Micah Hyde leaves the door open to returning this season, per Joe Buscaglia

Logic

9 hours ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Has anyone asked why this wasn't caught and dealt with after last season? If he has been having pain for a long time why did they not deal with it last January??

You give doctors too much credit.  They are just using best judgment as none of this stuff is studied in elite athletes returning to NFL...Case in point Mr. Eichel

Provided that he did not have the disc replacement surgery that Eichel had, the fusion surgery is indeed well studied with a return to the NFL.  

7 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

If he does come back, his duties is just to tip or intercept the ball. Don't let him tackle and let the other guys do that.

May as well stay on the IR in that case.

3 minutes ago, TBBills Fan said:

Of he can make it back for some or all the playoffs that would be awesome. 

It's something JJ Watt has done.... and he did have impact

However only if he's healthy.  No reason to mess your life up

against us in the 2019 playoffs, if I remember correctly?

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, Logic said:

https://theathletic.com/3925801/2022/11/23/bills-thoughts-thanksgiving-lions/

1. Micah Hyde leaves the door open to returning this season

When Bills star safety Micah Hyde injured his neck in the first month of the season, the initial thought was that his season was over. Hyde and his teammates used the #23in23 hashtag, alluding to the safety’s number and his return for the 2023 season. Hyde successfully underwent a neck procedure that has helped solve the pain he had been dealing with for a long time and returned to Orchard Park nearly a month ago to be with the franchise. It’s long been a foregone conclusion that his year was over, but some recent activity has been, at the very least, interesting.

Ahead of the Bills’ game against the Browns on Sunday, Hyde was seen getting some work in with other inactive players under the guidance of the strength and conditioning staff. Then again on Tuesday, the Bills’ lone practice of the week, Hyde was again going through some running drills with injured members of the 53-man roster. After practice, The Athletic caught up with Hyde following the recent developments.

Hyde revealed that he was just cleared to run “a little bit,” and said he’s taking it one day at a time. But when asked if there was any possible hope of coming back this season, Hyde left the door open to the idea — a slight departure from when initially placed on injured reserve.

“I would love to. I would love to. We’ll see,” Hyde told The Athletic Tuesday. “It’s not really up to me. It’s kind of up to the doctors. Historically, no. But I’m not dealing with… those are other people, other situations. So, we’ll see what happens.”

The fact that Hyde didn’t immediately shut down the idea meant that a potential return this season is possible, even if it’s only a slight chance. Hyde’s reference to those “other people” and “other situations” is also pretty impactful. It’s also worth pointing out that players will always veer on the optimistic side, and there’s no doubt that Hyde would love to be a part of the season he and the organization have been building toward over the five previous seasons. But if the Bills did get Hyde back, it would be an incredible boost to a defense capable of excellent results without him. But there’s a long way to go and several things that have to go right before the idea becomes a reality.

This would be a true blessing

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

How is this possible though because I thought he was put on season ending IR?

There’s no such thing, unless you go on IR before the season starts.   Any player who goes on IR after they make the initial 53 can be eligible to return after 4 games 

On 11/23/2022 at 4:29 PM, Royale with Cheese said:

I train and compete in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.  I was back fully on the mats in 3 months after surgery.

That’s great… however you can work at your own pace and can limit your exposure while he is literally throwing his body at a high rate of speed into other people. It’s not the same. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/23/2022 at 8:27 AM, hondo in seattle said:

It would be an extremely beautiful thing if the Bills D was fully healthy for the playoffs.

Extremely beautiful and extremely unlikely.

One can hope.

More like one can Dream. I know Hyde would not “Tre White” his team  but I think we have a better chance of seeing God play safety for us this season.

I’d be really surprised if Hyde decides to play this year.

I’m involved in a lot of these neck surgeries. In a good surgeons hands they are delicate surgeries but not technically difficult. He must have only had 1 level fused because if he had more than one level the risk of re-injury by playing too soon is much greater and he wouldn’t even be thinking about it

The rods and screws are put in there to hold the 2 neck bones in place before the bone graft heals and fuses. Once it fuses I think it’s pretty low risk for re-injury with only one level done. How long that takes is variable, but its more than a few months to really fuse and strengthen. 

Given that football is such a violent sport, I’d be surprised if he gets cleared to take those hits so soon.

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He’s been running off the side at practice with Crowder.

Maybe?

A neck injury is nothing to mess around with, but if he's medically cleared, he would be a welcome addition for the playoff and hopefully Superbowl run!