McKenzie's Place in the Offense Going Forward

Warriorspikes51

22 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Hines can be "WR/HB"

I could be mistaken, but I don't think the Bills see Hines as a WR

In any event...Hines has been active all 3 of his games as a Bill, without inactivating McKenzie, which returns me to my question: you want the Bills to inactivate McKenzie, the Bills want 5 WR active on game day, who you want active at WR instead?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, H2o said:

I say let Shakir get his run as the starting Slot. He's looked decent when given the opportunity and we already know what we have in McKenzie at this point. We should still use McKenzie, but he's just not a starter in this league. 

46 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Why is Shakir suddenly not an option?   He made plays in Baltimore that helped us win the game and was obviously good against the Steelers 

Shakir has had a consistent ~15 snaps per game, 57 snaps in the last 4 games.  He has 1 reception on 4 targets in those games, for 6 yds.

We all know that the receiver can't throw himself the ball, so that's not the measure of whether or not the guy is getting open and deserves more snaps, but I'd like to know when he's been seen to "look decent" and show himself able to get open in the slot and all that stuff?

4 hours ago, NickelCity said:

Can we just rename the thread "Shakir" and try to figure out why the ***** we're not playing him more?

Go For It!   Break out the all-22 and go on a "Shakir Watch".  Solve the mystery - explain what he's doing on each of those 57 snaps and figure it out.

Edited by Beck Water

5 hours ago, fan_in_tx said:

I would add that we are not getting the production from McKenzie, that we got from our former slot receiver who I shall not name due to the political leanings of this board.  Either it is the play calling or simply McKenzie can't get open in the slot not sure which is the cause. 

Ya mean the guy who,signed on with Tampa and retired because he no longer has it????  

7 hours ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

We're so strapped for WRs at the moment with Kumerow/Crowder/Stevenson all on IR. I can't imagine making him inactive, but I could see decreasing the snap count and being more selective about his usage.  

McKenzie's snap count did decrease last week against the Browns, from ~50-60% to 40%.  As far as I can tell, that's because the Bills gave more snaps to Quintin Morris (from ~20% to 42% of the snaps) and to Reggie Gilliam (from ~15% to 25% of the snaps), not because they gave more snaps to another WR.

In fact, Diggs snaps also decreased from ~84% to 66%, which leads me to believe it was due to a more run-focused game plan using heavier sets.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, fan_in_tx said:

I would add that we are not getting the production from McKenzie, that we got from our former slot receiver who I shall not name due to the political leanings of this board.  Either it is the play calling or simply McKenzie can't get open in the slot not sure which is the cause. 

he drops balls and has mental errors

and then makes a decent play.

Not sure what to do with him

but to compare, he does have a the Big potential for YAC etc.

I want Shakir to take over the slot and find another superspeed kid in the draft

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

McKenzie's snap count did decrease last week against the Browns, from ~50-60% to 40%.  As far as I can tell, that's because the Bills gave more snaps to Quintin Morris (from ~20% to 42% of the snaps) and to Reggie Gilliam (from ~15% to 25% of the snaps), not because they gave more snaps to another WR.

In fact, Diggs snaps also decreased from ~84% to 66%, which leads me to believe it was due to a more run-focused game plan using heavier sets.

and that worked.
I McK is a situational player. Not a slot receiver. sorry kids
Love him but he is not the answer.
 get the "run" game going and we (Josh) might see him getting open more often and sprinting past everyone  for the score !

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

he drops balls and has mental errors

and then makes a decent play.

Not sure what to do with him

but to compare, he does have a the Big potential for YAC etc.

I want Shakir to take over the slot and find another superspeed kid in the draft

You think Hines could take the “gadget” plays McKenzie has been running?

Just now, atlbillsfan1975 said:

You think Hines could take the “gadget” plays McKenzie has been running?

Nope. I dont really. That is going to remain a McK thing.

I am hoping for Shakir in the slot as a possession receiver, and Mr Hines returning + 
 what you say ?

1 minute ago, BUFFALOBART said:

If we needed 9 on 3rd down, Bease would get you 7. No YAC.

that was after his knees were done. Before that he would get over and come back for the nine. still no yac lol

53 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Nope. I dont really. That is going to remain a McK thing.

I am hoping for Shakir in the slot as a possession receiver, and Mr Hines returning + 
 what you say ?

that was after his knees were done. Before that he would get over and come back for the nine. still no yac lol

I think Hines has all the speed and elusiveness that McKenzie has on a bigger frame. McKenzie’s deal is much easier to get out of after this season than Hines’s contract. I believe the Bills see Hines as a punt and kick returner/gadget player moving forward. 

10 hours ago, fan_in_tx said:

McK doesn't get the game - enough said!

3 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I think Hines has all the speed and elusiveness that McKenzie has on a bigger frame. McKenzie’s deal is much easier to get out of after this season than Hines’s contract. I believe the Bills see Hines as a punt and kick returner/gadget player moving forward. 

?  Neither player has a deal that is hard to get out of next year and there is no appreciable difference between them.

McKenzie basically got a 1 yr contract with about half his 2022 salary guaranteed in addition to signing bonus.  So he carries a minimal dead cap hit in 2023, and the Bills could move on if they wish.

Hines contract is even easier for the Bills to walk away from, as his amortized signing bonus was left behind with the Colts and he has no guarantees. 

But, if the Bills want to keep him, they either need to re-negotiate or find some serious cap space, because he's owed $4.45M next year and $5.1M in 2024. 

This season, $4.45M would give Hines the 12th highest cap hit on the team - a bit rich for a PR/KR and gadget guy.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.