Should another relocation cause the Bills to consider building a domed stadium? A Q&A with Bills COO

inthebuff

Things I believe in:

1. All elections where my candidate loses are "rigged".

2. The moon landing was faked.

3. Fluoride in our drinking water is a commie plot.

4. Trix are not just for kids.

5. I can have my cake and eat it too. 

6. A domed stadium in Buffalo is no more costly to build than an open air stadium.

• Agree 1

I have always been in the no dome camp.  But I have recently reconsidered this.  As the season expands to 18 games, it is more of a war of attrition than ever before.  It seems to be a built in disadvantage to have to spend decemeber and january playing 60% of your games in potentially brutal conditions while, your competitors are playing in comfortable conditions.  Based on the recent history of the Patriots and Dolphins, its is certainly arguable that this does not matter at all.  But I suspect having brutal condition games down the stretch does not really help. 

How would a dome handle 77” of snow? Serious question. That’s is a lot of weight. 
Also this team doesn’t use the WNY weather to it advantage anyways. I don’t think they like it anymore than the visiting team. They may as well be a dome team.

Whether it is financial or other reasons it has been decided and apparently written in stone so it is what it is. Too bad 😞

11 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Lucas oil cost $720M in 2008. In today’s dollars, that comes out to about $996M.

The open air stadium the bills are building is like $1.4B!! 

By "today's dollars" you are just talking basic time value of money, right? That's not applicable to stadium construction. The Producers Price Index (building materials/supplies) has increased from 120 in 2008 to over 200 since April 2021.

I highly doubt Lucas would be under 1 billion given today's costs. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bottom line, is that both games would have had to be moved, regardless if there was a dome or not. Simply too much snow to deal with, alongside all of the associated travel restrictions and other health and safety considerations.

I'd also say that the extra money for a dome that can cope with the amount of extra snowfall lake effects bring, isn't really good value for money, if you still aren't going to be able to play, because it causes so much disruption everywhere else.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

How would a dome handle 77” of snow? Serious question. That’s is a lot of weight. 
Also this team doesn’t use the WNY weather to it advantage anyways. I don’t think they like it anymore than the visiting team. They may as well be a dome team.

Whether it is financial or other reasons it has been decided and apparently written in stone so it is what it is. Too bad 😞

Just fine with the roof constructions they have today, Minnesota is a great comparison, they used a material called ETFE, translucent and super slick. Check it out,  I read about it last week during the storm when this topic came up, pretty cool. 

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a19066/minnesota-viking-football-stadium-roof/

landscape-1453396550-vike-1.jpg

1 minute ago, ArtVandalay said:

By "today's dollars" you are just talking basic time value of money, right? That's not applicable to stadium construction. The Producers Price Index (building materials/supplies) has increased from 120 in 2008 to over 200 since April 2021.

I highly doubt Lucas would be under 1 billion given today's costs. 

yeah, I am talking about just time value of money. That said, cost wise, I have to think even with increased construction costs, Lucas would have to be in the ballpark of the price tag the Bills are paying for their open air stadium.  (Also, the PPI seems to reflect the recent radical inflation— would have to think those numbers decrease as the unnatural spike in inflation settles down).

11 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Just fine with the roof constructions they have today, Minnesota is a great comparison, they used a material called ETFE, translucent and super slick. Check it out,  I read about it last week during the storm when this topic came up, pretty cool. 

https://www.popularmechanics.com/adventure/sports/a19066/minnesota-viking-football-stadium-roof/

landscape-1453396550-vike-1.jpg

That stadium is remarkably well done. Did not feel like a dome because there was so much light and it had large open concourses. 

I just can’t see a dome for multi-purposes in OP; too far away from hotels, restaurants and bars that you would need to draw people to big events.  And the cost to rebuild the infrastructure downtown to make it feasible there would not justify the cost. 

You might get a higher level NCAA tournament round there every few years, and maybe a big concert every few years, but there are no regular events big enough to justify the cost of putting a dome downtown, in my opinion. The Sabres would have to play there to make it worth keeping open all winter. 

There, I think I have settled the matter for all of us and we can all move on now.  No more dome talk. 

Edited by WotAGuy

1 minute ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

yeah, I am talking about just time value of money. That said, cost wise, I have to think even with increased construction costs, Lucas would have to be in the ballpark of the price tag the Bills are paying for their open air stadium.  (Also, the PPI seems to reflect the recent radical inflation— would have to think those numbers decrease as the unnatural spike in inflation settles down).

Oh I agree I don't think cost was an issue deciding between the two, especially when you consider all the additional accommodations that winter weather and snow removal cause for the outdoor construction and i would totally believe the done could be cheaper at the end of the day as a result, but at least similar in price. 

The PPI will drop but it's been over 200 since April 2021, and we are building now and in immediate future. Inflation is here to stay for the next 12-18 months at minimum. Expect the FOMC to push to the Fed Rate to 6.00 next year,  we'll see how high they need to go to make it happen.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.