replaced by picking up AJ Klein off the waiver wire, as an upgrade. 

I don't think we're at huge risk of Mike Love being signed by another team. Always possible, but he's been available around the league for several years now. 

Not sure who you mean by this.

45 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

But the conversation was about us getting to play the weak AFC East and KC getting to play the weak AFC West?

Yes we all know the Titans and Jaguars games screwed us.

Oops sorry.  I was responding to the chiefs getting “another cake walk”.  Not sure why we would pigeon hole it to only division games when the actual schedule better encapsulates what is an actually cake walk. 

8 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

He was pretty good though!  Before he played he was playing video of his injury and talking about it so was super interesting. It's completely up in the air right now. I don't think he plays in the regular season. A chance in the playoffs though.

What did he say?

12 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

Using the word "useless" is probably a bit too strong. But I am thinking any of Dodson, Matakevich, and Spector would not be great losses. 

They all have some value but nothing special. 

Matekevich was signed for his ST chops.  Dodson is a staunch STer.  TBD’ers don’t think it’s important but McDermott does

As noted elsewhere, Dodson seemed to do OK with a week of practice vs. Pittsburgh, but he struggled against the Browns on one practice in a “snow week”

There’s no question that Klein is faster to “read and react”

Spector I haven’t seen too much of and Bernard I’m not too sure about.  He seemed to get himself in the right position most of the time then get trucked.

8 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

He was pretty good though!  Before he played he was playing video of his injury and talking about it so was super interesting. It's completely up in the air right now. I don't think he plays in the regular season. A chance in the playoffs though.

So what did Miller say about his injury?

It seems to me if the Bills players try to save themselves for the playoffs, there’s a real chance we won’t make the playoffs at all

Edited by Beck Water

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So what did Miller say about his injury?

It seems to me if the Bills players try to save themselves for the playoffs, there’s a real chance we won’t make the playoffs at all

How can you possibly even say this with a straight face? Sheesh.

We think the playoffs will be Chiefs/Dolphins/Titans/Ravens/Jets/Patriots/Chargers?

2 games ahead of both the Chargers and Patriots and we have 4 games against the AFC East left and the AFC East play each other 3 more times.

Like come on. 🙄

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

We think the playoffs will be Chiefs/Dolphins/Titans/Ravens/Jets/Patriots/Chargers?

2 games ahead of both the Chargers and Patriots and we have 4 games against the AFC East left and the AFC East play each other 3 more times.

Like come on. 🙄

To be honest, I didn’t think it was a particularly controversial statement.  There’s a very realistic chance that if the Bills level up their consistency, they can win the division and even (with a little help) win the #1 seed in the conference.  But with 6 games left, 4 other teams in the conference with winning records, and only a 2 game lead, it seems like simple math that the playoffs aren’t a lock.

We’ve all seen what happens when the Bills walk into a game thinking they don’t need to bring their very best to come out with a W

I’m not saying I think that’s what will happen, or trying to be a Debbie, just making the point that if the players who brought us this far can play, I’m not sure it’s a sound strategy to feel we can put them “on ice” until the playoffs.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Like come on. 🙄

Do you really think there’s zero% chance we miss the playoffs if Von Miller is out for the regular season?  

our schedule isn’t easy, we have major players injured, including our all world QB and our OC doesn’t have our offense firing on all cylinders.  Dawkins might miss a game or few.  

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Do you really think there’s zero% chance we miss the playoffs if Von Miller is out for the regular season?  

our schedule isn’t easy, we have major players injured, including our all world QB and our OC doesn’t have our offense firing on all cylinders.  Dawkins might miss a game or few.  

Assuming 10-7 gets you in, the chance of us going 1-5 has to be pretty dang close to 0

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

What did he say?

Matekevich was signed for his ST chops.  Dodson is a staunch STer.  TBD’ers don’t think it’s important but McDermott does

As noted elsewhere, Dodson seemed to do OK with a week of practice vs. Pittsburgh, but he struggled against the Browns on one practice in a “snow week”

There’s no question that Klein is faster to “read and react”

Spector I haven’t seen too much of and Bernard I’m not too sure about.  He seemed to get himself in the right position most of the time then get trucked.

I believe ST'ers have value but as you say, probably not as much as McD.  My point is just that if the sh*t hits the fan roster-wise and they needed to make some moves, if one of those guys was waived I don't think the Bills Super Bowl odds change any. 

I am not sure about Bernard either but just assumed with his draft position he's not going anywhere, as opposed to Spector being a 7th rounder it's possible that he could make it to the PS.  

45 minutes ago, Process said:

Assuming 10-7 gets you in, the chance of us going 1-5 has to be pretty dang close to 0

I just wouldn’t assume that 10-7 gets us in- could be tie breakers-  look at the pats and chargers schedules both teams have 4 possible wins. 

Don’t get me wrong-  I think we’ll get in, but I just don’t think a playoff bid is guaranteed.   There’s always a chance for more injuries and referees blowing games for us.  

Our offense needs to show they can get back to business

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Process said:

We've only had 17 games for a couple seasons, and I'm not the odds-meister to determine how adding a game changes things.

At least one 10 win team has missed playoffs 5 of the last 10 years, as recently as 2020

So I'd kind of rather get more wins and not find out.

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

To be honest, I didn’t think it was a particularly controversial statement.  There’s a very realistic chance that if the Bills level up their consistency, they can win the division and even (with a little help) win the #1 seed in the conference.  But with 6 games left, 4 other teams in the conference with winning records, and only a 2 game lead, it seems like simple math that the playoffs aren’t a lock.

We’ve all seen what happens when the Bills walk into a game thinking they don’t need to bring their very best to come out with a W

I’m not saying I think that’s what will happen, or trying to be a Debbie, just making the point that if the players who brought us this far can play, I’m not sure it’s a sound strategy to feel we can put them “on ice” until the playoffs.

Bills currently 96% to make the playoffs

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I don't doubt we can lose a couple more games but there is zero indication we would lose more than 3 which is the same amount of losses in 6 games as we had in 11 games. Thats pessimistic at best.

Assuming we win 3 more games, we beat 3 of the Jets, Pats, Bengals, Dolphins, Bears, 5 of which are our direct competition. 

Bills @ Pats

Dolphins @ Bills

Jets @ Bills

Bills @ Bengals

Pats @ Bills

On top of that, our direct competition (assuming we don't win the division) is the Bengals, Jets, Pats, Chargers. Guess who they play? 

Jets @ Dolphins

Bengals @ Pats

Dolphins @ Pats

Chiefs @ Bengals

Dolphins @ Chargers

That's at least 3 losses potentially dealt by us to our competition and a guaranteed 4-5 losses minimum dealt to our competition. That is also assuming they run the table on the other random teams they play?

Give me a break.

The chance is there sure, it always is. But it would take a very specific failure by the Bills, and very specific wins by everyone else for it to happen. 

To be speculating it on a Bills forum as a "real chance" is silly.

2 hours ago, NewEra said:

See above.

Edited by What a Tuel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

43 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Bills currently 96% to make the playoffs

I had a 97% chance to win a fantasy matchup tonight-  then I went against Josh Jacobs and Christian Watson.  Lost by 3.

we will most likely make the playoffs.  I don’t think it would take much to really screw us up.  Say dawkins has a high ankle sprain and he’s out the next 3 games- Rousseau misses the next 2- von is out for the next 3- No Von, Dawkins and Rousseau we could conceivably lose the next 3 games and be 0-5 in the division.  Unlikely….. but I wouldn’t be shocked. All 3 teams are solid.  

34 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

I don't doubt we can lose a couple more games but there is zero indication we would lose more than 3 which is the same amount of losses in 6 games as we had in 11 games. Thats pessimistic at best.

You lost me right there.   I think it's safe to say this isn't a topic where we'll be able to have a productive discussion, so agree to disagree.

Note that I don't want the Bills to lose ANY more games and I think "running the table" is entirely do-able for the team if they take care of business and focus

But at the same time, I have no idea what is meant by "there is zero indication we would lose more than 3" means.  We lost 3 close games that we could easily have won if one or two of a handful of plays had fallen differently; one could equally well say that we won 3 close games we could easily have lost if one or two of a handful of plays had fallen differently. 

So when I read "there is zero indication we would lose more than 3", I don't think we speak the same language, where probabilities are concerned, even independent of the team being different in the second half of the season if we're missing a key player like Von Miller and have other key players such as Dawkins or Groot or Edmunds absent for more time or if Allen fails to regroup from his UCL injury.

Again, I don't want the Bills to lose any more games, and I hope they will make the playoffs, I just don't see it as a sure thing, especially if we are without 1 or 2 of our best players any length of time.

Edited by Beck Water

25 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

Assuming we win 3 more games, we beat 3 of the Jets, Pats, Bengals, Dolphins, Bears, 5 of which are our direct competition. 

Bills @ Pats

Dolphins @ Bills

Jets @ Bills

Bills @ Bengals

Pats @ Bills

On top of that, our direct competition (assuming we don't win the division) is the Bengals, Jets, Pats, Chargers. Guess who they play? 

Jets @ Dolphins

Bengals @ Pats

Dolphins @ Pats

Chiefs @ Bengals

Dolphins @ Chargers

That's at least 3 losses potentially dealt by us to our competition and a guaranteed 4-5 losses minimum dealt to our competition. That is also assuming they run the table on the other random teams they play?

Give me a break.

The chance is there sure, it always is. But it would take a very specific failure by the Bills, and very specific wins by everyone else for it to happen. 

To be speculating it on a Bills forum as a "real chance" is silly.

See above.

i understand.  I don’t think it’s likely, but injuries and the current state of our O leaves the door open for some upsets.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.