Jets bench Zach Wilson

Big Turk

Still think this whole Mike White thing is silly. Yes he's shown some grit and toughness but at the end of the day it's about winning games in this league and he's something like 1-6 as a starter, with that only win coming against a terrible Bears team with a depleted roster a few weeks back. His ceiling in this league is likely a poor mans Ryan Fitzpatrick which isn't saying much and it shows the desperation of the Jets organization they put him back in the game against the Bills and were trying to force him in the lineup this week.

Also don't matter who starts this week anyway because Lions have the look of a grimy team that is going to win out and make a serious run in the playoffs which also makes the Bills win against them on Thanksgiving much better in hindsight considering they just squeak by and pulled it out in the final minutes.

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, Bleedingreennc said:

Great, and im going to this game. Zach will be 10-28 120 yards 0 TD 3 INts. Just wonderful.

The problem is that he lacks the confidence of his teammates... he will press, make mistakes, press more and it will be an avalanche. I don't see how he ever starts another game after this one... Garrett Wilson is going to go nuclear if he performs as badly as we all expect.

The Lions are no joke...

8 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Still think this whole Mike White thing is silly. Yes he's shown some grit and toughness but at the end of the day it's about winning games in this league and he's something like 1-6 as a starter, with that only win coming against a terrible Bears team with a depleted roster a few weeks back. His ceiling in this league is likely a poor mans Ryan Fitzpatrick which isn't saying much and it shows the desperation of the Jets organization they put him back in the game against the Bills and were trying to force him in the lineup this week.

They don't have a choice. Next season, they either have to go full press in free agency or choose one of the many project QBs in the draft.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Also don't matter who starts this week anyway because Lions have the look of a grimy team that is going to win out and make a serious run in the playoffs which also makes the Bills win against them on Thanksgiving much better in hindsight considering they just squeak by and pulled it out in the final minutes.

He threw for over 400 yards in his first start and beat the Bengals, who were a pretty good team last year. Hes a pretty good QB and a hell of a lot better than Wilson right now

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The problem is that he lacks the confidence of his teammates... he will press, make mistakes, press more and it will be an avalanche. I don't see how he ever starts another game after this one... Garrett Wilson is going to go nuclear if he performs as badly as we all expect.

The Lions are no joke...

They don't have a choice. Next season, they either have to go full press in free agency or choose one of the many project QBs in the draft.

It was pretty obvious that after getting swept by the patriots and losing on a kick return in the final second Saleh benching Wilson was more of a a classic knee jerk reaction knowing the remaining schedule was absolutely brutal and wanted to keep team competitive and properly evaluate some of the young players on offense like Garrett Wilson.

In fact if the Jets lose this week against the Lions which is expected, there's a good chance they don't win another game the rest of the way with another red hot Jags team on deck on TNF (short week) and then finishing up on the road against the Seahawks and Dolphins. Either way I've said all along they are frauds and not a playoff team this year. They overachieved early with culminating in their SB win against the Bills with Wilson starting that game anyway.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

He threw for over 400 yards in his first start and beat the Bengals, who were a pretty good team last year. Hes a pretty good QB and a hell of a lot better than Wilson right now

Forgot about that game but still don't agree about him being any good because so far his body of work reads exactly like Fitzpatrick. (i.e. puts up stat padding type of numbers but doesn't win most games and/or make plays when it matters).

I'm sure the Jets will plan on starting him next year with a full offseason of work, regardless of whether Wilson sucks and/or they draft another QB but confident his career in this league as a starter will be short lived. I'd definitely take him as a backup though.

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

This really seems to be in his best interest. I can’t believe he kept trying to play last week. 

Yeah I'm surprised the Jets let him continue even if x-rays didn't show a break.  How could they determine internal injuries in 10 mins?  I'm sure that will be looked at. In hindsight seems pretty irresponsible to put the guy back in the game even though I'm sure White wanted to go back in.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

Over at Jet Nation one Jets fan started a thread called "Buffalo is a dirty team". To other Jets fans credit they disagree with him although everyone thought the hit on Garrett Wilson should have been an unnecessary roughness penalty. I am surprised it wasn't called either. It looked like he was 2 yards out of bounds when he got hit. Here is what this Jets fan posted about our "dirty" Bills.

Watched the compressed game yesterday.  NFL+ if you guys get it over in 45 minutes.   In any case in that amount if time I couldn’t help but notice the way the Bills played that game.  Blasting Garrett Wilson out of bounds.  On the okay Corey Davis was injured it looked relatively benign and I thought this guy is so soft.  Then I looked again and while he was on the ground he was hit right in the head with the usual no penalty flag.   Then the Bills linebacker clearly launching himself like a missile into the ribs of our unprotected QB.  Not to mention numerous instances where the Bills demonstrated a new way of tackling:  lifting an often engaged player up by his legs in a way that leaves him vulnerable to injury.   There were often cases were they just missed a hit but you could see the intent was to launch at our guys including the incomplete to Berrios where he may have been in the hospital had he made that catch.   Not sure if this is how they are being trained to play but the fact that they were not flagged for any roughing or late hit penalties is a concern and reinforces that their way is working.  I hope our CS and FO are showing some of this to the league because it’s ridiculous and should not be tolerated in this day and age. 

I wonder if this kind soul realized that he was watching a football game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

It was pretty obvious that after getting swept by the patriots and losing on a kick return in the final second Saleh benching Wilson was more of a a classic knee jerk reaction knowing the remaining schedule was absolutely brutal and wanted to keep team competitive and properly evaluate some of the young players on offense like Garrett Wilson.

In fact if the Jets lose this week against the Lions which is expected, there's a good chance they don't win another game the rest of the way with another red hot Jags team on deck on TNF (short week) and then finishing up on the road against the Seahawks and Dolphins. Either way I've said all along they are frauds and not a playoff team this year. They overachieved early with culminating in their SB win against the Bills with Wilson starting that game anyway.

I think the problems with the Jets this year are two-fold:  the team improved at a much faster pace than the QB and the QB lost the locker room. My guess is losing the locker room started last year but culminated with his atrocious game against the Pats and even worse his post-game press conference. At the point he was benched he was 5-2 with wins against the Bills and Dolphins and the losses to the Pats. I doubt the benching had anything to do with their remaining schedule.

I'm also curious why you think the Jets needs to properly evaluate  Garrett Wilson. Do you think they plan to move on from him after this year? If there's anyone that needs to be evaluated more it's Zach.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

They're not going to go after another QB for 2023.  They're married to Wilson whether they like it or not. They have to give him a 3rd year.  The question is how much will it take to re-sign White, who will be a free agent.  Most likely the Jets will ride into 2023 with Wilson & White and make a QB decision after 2023, not before.  

The Bills beat the crap out of him more than I thought.

(1) Zack Rosenblatt on Twitter: "Mike White said it didn’t come up initially on the X-Ray but his ribs are fractured. They’ll get scans next week and then “go from there”. Knows it will be more challenging to come back on a short week. #Jets" / Twitter

39 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

They're not going to go after another QB for 2023.  They're married to Wilson whether they like it or not. They have to give him a 3rd year.  The question is how much will it take to re-sign White, who will be a free agent.  Most likely the Jets will ride into 2023 with Wilson & White and make a QB decision after 2023, not before.  

I wouldn't bet on it... Taylor Heinicke will be a FA and he's the kind of QB that the Jets could get for a value price AND McLaurin will talk to Garrett Wilson if the Commanders don't sign him back because Heinicke is not afraid to press the field and is pretty solid.

There are options out there for them and if the team does not trust him at all, they would be insane to let his cap number get in the way... it's a rookie deal after all...

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

I was texting with a buddy of mine in NJ today. I thought it was weird to go back to Wilson since they don't even dress him to avoid playing. 

His response was that it made sense, that way Wilson doesn't get bogged down with studying film and can just work on fundamentals. I was like "Dude, you do know that the 3rd string QB gets almost no reps during the week. They aren't letting him work on anything". 

The Jets are a good roster. Saleh seems to have improved that franchise. But I think they really botched the handling of this. I don't see how they aren't forced to try and get Wilson off the roster at this point. 

7 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I wouldn't bet on it... Taylor Heinicke will be a FA and he's the kind of QB that the Jets could get for a value price AND McLaurin will talk to Garrett Wilson if the Commanders don't sign him back because Heinicke is not afraid to press the field and is pretty solid.

There are options out there for them and if the team does not trust him at all, they would be insane to let his cap number get in the way... it's a rookie deal after all...

What if the Packers want to move on from Rodgers. They might be ready to go with Jordan Love. Could you imagine the media hype in the NYC area if the Jets were to try and get Rodgers. Jets have the team they just need the QB.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I wouldn't bet on it either. If the Jets think they are a QB away from being a legit post-season team and that Zach is what's holding them back it wouldn't surprise me at all if they move on. Although in that case I do think they'd aim higher than Heinicke.

I don't want to overstate it but I think Sunday is a very big game for Zach. If he starts out slow he will get torched by the fans in attendance. If he plays well and delivers a win he might be able to change the negative narrative.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Apparently my eyeballs are able to do a CT scan. Did anyone really think the guy didn’t break his ribs? I thought his lung was punctured. He got bent in half and could not breathe  then got lit up over and over in the same area. and the jets are like “corpse Mike better than  corpse Flacco. Let him go”

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.