Jets bench Zach Wilson

Big Turk

20 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

So that actual video from Saleh sounds  a lot different from the Twitter quote from Connor Hughes. OK same words, but huge difference in tone

Yes different but still funny.  I found the clip after the fact of my post.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

He’s an entitled little brat. He always gave me Jimmy Clausen vibes. Dude is worse than EJ and JP with a pretty good team around him. If the Jets found a real qb, they would be really tough. 

I hate trashing young qbs but he has no leadership qualities. What I love about Josh is how he owns if after losses and his worst game this year is better than Zach’s best. 

is Flacco hurt? Because white ain’t the answer either.

50 minutes ago, Malazan said:

I'd suggest actually watching them play. 

I mean, to be fair, against the Bills Wilson looked like a legit NFL QB.

46 minutes ago, LeviF said:

As opposed to what, posting counting stats?

You people are out of line.

:flirt:  You said "Zach Wilson is better, it's not even a debate".  Since the point of this board is discussion and debate, a preemptive strike to cut off debate seems out of line by some measures.

Pragmatically, if some people watched them play and thought it was debatable, and there are objective metrics (like stats) that seem to support some debate, perhaps it is, in fact, debatable.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

:flirt:  You said "Zach Wilson is better, it's not even a debate".  Since the point of this board is discussion and debate, a preemptive strike to cut off debate seems out of line by some measures.

Pragmatically, if some people watched them play and thought it was debatable, and there are objective metrics (like stats) that seem to support some debate, perhaps it is, in fact, debatable.

To be fair, just about every QB in the NFL has looked good in at least one game.  Its not like Wilson lit us on fire for 400 yards or something.

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He had 154 yards and averaged 6.2 ypa and that was arguably his best start this year. He is throwing to a bunch of 1st and 2nd rounders and has a top 10ish defense.

2 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I don’t get it. He’s your guy, let him play out a couple full seasons, then make a decision on his future during the offseason. This is a different scenario if you’re replacing a struggling veteran QB with someone of equal skill. Everyone knows that Mike White or Joe Flacco aren’t going to play much better. I don’t see any of these QB’s giving the Jets a greater chance to win than the next guy. It seems more like disciplinary action for Wilson acting like a punk, which the team knew when they drafted him. 

I don't think it's disciplinary, I think Saleh was in danger of losing the team if he stuck with Zach after the Pats game and Zach's post-game comments. 

Plus, can you imagine if Zach got off to a slow start on Sunday? He would have been eaten alive by the home crowd.  I don't think they should give up on him, but he needs a timeout. My guess is he'll be back after the jets get another look at White and/or Flacco.  

4 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

Seems once a QB is benched, they never come back to be a success. I'm sure there are exceptions, but not many

I can think of a few. Craig Morton got benched for Roger Staubach.  Craig went on to lead the Broncos to the Super Bowl.

Kurt Warner was benched a couple of times and went on to lead the Cardinals to the Super Bowl.

Matt Hasselbeck was benched for Trent Dilfer and went on to take Seahawks to Super Bowl.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s an entitled little brat. He always gave me Jimmy Clausen vibes. Dude is worse than EJ and JP with a pretty good team around him. If the Jets found a real qb, they would be really tough. 

I hate trashing young qbs but he has no leadership qualities. What I love about Josh is how he owns if after losses and his worst game this year is better than Zach’s best. 

is Flacco hurt? Because white ain’t the answer either.

People made a big deal of him answering no when asked about letting the D down in the press conference but I saw his whole presser and the thing that struck me more was how business like he was about the whole thing.

The guy had just helped generate something like 2 yards of offense in a whole half and he didn't seem embarrassed or even slightly disgusted. When you see how Josh looks after a loss and how he takes 99% of the blame and puts it on his own shoulders, sure he's making sure to be the leader but he genuinely looks like he wants to puke. 

Wilson to me just looked a bit nonchalant. Maybe that's just the way he deals with it but you can see why fans and even his own team mates would be pissed

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, JohnNord said:

This is such an odd decision… if you were going to bench your young QB for struggling in the midst of a playoff run, wouldn’t you replace with your capable backup QB (Flacco) rather than with a QB with less experience (White)

Flacco seems to be such a better choice

I think White is probably more liked by the offensive players. I remember seeing him against Cincy last season and you can tell he's one of the guys, a baller who will get his teammates fired up. Zach Wilson looks so passive when he's in there it's like he's so busy going over all the steps he has to take in his own head so as to not completely ***** up the next play that he's not able to actually communicate with his guys. And he never seems to get fired up. From the Jets games I saw it was almost like he was putting his own offense to sleep

Edited by RobbRiddick

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Yep.  Holy crap.  From starter to 3rd string ... just like that.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35091901/sources-jets-players-told-qb-zach-wilson-start-sunday

"Zach's career here is not over," Saleh said. "I know that's going to be the narrative and I know that's what everybody wants to shout out, but that's not even close to the case. The full intent is to make sure Zach gets back on the football field this season. When that is, I'll make that decision. I'll take it day-to-day." (sound familiar???)

Yeah, that's a classic case of someone covering his a*s. So if White and/or Flacco play like crap he can throw Wilson back in and then say it was the plan all along

12 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

People made a big deal of him answering no when asked about letting the D down in the press conference but I saw his whole presser and the thing that struck me more was how business like he was about the whole thing.

The guy had just helped generate something like 2 yards of offense in a whole half and he didn't seem embarrassed or even slightly disgusted. When you see how Josh looks after a loss and how he takes 99% of the blame and puts it on his own shoulders, sure he's making sure to be the leader but he genuinely looks like he wants to puke. 

Wilson to me just looked a bit nonchalant. Maybe that's just the way he deals with it but you can see why fans and even his own team mates would be pissed

To me it seemed like it didn’t really bother him. Which is a whole problem in itself. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.