Von Miller knee injury (update - ACL intact, awaiting diagnosis on lateral meniscus)

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, DrPJax said:

I understand, however medicine is based on years of educated guessing , observation , and most injuries have similar mechanisms responsible for their pathology. For example, if you see a guy coughing badly with sputum or shortness of breath , it’s a realistic bet a pneumonia is POSSIBLE!  These guys have years of experience and let’s face it , acl tears have common signs and symptoms.and stresses that cause them. Of course no one can DIAGNOSE it 100% correctly without an imaging study , mri in this case. But he is a board certified Dr in sports medicine. That’s all he does. Acl tears and ankle injuries are the most common sports injuries.  That’s like saying a pediatrician can’t recognize a diaper rash! , or a dentist  can’t recognize a cavity. Or a gynecologist can’t recognize a ,,,,well you get the point!   But just a dr saying it doesn’t make it fact !😊

I’m as upset as you are but no reason to shoot the messenger. Could he be wrong , could von  just have a lax ACL and this is just a partial tear or sprain of the MCL only.?  Yes , but sadly the odds don’t favor that. Your tibia is not supposed to slide forward and back relative to the femur. Add in Vons dismay ( a guy I have not seen without a smile even after a loss ) and it seems reasonable to make a very educated guess. This is not Romo adding his opinion. This rash of injuries is unbelievable. I don’t know how , but if the Bills overcome losing two pro bowl leaders on D ( hyde and von) , it might be their greatest coaching season in Bills history!  Mcd , Frazier, Dorsey all have to be almost perfect going forward. No time to feel sorry , it is what it is and we are back in a familiar role , UNDERDOGS! Go Bills, SOMEHOW MAKE IT HAPPEN! 

I hate that you make some great points here.  But if so many doctors agree that the video seems to indicate ACL tear, I just want to know where and how the heck Rappaport and others in media got their reports so quickly that it was a “sprain” most likely.  

27 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

I hate that you make some great points here.  But if so many doctors agree that the video seems to indicate ACL tear, I just want to know where and how the heck Rappaport and others in media got their reports so quickly that it was a “sprain” most likely.  

From someone close to the situation who in turn got their information from team doctors who have actually done preliminary examination of Vons knee and believe he has a sprain.

I’m guessing 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, NewEra said:

Pretty crazy….. we’ve been so lucky in recent years, suffering minimal injuries (minus Tre).  This year has been a debacle.  Not because of the roster.  Not because of the coaching (although the jury is still out on Dorsey).  But because of injuries.  

Not sure what games you are watching if you don’t think coaching (especially post bye week) hasn’t been a debacle.  

• Eyeroll 1

21 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Great question. I really don’t know.  Maybe they rush to get things out for clicks as it’s there JoB?  One sure thing , if someone’s paycheck depends on getting info out , they might not be able to be trusted?     It’s possible that’s all the Bills want to be leaked ?  Mcd likes keeping things close to his chest so I wouldn’t trust any info until the mri results are in. There is no real repercussion if Rap is wrong!  

Gosh , I hope it’s best case and just a sprain. One thing about Drs is they are conditioned to always look at the worst case scenario. It’s like set expectations low and then If things are good , you look better delivering great news. Worst case for a dr is to say the Mcl  is just sprained and if it’s torn , you look incompetent and it’s a good way to get sued in real life. That’s why they tell you every  possible bad thing before even the most common surgery.  Then when things go good , the surgeon looks great .  Never give false hope!  A neurosurgeon never tells or promises full recovery because any result less and you will get sued.  So it’s Juarez Dr speak , but thet are trained sports medicine guys and they spend literally years studying mechanisms of injuries. And treating those injuries. So I think they have a level if insight way beyond Rap who is only reporting what he has been told. So , honestly , it looked suspicious fir more than a sprain. But no one knows ( the field Dr probably knows as you test the laxity between the two knees. If the acl  is torn, the tibia ( lower leg) slips forward when pulled moreso than the other knee with an intact acl. )   Other than that only an mri will be  100%. The guys are just offering educated opinions based on similar experiences but they can’t know until the MRI is read.  MAYBE RAP SPOKE TO THE TEAM  ORTHO WHO DID THE FIELD EXAM AND REASSURED RAP the acl was not torn!  Just hard to fathom Rap has that type of access to the team Dr.    That would be great news. It just LOOKED  suspicious for a tear, but only an MRI is  definitive. Hope that helps. 

18 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

Great question. I really don’t know.  Maybe they rush to get things out for clicks as it’s there JoB?  One sure thing , if someone’s paycheck depends on getting info out , they might not be able to be trusted?     It’s possible that’s all the Bills want to be leaked ?  Mcd likes keeping things close to his chest so I wouldn’t trust any info until the mri results are in. There is no real repercussion if Rap is wrong!  

Gosh , I hope it’s best case and just a sprain. One thing about Drs is they are conditioned to always look at the worst case scenario. It’s like set expectations low and then If things are good , you look better delivering great news. Worst case for a dr is to say the Mcl  is just sprained and if it’s torn , you look incompetent and it’s a good way to get sued in real life. That’s why they tell you every  possible bad thing before even the most common surgery.  Then when things go good , the surgeon looks great .  Never give false hope!  A neurosurgeon never tells or promises full recovery because any result less and you will get sued.  So it’s Juarez Dr speak , but thet are trained sports medicine guys and they spend literally years studying mechanisms of injuries. And treating those injuries. So I think they have a level if insight way beyond Rap who is only reporting what he has been told. So , honestly , it looked suspicious fir more than a sprain. But no one knows ( the field Dr probably knows as you test the laxity between the two knees. If the acl  is torn, the tibia ( lower leg) slips forward when pulled moreso than the other knee with an intact acl. )   Other than that only an mri will be  100%. The guys are just offering educated opinions based on similar experiences but they can’t know until the MRI is read.  MAYBE RAP SPOKE TO THE TEAM  ORTHO WHO DID THE FIELD EXAM AND REASSURED RAP the acl was not torn!  Just hard to fathom Rap has that type of access to the team Dr.    That would be great news. It just LOOKED  suspicious for a tear, but only an MRI is  definitive. Hope that helps. 

when you reach Rappaport’s level you build your reputation on never reporting inaccurate news. However, Ian’s the same guy who reported the AB signing.  

9 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

this is different. Pretty much every talking heads knew it was a season ended for Tre. The next day just confirmed it. This isn’t being reported the way Tre’s injury was last year. 

Right it seems to me that this injury is similar to Zach Wilson in the preseason.  It looked like an ACL, it was reported the team was “cautiously optimistic” be avoided major injury and tests confirmed it.  But we’ll see

6 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

Not sure what games you are watching if you don’t think coaching (especially post bye week) hasn’t been a debacle.  

i don’t know what games your watching if you don’t think injuries aren’t by far the biggest reasons why we lost….. 2nd biggest reason would be Josh Allen throwing terrible interceptions.  

coaching hasn’t been great especially Dorsey, but I have NO DOUBT we win every game if we were healthy. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

i don’t know what games your watching if you don’t think injuries aren’t by far the biggest reasons why we lost….. 2nd biggest reason would be Josh Allen throwing terrible interceptions.  

coaching hasn’t been great especially Dorsey, but I have NO DOUBT we win every game if we were healthy. 

You do realize Allen is injured don’t you? 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

You do realize Allen is injured don’t you? 

Dolphins/Jets he wasn’t injured. 

Dolphins we lost 100% due to injuries and heat.  I’m not one to make a ton of excuses, but that is pretty clear to anyone that doesn’t root for Miami. 

Jets game was just our now typical post-bye malaise.  Injuries on defense and we looked like we could care less for most of the game. 

7 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

From a Bills source, which means he has heard what the team doctors have said.

Edited by Big Turk

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

From a Bills source, which means he has heard what the team doctors have said.

I know we all want to believe anyone that says it’s not an ACL, but for the people who say “but all these Twitter docs say…” … well, they also said Allen could need Tommy John surgery (wildly rare for QB’s) and might be done for the year.  

My brother is a physical therapist, and to him the injury screams MCL given it was a contact injury that bent his knee inward. 

My brother isn’t the end all, be all, but he correctly diagnosed Allen when Twitter docs were panic trending Tommy John on Twitter.    

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

I know we all want to believe anyone that says it’s not an ACL, but for the people who say “but all these Twitter docs say…” … well, they also said Allen could need Tommy John surgery (wildly rare for QB’s) and might be done for the year.  

My brother is a physical therapist, and to him the injury screams MCL given it was a contact injury that bent his knee inward. 

Almost nobody said that actually.

Just now, SCBills said:

Chao definitely invoked Tommy John.   

He may have not said he definitely needed it, but he, and some others, put that out into the Twitterverse. 

Most said that as an NFL QB it wasn't needed but if he was an MLB Pitcher that it likely would have been on the table.

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Most said that as an NFL QB it wasn't needed but if he was an MLB Pitcher that it likely would have been on the table.

Sure.. which was ridiculous, because that would necessitate a serious UCL injury .. which Allen clearly did not have given he was mechanically able to launch a pass two plays later. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.