Should another relocation cause the Bills to consider building a domed stadium? A Q&A with Bills COO

inthebuff

TL;DR - Bills COO says no to the Dome and discusses many of the issues related to moving the Bills home game to Detroit because of the big snow event.

Paging Mods...if this should be merged into the Stadium thread, please do so.

From The Athletic (paywall)

Tim Graham

Nov 22, 2022

DETROIT — For the second time in eight years, the Buffalo Bills needed to escape a harsh Western New York snowstorm for cozier confines in, of all locales, Ford Field.

This isn’t the type of winter destination that insists visitors pack sunblock and flip-flops, but Ford Field offers shelter not found in Western New York or other Rust Belt markets.

As such, the Motor City is a beacon for desperate NFL wayfarers.

Edit: SDS

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inthebuff said:

TL;DR - Bills COO says no to the Dome and discusses many of the issues related to moving the Bills home game to Detroit because of the big snow event.

Tim Graham

Nov 22, 2022

DETROIT — For the second time in eight years, the Buffalo Bills needed to escape a harsh Western New York snowstorm for cozier confines in, of all locales, Ford Field.

This isn’t the type of winter destination that insists visitors pack sunblock and flip-flops, but Ford Field offers shelter not found in Western New York or other Rust Belt markets.

do you ever see full articles posted here?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

Setting aside the obvious reason of a dome giving our team a major advantage, I just don’t understand the ROI of an open-air stadium.

they could build a stadium similar to Lucas Oil for not much more than they are spending now, and could be in the running for all sorts of other major sporting events (even the Super Bowl), and use it for a host of other events. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Setting aside the obvious reason of a dome giving our team a major advantage, I just don’t understand the ROI of an open-air stadium.

they could build a stadium similar to Lucas Oil for not much more than they are spending now, and could be in the running for all sorts of other major sporting events (even the Super Bowl), and use it for a host of other events. 

I'm with you on the dome. Unfortunately Buffalo isn't likely to host a Super Bowl anytime soon. The city does not meet the requirements for hotels and other accomodations. But besides that, yeah, a dome would mean concerts and other shows year round if they'd want. And they can still play outside, just make it a retractable one. 

It's a bummer they don't go with the dome over this odd sense of tradition with weather games. In reality, they get one big snow game once every few seasons. Then there are the super windy games which don't really give an advantage to any team. And then the freezing ones which just make all the contact and the hits hurt even more. Just seems silly to me. Could keep it open in September and October and close it for November thru January. 

Edited by blacklabel
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

They should build a dome regardless of last week's moved game or any future game that needs to be moved.

As long as it covers the entire WNY area since people would still need to be able to drive to stadium.

Neither game would have been held if there was a dome.  There was a driving ban good part of time up to game,

No surprise article is from Tim Graham Cracker.

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, inthebuff said:

Tim Graham

Nov 22, 2022

Once again, a having a dome makes no difference if we have a crippling snow storm where no fans, staff, law enforcement, etc… can even get there. 

• Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

FULL STOP

I have never read this before.  Are you telling me a dome is in the similar ballpark of cost as an open air one? No Brainer i think a domed stadium in WNY would be awesome! I just always heard a dome would be waayyy more expensive Hence Plan B as what we see rendered today

Whoa.

Edited by muppy

Frankly, I would love it if the Bills had a dome.  I think a dome fits the kind of high octane passing offense the Bills like to run with Josh Allen pulling the trigger.  On the other hand it's not a decision that can be made only taking into account fans and football.  There are a whole bunch of people in NY State, particularly down state, who think Buffalo should not have gotten a penny of state money to build a new stadium.  The political climate would not have stood for Buffalo getting a dome.  I think that is the reality of the situation.

• Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, muppy said:

FULL STOP

I have never read this before.  Are you telling me a dome is in the similar ballpark of cost as an open air one? No Brainer i think a domed stadium in WNY would be awesome! I just always heard a dome would be waayyy more expensive Hence Plan B as what we see rendered today

Whoa.

Lucas oil cost $720M in 2008. In today’s dollars, that comes out to about $996M.

The open air stadium the bills are building is like $1.4B!! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.