McKenzie's Place in the Offense Going Forward

Warriorspikes51

McKenzie has 1-2 games a year where he is a huge difference maker.  This was one.  He's either being underutilized or there just are some games where the defense is scheme specific for him to be successful?  Lions were doubling Diggs a ton thorough 3 quarters alllowing McKenzie to be open.  Strange to me was the absence of Knox until Q4??

1 minute ago, Simon said:

This is simply not true, imo

Brown, Morse, Bates, Saffold RAS are all pretty high, no?

Saffold seems to be a weak link right now.. so I’m sure his score isn’t reflective, but I’m pretty sure every breakdown of our OL cited their athleticism. 

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

TODAY, is the key, operative word!! Needs consistency, WEEKLY

That's very true for the Bills offense, but it's equally true of Davis, Knox, Allen and even Diggs.  There has been a lot of inconsistency.

Anyway for those who are into such things, McKenzie was on the field a lot more yesterday - 56 snaps, 73%. 

I'd still love a pointer to data on personnel sets, but it seems we ran a LOT of 11 (3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE) but also mixed in some 4 WR and maybe even a couple 5 WR sets, was I seeing things?

Shakir saw a season-high 34 snaps (44%)

9 hours ago, Simon said:

The reason the Bills don't (can't) run a screen game has nothing to do with their backs, their OL is just not built for it.

I could be wrong, but I thought it also had to do with how teams play against Allen as a dual-threat QB.

Edited by Beck Water

14 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Brown, Morse, Bates, Saffold RAS are all pretty high, no?

Saffold seems to be a weak link right now.. so I’m sure his score isn’t reflective, but I’m pretty sure every breakdown of our OL cited their athleticism. 

Agreed, they're pretty athletic.

Eric Wood I believe explained the screen game woes while Daboll was our coach.

He (I'm simplifying/paraphrasing) essentially said that it isn't getting practiced enough. Running screens takes a lot of time of practice to get the timing down. He went on to say how much Chan Gailey had them practice screens.

So the lack of screens, on the surface, makes me believe that it's not that the oline can't do it, or that Josh/our backs can't do it. But simply maybe our OCs don't want to devote entire practices to get the timing down.  Or maybe they have some other alternative reason.

Which stinks either way. I think screens would do numbers, especially with Cook and Hines now.

Edited by delirious
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/22/2022 at 12:47 PM, Chandler#81 said:

Wade, our British soccer player, is who I was referring to. Never played a regular season game, but had more common sense and actual ability than McKittrick ever has, imo.

He played Rugby 🏉, soccer is a different game, that and he had pretty bad field awareness, as was shown during his limited preseason exposure, just sayin, in this case your opinion in to be questioned, 😁👍

• Eyeroll 1

35 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's very true for the Bills offense, but it's equally true of Davis, Knox, Allen and even Diggs.  There has been a lot of inconsistency.

Anyway for those who are into such things, McKenzie was on the field a lot more yesterday - 56 snaps, 73%. 

I'd still love a pointer to data on personnel sets, but it seems we ran a LOT of 11 (3 WR, 1 RB, 1 TE) but also mixed in some 4 WR and maybe even a couple 5 WR sets, was I seeing things?

I could be wrong, but I thought it also had to do with how teams play against Allen as a dual-threat QB.

Yeah. You can't get caught as far up field or you create rushing lanes so it's harder to bait the linemen too far up field.

43 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Why wouldn't Dorsey run some designed roll outs with Josh? It could give the option to throw some reverse screens. Dorsey needs to be more creative. Also do away with that inside run where the RB and WR almost collides in one another. Saw it twice yesterday

27 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Why wouldn't Dorsey run some designed roll outs with Josh? It could give the option to throw some reverse screens. Dorsey needs to be more creative. Also do away with that inside run where the RB and WR almost collides in one another. Saw it twice yesterday

That sentence scares me for multiple reasons.

1.  If Dorsey need to be more creative then that raises obvious concerns about the Bills' short term success (super bowl this year)
  2. Concerns about long term success - if Dorsey needs to be more creative, what does that say about the other coaches that may have a helping hand in the preparation - for Dorsey?  Specifically Joe Brady, who is supposed to be an up and coming coach.  Does Brady have a helping hand in setting up and designing plays for Dorsey?  Is Dorsey taking full responsibility in play designs?

All questions I have that there aren't open answers to, but I agree with you

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.