Jets bench Zach Wilson

Big Turk

11 minutes ago, Greg S said:

What if the Packers want to move on from Rodgers. They might be ready to go with Jordan Love. Could you imagine the media hype in the NYC area if the Jets were to try and get Rodgers. Jets have the team they just need the QB.

Rodgers and the ny media would be awesome theater. I just want the jets in QB purgatory. Hope Wilson looks good this week so they contemplate giving him more time. He just might against the lions. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I guess that when you get folded like a suitcase one week, you probably shouldn’t play football the next week. Still amazed that he came back on the field after that hit from Milano.

It's not a great look that he went back out into the game but isn't able to play in the following week.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I think the problems with the Jets this year are two-fold:  the team improved at a much faster pace than the QB and the QB lost the locker room. My guess is losing the locker room started last year but culminated with his atrocious game against the Pats and even worse his post-game press conference. At the point he was benched he was 5-2 with wins against the Bills and Dolphins and the losses to the Pats. I doubt the benching had anything to do with their remaining schedule.

I'm also curious why you think the Jets needs to properly evaluate  Garrett Wilson. Do you think they plan to move on from him after this year? If there's anyone that needs to be evaluated more it's Zach.

It's a safe bet Wilson is a legit NFL WR, possibly even a star. What I meant was more in term of his development along with the rest of the Jets skill players who weren't being properly evaluated this year because of poor QB play.

Unfortunately this was a problem the Bills had to deal with the greater part of 17 years prior to JA17, either having decent talent on the roster everywhere but QB. Or not being able to evaluate players because QB play was so bad.

Getting back to the jets though, it's why I still think Mike White is a red herring either way. Even if he comes back next week and continues to put up numbers and play fairly well, they are still likely going to swing for the fences in FA or trade for a veteran (i.e. Aaron Rogers if available) because they likely believe they have enough talent on the roster to compete for the division and beyond next year. They were certainly in the conversation up until the last few weeks.

3 hours ago, Greg S said:

Here is what this Jets fan posted about our "dirty" Bills.

"Watched the compressed game yesterday.  NFL+ if you guys get it over in 45 minutes."

Glad I don't need to "get it over in 45 minutes" when I'm watching my team play.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

The Jets are a good roster. Saleh seems to have improved that franchise. But I think they really botched the handling of this. I don't see how they aren't forced to try and get Wilson off the roster at this point. 

I mean, you might say starting him could be the best way to get him off the roster...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

I wouldn't bet on it either. If the Jets think they are a QB away from being a legit post-season team and that Zach is what's holding them back it wouldn't surprise me at all if they move on. Although in that case I do think they'd aim higher than Heinicke.

I don't want to overstate it but I think Sunday is a very big game for Zach. If he starts out slow he will get torched by the fans in attendance. If he plays well and delivers a win he might be able to change the negative narrative.

I just cannot see Zach Wilson's cap number being an obstacle if he keeps losing... I was thinking of someone they could price out decently instead of like a Rodgers, who would hinder them and would probably not be worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He threw for over 400 yards in his first start and beat the Bengals, who were a pretty good team last year. Hes a pretty good QB and a hell of a lot better than Wilson right now

Then he got obliterated by the Bills. It’s pretty easy to shock a team when there is no tape on a quarterback. There is tape on him now. He may progress in time, but it’s just as likely that he has pretty much reached the level of his own incompetence.

Edited by JDubya76

9 hours ago, Golden*Wheels said:

Tough as nails, but even as a guy who hates the Jets, I felt they were really pushing it ethics-wise when he came back the 2nd time. Dude is lucky he still had a spleen.

I'm sure it's what White wanted to do, but IMHO if a guy has to rush off the field to hop into an ambulance and go to the ER, he quite possibly should just Do It and not play the rest of the game first.

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

White has fractured ribs and went to 10 doctors to try and get cleared to play and none of them would do it.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/mike-white-fractured-rib-spoke-183957026.html

10 honest doctors I guess!

Edited by Beck Water
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, JDubya76 said:

Then he got obliterated by the Bills. It’s pretty easy to shock a team when there is no tape on a quarterback. There is tape on him now. He may progress in time, but it’s just as likely that he has pretty much reached the level of his own incompetence.

I thought he was playing pretty well last week before Oliver and Milano made his acquaintance - on a bad weather day he threw for 268 yards. "Reached the level of his own incompetence" feels like a reach to me. While I get your point about what the Bills did to him after his historic game against Cincy,  I just don't get the rush to judgement - it's the easiest thing in the world to predict an NFL QB will never make it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.