Pro Football Hall of Fame announces 28 Modern-Era Semi-Finalists for Class of 2023, inc Bills player

chongli

First Year of Eligibility (5 players):

offensive linemen: Jahri Evans and Joe Thomas

defensive lineman: Dwight Freeney

linebacker: James Harrison

defensive back: Darrelle Revis

All Modern-Era Semi-Finalists (28 players):

CB Eric Allen

DE Jared Allen

OT Willie Anderson

DB Ronde Barber

WR Anquan Boldin

WR Henry Ellard - final year of regular eligibility; first time making it to the semi-finals

G Jahri Evans

LB London Fletcher - first time making it to the semi-finals; former Buffalo Bills player

DE Dwight Freeney

LB James Harrison

S Rodney Harrison 

PR/KR/WR Devin Hester

WR Torry Holt

WR Andre Johnson

CB Albert Lewis - final year of regular eligibility

DE/LB Robert Mathis

CB Darrelle Revis

WR Steve Smith Sr. 

RB Fred Taylor

OT Joe Thomas

LB Zach Thomas

WR Hines Ward

DE/LB DeMarcus Ware

RB Ricky Watters

WR Reggie Wayne

DT Vince Wilfork 

LB Patrick Willis

S Darren Woodson 

Already Nominated as Finalists:

Seniors:

Ken Riley

Joe Klecko

Chuck Howley

Contributor:

Don Coryell

The committee will trim down the Modern-Era semi-finalists to 15 finalists in January, then to 10 then 5 at the Super Bowl.

Edited by chongli

Joe Thomas is a top 5 LT of all time

He is a first ballot lock. 

I would vote in Thomas, Revis, and Hester. That’s it. Those are the only three worthy of HOF.

Johnson, Wayne, and Willis are very close to HOF level and given they typically vote in the max I think all three have a good shot of being enshrined. 

3 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Devin Hester!!

Not until Tasker gets in. 

2 minutes ago, Snappysnackcakes said:

London Fletcher is deserving. Compare his stats to Ray Lewis and you’ll be very surprised. Side note: if London was on this team…

Agreed. I've seen them in the past and known that they standup. 

Fletcher was also a quality teammate and solid leader. 

• Agree 2

I think at the very least a case can be made for:

DB Ronde Barber

WR Henry Ellard

DE Dwight Freeney

LB James Harrison

WR Torry Holt

WR Andre Johnson

CB Darrelle Revis

RB Fred Taylor

OT Joe Thomas

LB Zach Thomas

DE/LB DeMarcus Ware

DT Vince Wilfork

Honestly most of those feel like locks except for maybe Ellard and Taylor.

Edit: other posts have convinced me on Allen and Hester

Edited by JohnBonhamRocks
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I feel like Revis is a lock.

He became the gold standard of CBs in the modern era.

Devin Hester put the special teams world on it's head.

Punt return TD leader in NFL history.

seirous question, does that mean Cordarrelle Patterson deserves the HOF? League leader for kick off return TDs in NFL history. I’d say no…does this change things for Hester?

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Punt return TD leader in NFL history.

seirous question, does that mean Cordarrelle Patterson deserves the HOF? League leader for kick off return TDs in NFL history. I’d say no…does this change things for Hester?

Hester was more electric and memorable. He had 6 return TDs in one year. Patterson at most has had 2 in a year.

Hester also has the most TD returns ever with 20. Patterson most likely won't catch up. He's only at 9. Hester was able to do both kicks and punts.

Hester was super impactful and head and shoulders above his peers. You can’t tell the story of the NFL without talking about Hester.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, boyst said:

Not until Tasker gets in. 

Oh, stop it.  Hester was about 10 billion times more effective and impactful than Tasker.  He actually scored points and gave his offense great field position.

Tasker ... not so much.  Let it go, man.  Tasker does not belong in the Hall of Fame.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

3 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Tasker on the old guy list now?

Yeah, he was last eligible for the Moder Era nominees for the Class of 2022. This year, he didn't even make it to the semi-finals as a first-time senior. Chuck Howley, Joe Klecko, and Ken Riley are the three senior nominees for this year, and each needs 80% of the votes to get in in January.

Edited by chongli

• chongli changed the title to Pro Football Hall of Fame announces 28 Modern-Era Nominees for Class of 2023, including Bills player
8 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

A lot of guys that belong in the Hall of Very Good. 

HOF: James Harrison, Revis, Andre Johnson, Henry Ellard. 

Agreed. It's been like that for years. Too many people going into the hall and diluting it for the truly great players. By this point they need a hall within the hall.

• Agree 2

• chongli changed the title to Pro Football Hall of Fame announces 28 Modern-Era Semi-Finalists for Class of 2023, inc Bills player

I will make my annual pitch for Jared Allen. One of the most underrated players of his generation, certainly in terms of media / fan hype. A two-time NFL sack leader, who in 2011 came within 0.5 sacks of equalling Strahan's single season record, a 4 time first team all-pro and a 5 time pro-bowler. The only eligible guy above him on the all-time sack list (Allen is 12th) who is not a HoFer is DeMarcus Ware (who is also on this list and will make it in within the next couple of years). I think he suffers in terms of recognition from fans because he was an unheralded 4th round pick (was later traded for a 1st and two 3rds) and played for two (at the time) relatively unfashionable franchises in terms of the Chiefs and the Vikings who didn't win a ton. But he was a dominant player in his prime.

• Like (+1) 1

Coryell should have been enshrined years ago. His offense is the foundation of the modern NFL and transformed the game itself. Criminal he was not voted in while still alive.  Every year I have posted Flores and Coryell were most deserving

They finally let Flores in. Now do the right thing and enshrine Coryell. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.