Jets bench Zach Wilson

Big Turk

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Apparently he didn't look great when he played earlier in the year...put up better numbers but didn't look amazing.

The last few times I’ve watched Joe Flacco since he’s been a backup, he’s barely capable of even moving the chains on offense. I don’t think people comprehend how big of a fall Flacco’s career has seen. He was never “elite”, but occasionally found his way into that conversation. Here’s a Super Bowl winning QB, once considered a good player, now he’s a third string QB. That doesn’t happen unless everyone knows you’re washed up. Think of all the chances someone like Matt Ryan has been given over the years. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Wow...Saleh must be taking the temperature of the locker room there...

No starter announced yet but Mike White has moved ahead of Flacco on depth chart.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/11/23/jets-bench-zach-wilson/amp/

I agree. This has to be locker room driven. Wilson is a bad QB, but White and Flacco are worse.

2 minutes ago, zow2 said:

Wilson will be in street clothes for this week's game.  He's inactive.

Yep.  Holy crap.  From starter to 3rd string ... just like that.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/35091901/sources-jets-players-told-qb-zach-wilson-start-sunday

"Zach's career here is not over," Saleh said. "I know that's going to be the narrative and I know that's what everybody wants to shout out, but that's not even close to the case. The full intent is to make sure Zach gets back on the football field this season. When that is, I'll make that decision. I'll take it day-to-day." (sound familiar???)

14 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Jest gonna Jest.  "If you listen to the fans in the stands, you'll be joining them" - Marvcus Levy.

I don't think it's a "listen to the fans" thing.  I think Wilson totally pissed off the defense with his responses in the post-game presser, especially if they reflect his demeanor in the locker room. 

I know if I were part of a defense that just held the Patriots to 3 points and lost on a stupid decision to punt down the middle of the field, I would want my QB to respond to a question "do you feel you let the defense down?" about 100 different ways other than "No.  No."  If Wilson honestly feels he played his ass off and the WR and OL and play design totally let him down, there are plenty of better responses - he can say something like "We lost.  It sucks.  Any time you put up less points than the other team, the offense needs to play better and that starts with me".

Very canned and not particularly personally accountable, but better than "No.  No."

I'm just weirded out at how good the Bills managed to make Wilson look against us. 

• Like (+1) 2

I still think Fields has the best chance to succeed from that draft class. I never liked Lawrence and Fields has gotten a bit better but still has a long way to go. Bears have very little talent around him. Wilson was hot garbage before he was drafted. The rest of the Jets roster is somewhat competent.  White is a terrible QB too. 

Benching Wilson at this point means he has to be replaced next year. There is no going back from this for the organization. 

36 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Apparently he didn't look great when he played earlier in the year...put up better numbers but didn't look amazing.

Accept he looked poised and confident vs. the Bills....  Just saying.....  

Were the Bills so scared of his passing that they defended the pass, allowing the Jets run for 175, and still allowed him to complete 72% of passes (mostly underneath)?

Edited by Billsfan1972

13 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I still think Fields has the best chance to succeed from that draft class. I never liked Lawrence and Fields has gotten a bit better but still has a long way to go. Bears have very little talent around him. Wilson was hot garbage before he was drafted. The rest of the Jets roster is somewhat competent.  White is a terrible QB too. 

Benching Wilson at this point means he has to be replaced next year. There is no going back from this for the organization. 

Salah appears to disagree with you, so, we'll see.

This smells like a desperation move by the Jets knowing they are facing an uphill battle the rest of the season with some very tough games left on the road against Bills/Vikings/Dolphins/Seahawks. Even with marginal improvement with QB play I have a hard time seeing them going 1-3 at best in these games.

But at the end of the day it's still pretty depressing we lost to this team with Wilson playing QB and will likely be the game that haunts this team down the road if they were to finish a game behind KC in the final standings.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.