Worst Thanksgiving ever

Thirdborn

11 hours ago, Thirdborn said:

I  was living on the lower east side of manhatten in the early eighties. no electricity, no heat, I celebrated Thanksgiving alone with a box of potato flakes and tap water.  TOP THAT!

Tap water? Oh we used to dream of tap water, I remember there was 13 of us living in a small shoe box in the middle of the road. We had to get up a half an hour before we went to bed and work 18 hours at the mill.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, muppy said:

nope I think your post wins the prize

lol

IDK - it wasn’t me but some old friends had a group of people for Thanksgiving at their first house. They were so proud to be entertaining like adults. They ate early and then settled in to watch football. Before too long they realize everybody has food poisoning……in their one bathroom house. 😱

Edited by Augie
  • Vomit 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Tomorrow will be rough for me. My 94 year old mom has been in and out of hospitals and nursing homes since Sept 3 when she took a bad fall, breaking her pelvis in two places. She has fallen multiple times since then. We host Thanksgiving and are expecting 17 for tomorrow (down from 25 last year). It should be 18, but even with skilled nursing she is falling if she tries to get out of the wheelchair. There are four steps up to our house, and she can’t do that. Even with a wheelchair she has been known to fall in the bathroom. Getting that old sucks. 

So, tomorrow is not only Thanksgiving, but also my mom’s 95th birthday. We will take turns visiting her in the nursing home, but it will be the first time she has not been able to join us for the holidays. She said she was “not invited” after talking to one of my sisters. I explained it was out of concern for her safety, but it’s still crushing both of our hearts. I’d have paid almost anything to have some skilled care to make this possible, but we were not able to line anything up on a holiday with limited notice since her latest fall. 

• Sad 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Augie, my thoughts are with you. Bless you and your mom and family.  I can empathize. My 96 year old mom ,:who still lives alone at home and can drive her car , just got out if the hospital ( she and my 76 year old sister who is married, both still live in southeastern Ohio in the Steubenville area, about 30 min from Pittsburgh and where  Dean Martin was from, but also is very cold during the winter)   For a bad episode of congestive heart failure. Luckily she is doing better , and my sister lives close enough to stop by when roads permit. But my sister just had a large surgery on her leg for recurrent melanoma ( sister was a teacher for 40 years who sunbathed in the summers off and oiled and cooked herself in the 60’s /  70’s before sunscreens we’re widely used ) and can’t  go pick up my mom now so thanksgiving my mom will be alone as she lives out in the country. 

To top it off I just turned 65 in July but a strange Medicare snafu fir this year splits my part b , which covers Drs visits , so it won’t kick in till 1/1;23, even tho part A started on 7/1/2022, my birthday month.   Hours on the phone with Medicare / SS didn’t resolve it. After 5 discs collapsed in my neck( no trauma , just aging I guess) my  urgent neck surgery was unsuccessful in returning feeling to my arms and hands and my balance is off , so I had to finally give up seeing patients in person after 40 years in medicine. Never thought I would miss working or being on call for Thanksgiving. I live in Jax , fl , and I can’t fly up to see my fam for the holidays as my cervical cord is still impinged and I’m  not supposed to lift more than 10 LBs cuz that pressure gets transferred to my neck and when I tried  lifting more , I begin losing motor function in my hands and left leg. Was supposed to have more surgery but tragically my neurosurgeon, who is responsible for me at least still being able to walk, rolled his suv crushing him and he is now a quad! I swear you can’t make this tragedy up.  So this Thanksgiving is the first  I can remember as my 96 year old mom will be spending alone as neither my sister or I can travel to be with her and with her recent CHF, she is not supposed to do much or be out in that bitter cold in Ohio right now. 

just wishing all you here good health, as it’s no cliche that good heal means everything ! Enjoy Time with your families and loved ones , as you never know when life can suddenly turn. Enjoy Thanksgiving and the Bills together and while we all want the Bills to win , the important thing is creating another memory of being together!  Happy Thanksgiving, and go Bills! 

Edited by DrPJax
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Tomorrow will be rough for me. My 94 year old mom has been in and out of hospitals and nursing homes since Sept 3 when she took a bad fall, breaking her pelvis in two places. She has fallen multiple times since then. We host Thanksgiving and are expecting 17 for tomorrow (down from 25 last year). It should be 18, but even with skilled nursing she is falling if she tries to get out of the wheelchair. There are four steps up to our house, and she can’t do that. Even with a wheelchair she has been known to fall in the bathroom. Getting that old sucks. 

So, tomorrow is not only Thanksgiving, but also my mom’s 95th birthday. We will take turns visiting her in the nursing home, but it will be the first time she has not been able to join us for the holidays. She said she was “not invited” after talking to one of my sisters. I explained it was out of concern for her safety, but it’s still crushing both of our hearts. I’d have paid almost anything to have some skilled care to make this possible, but we were not able to line anything up on a holiday with limited notice since her latest fall. 

I'm sorry brother.  I'm kind of in the same spot. Remember to care of yourself. You can't make a difference to anyone if you don't. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, gomper said:

I'm sorry brother.  I'm kind of in the same spot. Remember to care of yourself. You can't make a difference to anyone if you don't. 

I hope I don’t offend you if I say you sound like my wife.   😋

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Augie said:

My Mom HATED the nursing home after her broken hip fall so I have some empathy for you and Momma Augie. God Bless you all.  My family would bring pizza and wings to see her during Bills games until she passed.

Having your family caravan in to see her is genius and that will definitely help! I know your wife will make it happen . She has the muppy vote of confidence 🙂

PS: Is Momma Augie a Bills fan?

51 minutes ago, Augie said:

I hope I don’t offend you if I say you sound like my wife.   😋

OFFEND HIM? More like compliment him lets be real here

🙂

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, muppy said:

PS: Is Momma Augie a Bills fan?

She would take a thermos of coffee and sleep thru every game at the Rockpile. Then we moved in 1973, and 80,199 other screaming fans couldn’t stop her from taking a little nap. It was uncanny. 🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've never had any terrible Thanksgivings but there were a few when I was younger where I was pretty out of it from being out all night the night before and I just slept through the day.  I didn't think much of it at the time but now I look back at it and look at those as wasted Thanksgivings now that both of my grandparents who would always be at my parents house on Thanksgiving are gone, if I could go back in time I would have rather gotten a couple more quality Thanksgivings in with them than a couple random nights out but unfortunately a lot of times we don't gain that perspective on life until it's too late.

• Like (+1) 1

Five years ago I spent Thanksgiving with my now wife and my family with plans to visit her family the day after. We got a call that night that her father had fallen in the bathroom and was rushed the hospital. Two days later I'm in the hospital telling him I'll take care of his daughter as he takes his final breaths. Yet I don't know if he heard me since he wasn't responsive to anything those last few days. I only hope he did.

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/23/2022 at 4:35 AM, Thirdborn said:

I  was living on the lower east side of manhatten in the early eighties. no electricity, no heat, I celebrated Thanksgiving alone with a box of potato flakes and tap water.  TOP THAT!

There might be some big Bills fans out there due to their family dynamics are in households where they can’t watch todays game and missed the Cowboy one a few years ago

They might have a word with you 😂😆

We still haven't had our Thanksgiving Dinner yet, due to the fact that my mother had to go to the hospital last weekend for what turned out to be complications from dehydration...she wasn't drinking enough liquids. She was there for a day and a half before they released her on Sunday. I wore a mask every time I went to see her, but I noticed many of the nurses, doctors, and patients including my mother who is a consistent mask wearer in public, were not wearing masks. Sure enough, by Monday night she started having flu-like symptoms which spread to me and everyone else by Tuesday night(even though we got flu shots). I bearly had the energy to clap my hands a few times and get excited while watching the Bills game. We've all finally started feeling better today, so we are shooting for Sunday to be our Thanksgiving dinner. I guess we have something to be thankful for as we are all moving past this harsh flu strain. This was the first time in six years I've been sick with anything...not even a minor head cold, but I guess the things you can catch from a hospital can apparently be very strong!!

7 hours ago, Special K said:

We still haven't had our Thanksgiving Dinner yet, due to the fact that my mother had to go to the hospital last weekend for what turned out to be complications from dehydration...she wasn't drinking enough liquids. She was there for a day and a half before they released her on Sunday. I wore a mask every time I went to see her, but I noticed many of the nurses, doctors, and patients including my mother who is a consistent mask wearer in public, were not wearing masks. Sure enough, by Monday night she started having flu-like symptoms which spread to me and everyone else by Tuesday night(even though we got flu shots). I bearly had the energy to clap my hands a few times and get excited while watching the Bills game. We've all finally started feeling better today, so we are shooting for Sunday to be our Thanksgiving dinner. I guess we have something to be thankful for as we are all moving past this harsh flu strain. This was the first time in six years I've been sick with anything...not even a minor head cold, but I guess the things you can catch from a hospital can apparently be very strong!!

There's a reason for this.

It's because we were masked and isolated too long.  We can't live in a vacuum.  Not sure what the scientific thing is, but other diseases will come on strong when things open up. And that it's doing. Probably a good thing in the grand scheme of things...

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.