Jets bench Zach Wilson

Big Turk

Looks like Zach isn't going anywhere.

(1) Optimistic Jets on Twitter: "Michael Kay on @TMKSESPN “I was told by someone close to ownership that Zach Wilson is definitely coming back next year.” Kay adds that #Jets owner Woody Johnson and Zach Wilson’s family have a close relationship which could be why Wilson remains on the team https://t.co/0luTlNOToc" / Twitter

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Greg S said:

(1) Optimistic Jets on Twitter: "Michael Kay on @TMKSESPN “I was told by someone close to ownership that Zach Wilson is definitely coming back next year.” Kay adds that #Jets owner Woody Johnson and Zach Wilson’s family have a close relationship which could be why Wilson remains on the team https://t.co/0luTlNOToc" / Twitter

Excellent news. 

9 hours ago, Greg S said:

I really don't understand why the Ravens haven't signed him yet. I get that he has been hurt this year but prior to that he wins. He flat out wins games for them.

I know there's not alot out there to choose from, but I'd be hesitant of giving Lamar big money. Since he won the MVP, statistically his passing has fallen off a cliff and you have to start wondering can he make it through a whole season.

He's played 2 full games in Dec/Jan in the last 2 seasons and was injured very early in 2 others. Both years the Ravens were leading their division when he went down. He can’t help you win a Super Bowl if he's missing the last 4 games of the year and almost another complete game, like the last 2 years. His December & January in 2021 & 2022 are almost identical.

Is this just coincidence or is his body already breaking down due to all his running and/or workload? When I think of what my franchise QB is going to give me at the end of the season to try and win a title, I don't envision 693 total yards 2 tds & 1 int total in our last 12 Dec/Jan games. 

His passing stats over the last 2 seasons ~210 yards per game  33 tds.  20 ints. 

Is that a $45-$50 million a year QB?

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

If Woody and WIlson's family are so close, why isn't Wilson playing ? 

2 hours ago, Greg S said:

English translation:  Wilson's contract is not tradeable and Woody Johnson has too close a relationship with his money to pay a guy to be on another team's roster.  Plus he likes looking at the hot Mrs. Wilson at games.  

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/26/2022 at 12:38 PM, Beck Water said:

What I keep seeing in my mind's eye, is the day-and-night difference between the OL play when Wilson was under center, vs. that CFL dude - Streveler.

The OL was literally getting pushed back into Wilson's lap on every snap when he was behind center.  Streveler came in, and part of it was he got the ball out quickly and ran himself so the Jags adjusted how they were defending - but there were snaps when he had time back there.

It just highlights to me how much of the game in the trenches is actually mental.  The OL has to believe that if they strain every sinew and use every last gasp of muscle they have, the QB behind them will do Good Things.

I hear what you are saying, but honestly I don’t think that had anything to do with the OL of the Jets changing with a guy they believed in or even a guy that made plays, but was essentially a complete shift in the Jags DL.

Streverler’s first drive - the DL was crashing in just like they did to Wilson, but Streverler escaped the pocket a couple of times and also had a designed run and then the Jags switched up.  They stopped rushing to a spot like they were for Wilson and rushed to contain and keep him in the pocket.  They also stopped bringing extra pressure and played a spy defense.  They were significantly less concerned about the passing game and getting pressure and more concerned with the QB running - so they stopped rushing.

He did make a few nice throws, but it was obvious that he completely lacks the arm strength to play NFL ball.  One pass was like 15-20 yards short and if he had gotten it out there it was a huge play.  

On 1/9/2023 at 1:04 AM, chongli said:

He should be sorry - terrible job coaching and getting nothing out of the year.

He played a QB the entire game that was terrible (although none of them were good) - he should of started to switch things around to try and spark the team - they needed a frickin FG at some point - even if you stick the 3rd string guy in and let him run - you get more than from Flacco.

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/6/2023 at 9:30 AM, Captain Hindsight said:

They only had 15 all season! 

Steelers only have 11 and they could be in the playoffs. Incredible 

No one gives Tomlin the proper credit he deserves for being a great coach. If Watt doesn’t get hurt, they make the playoffs with some of the worst qb play in the nfl. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.