nfl personnel grouping frequency data

Beck Water

Anyone know of a site (pref. free) that provides these data? 

Sharp Football Stats used to, but seems to have stopped this season.

I have a hunch Bills personnel sets changed a lot last week vs. Browns and would like to confirm.  Looked to me like we were running more 2 TE sets (12) and 2 RB sets with Gilliam (21).

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Anyone know of a site (pref. free) that provides these data? 

Sharp Football Stats used to, but seems to have stopped this season.

I have a hunch Bills personnel sets changed a lot last week vs. Browns and would like to confirm.  Looked to me like we were running more 2 TE sets (12) and 2 RB sets with Gilliam (21).

Saw an article we were in 12 or 21 45% of snaps. https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/ken-dorsey-watch-bills-pony-package-worked-vs-browns/article_ec4da624-69e3-11ed-a126-3fe5b2e5b27e.html.  

Edited by freddyjj
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

Post the article, because this poster obviously can’t do their own research. 

I appreciate @freddyjj posting the link to that article - which I’d read, actually - but I’m looking for a site that has these data overall for the season, and for each week, which Sharp Football Stats used to provide.

No idea why I deserve the “obviously can’t do their own research” crack, but Hey, if it makes your day better, Have At It.

• Like (+1) 1

Cant find it week by week.  Best thing I could find on this is: https://www.nfeloapp.com/nfl-power-ratings/nfl-team-tendencies/

I use to look at sharp football for it too.

On a side note I use a mac with trackpad.  accidently tapped on that link while hovering.  That better not be anything bad @boyst

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

I don't have that @Beck Water but I have been tracking Quintin Morris's snap share as a proxy. After being inactive week 1 Morris was then used pretty consistently between a quarter and a third of the offensive snaps through weeks 2-5 with a season high of 68% in week 5 vs the Steelers (for completeness that was the game Knox missed and Morris started). Since then he has been in the mid-teens % wise, except for a high of 21% vs the Jets. This past week he was up at 42%. 

Which I think supports a) your instinct that we were in more two tight end sets the past week and b) my instinct that the two tight end wrinkle seemed to have been abandoned the last few weeks before the Browns game. 

I think the interesting question is - why? Did they decide his performance against the Steelers was poor and so dialled him back? Was it opposition based? Or did they just get away from that personnel grouping? I don't think Dorsey has brought a lot of wrinkles to the offense so far which is why the one positive thing he had added - the two tight end stuff - disappearing felt odd to me. My other instinctive feeling is he has had Josh under center at a higher rate than Daboll, and I am not sure that has worked so well. If anyone has the numbers of that - under center v shotgun 2020/21 v 2022 I'd be interested to see them. 

I have started a new job the last month so haven't quite had the time to listen to the coordinator pressers as I normally would. Has any of this been raised with Dorsey by the media does anyone know? These are the questions they should be asking rather than the cliched "how have you seen James Cook grow so far?" fluff. 

Maybe someone can page Wawrow and get him to ask about the two tight end stuff for us?

EDIT: FWIW other than week 1 when he was used a third of the time, and the Vikings game where he was only used 5% of the time Gilliam's usage has been consistently mid-teens to mid 20s on a week to week basis. 

Edited by GunnerBill

Whenever I hear about personnel groupings I cant help but want more information.  What I mean is you will hear a team is in 12 personnel x% of the time.   That tells you 1 RB, 2 TE's and 2 WR's....all it tells you is the position of the players on the field.  What it does not tell you is the lineup.   You could be in 12 and have a spread formation.  With position flexibility nowadays I think it would be good to provide groupings and formation.  If you have Kelce and are in 12 and he is always split out wide, effectively this is more like 13 because Kelce is such a great receiver.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.