Jets bench Zach Wilson

Big Turk

35 minutes ago, LondonBill said:

I didn't know that. Says a lot about Lawrence tbh

Does it say a lot about Lawrence, or does it say a lot about the Jets?  I am not at all being antagonistic, I don't know if I would fault a player for not wanting to go to a team where he didn't want to be.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Does it say a lot about Lawrence, or does it say a lot about the Jets?  I am not at all being antagonistic, I don't know if I would fault a player for not wanting to go to a team where he didn't want to be.

I know what you are saying. But i bet if the choice was the Jets or no NFL at all, he'd choose the Jets.

The whole draft system depends on a 'degree' of honour. Otherwise you could end up with something like we have with soccer over here and players just wanting to go to the best sides and the game being inherently unfair. I know it can't quite come to that. But the spirit should be that you go where you are drafted. In the same vein, tanking for better draft options is also against the spirit of the gam - I reckon any team that finishes winless should get a maximum 5th first round pick, so there is no reward for throwing games. 

I know I'm sort of talking garbage here. But do you know what I mean? Playing in that Jets side - with the way it's shaping up - is hardly like being sent to devil's island. 

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, LondonBill said:

I know what you are saying. But i bet if the choice was the Jets or no NFL at all, he'd choose the Jets.

The whole draft system depends on a 'degree' of honour. Otherwise you could end up with something like we have with soccer over here and players just wanting to go to the best sides and the game being inherently unfair. I know it can't quite come to that. But the spirit should be that you go where you are drafted. In the same vein, tanking for better draft options is also against the spirit of the gam - I reckon any team that finishes winless should get a maximum 5th first round pick, so there is no reward for throwing games. 

I know I'm sort of talking garbage here. But do you know what I mean? Playing in that Jets side - with the way it's shaping up - is hardly like being sent to devil's island. 

Reading Lawrence's remarks from an October 2020 interview in Sports Illustrated, he seemed fully aware of the interest that the Jets had in him, yet didn't dismiss playing for them.  He seemed to be laying out options, one of which was returning to university.

'Trevor Lawrence Open to Forgoing 2021 NFL Draft, Returning to Clemson for Senior Season' by Jenna West.  October 20, 2020. si.com

6 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I agree, what young QB would want to be drafted by the jets or some other team that is a constant disaster, can’t blame them at all, it certainly sucks if your favorite team is one of those teams, we as bills fans have been there. 

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

No QB taken in the top 2 since the common draft has ever not made it to season 3 with the team that drafted him.  

That would make Wilson a bigger bust than Ryan Leaf or Jamarcus Russell.  

Now if the Jets can get someone to trade for him & his guaranteed contract, Douglas would be close Beane-like wizardry if he wasn't the fool who drafted Wilson in the 1st place.  

On 12/24/2022 at 7:54 PM, zow2 said:

Sounds like it’s goodbye Zach from the AFC East.  Nice knowing ya.

What a waste of money he bought all those O linemen fancy electric scooters then crapped the bed again on Thursday night.

What I keep seeing in my mind's eye, is the day-and-night difference between the OL play when Wilson was under center, vs. that CFL dude - Streveler.

The OL was literally getting pushed back into Wilson's lap on every snap when he was behind center.  Streveler came in, and part of it was he got the ball out quickly and ran himself so the Jags adjusted how they were defending - but there were snaps when he had time back there.

It just highlights to me how much of the game in the trenches is actually mental.  The OL has to believe that if they strain every sinew and use every last gasp of muscle they have, the QB behind them will do Good Things.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.