Bills version of Butt Fumble

corta765

6 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

McKelvin fumble was our butt fumble.    To beat the dreaded Brady Patriots on MNF to break their winning string versus us. The Clincher was there was no real reason for that to ever happen, game was effectively won.

Not part of the drought era though.

IIRC He actually did that in two different games.  Had the game won.  Just receive punt and run the clock out.  Boom fumble. 

48 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I guess it wasn't the exact same thing...basically the guy caught the ball in the endzone and just flipped it to the ref without actually downing it, which made it a fumble.

Be that as it may, the ref knew the rule which is why he didn't move to pick up the ball.  Actually, it probably should have been called an illegal forward pass, which would have made it a safety and given us the ball.

44 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

I think I've got it.

In 2003 the Bills were 9-6 and just needed to beat the Steelers 2nd string players to clinch playoffs.

Bills were winning 17-16 midway through the 3rd quarter.

The Bills drove down to the 1 yard line, didn't have the balls to go for it on 4th down, and Rian Lindell missed a 28 yard field goal.

The Steelers broke a 58 yard run the next play and never gave up the lead again, as Drew Bledsoe stood in the pocket and got destroyed by backup D-linemen and Linebackers the rest of the game.

That cowardly field goal and ensuing miss perfectly encapsulates a 20-year drought.

I was in that end zone where Lindell missed the kick, after making a snap decision that morning to go to the game and pay $125 to scalp a ticket and sit among a bunch of ####### Steeler fans.  Then I watched Willie ***** Parker break off that run after receiving a handoff from Brian ***** St. Pierre.

It was awful.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

Someone help me with the details here but I think it was Losman who on his last play as a Bill, which was something like 4th and 18, ran out of bounds after a short gain rather than get tackled.  That was our butt fumble in my foggy recollection.

This is the Losman butt fumble if there ever was one.  

2nd 5, up by 3.  Losman was in and all he was asked to do was kill some clock.  A first down wins it.  A punt probably wins it.  Instead a fumble 6.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I guess it wasn't the exact same thing...basically the guy caught the ball in the endzone and just flipped it to the ref without actually downing it, which made it a fumble.

actually, later it was discussed and by rule should have been an illegal forward pass in the end zone so a safety and Texans punt to Bills down now 15-0. Bills win that game if they get that right.

edit: you can hear the ref start to say "I've got an illegal fo" before his mic is off and black opps #1 NFL guy runs into his face to tell him to change the call before black opps #2 then also gets in his face. F'rs. Probably spawn of the dumbass secretary in Bills office who interrupted Jim Kelly singing to take call from his agent as USFL offer came in.

Edited by cba fan

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

https://larrybrownsports.com/football/ron-parker-forces-fumble-strip-bills-video/246855

Cork Gaines

click on cork gaines in first pic top left corner

that td would have put Bills up 20-3 in 3rd quarter. Instead, KC scores two TD's in 4th Q to win 17-13.

Edited by cba fan

10 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

McKelvin fumble was our butt fumble.    To beat the dreaded Brady Patriots on MNF to break their winning string versus us. The Clincher was there was no real reason for that to ever happen, game was effectively won.

Not part of the drought era though.

I dunno.

I certainly felt like drinking a LOT after that play.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

The point people on here made at the time was that the returner did not properly declare that he was killing the play. Under the old rules, you always had to take a knee to kill the play in the past 10? years it became like a waving motion to indicated that you are not returning it. The returner did neither and technically that should have been a TD. A 20-0 lead might have been nice at the start of the 2nd half!!

20 hours ago, corta765 said:

The ringer had a good piece on how the butt fumble has represented the Jets struggles and problems as a franchise for the last decade. Here is the link for a laugh:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/11/22/23471718/new-york-jets-butt-fumble-10-year-anniversary-mark-sanchez

It got me thinking what would've been the Bills version for at least the drought era. My top 3:

1. Stevie TD drop 2010 - literally dropped a GW TD pass and proceeded to blame god

2. McKelvin fumble in 09 MNF opener

3. Losman fumble TD in NY 2008

Music City Miracle.  It lead directly from being one of the most consistent and best franchises over more than a decade, to a losing team and 17 year drought.

• Agree 1

The first thing that came to my mind was the Lonnie Johnson fumble, getting killed running up field after a catch on a fake punt.  I personally never understood the level to which he was excoriated for the play, but it became a touchstone for a lot of Bills fans against him and some of the awful play near the start of that crappy era of the Bills

Edited by stevewin

23 hours ago, corta765 said:

The ringer had a good piece on how the butt fumble has represented the Jets struggles and problems as a franchise for the last decade. Here is the link for a laugh:

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/11/22/23471718/new-york-jets-butt-fumble-10-year-anniversary-mark-sanchez

It got me thinking what would've been the Bills version for at least the drought era. My top 3:

1. Stevie TD drop 2010 - literally dropped a GW TD pass and proceeded to blame god

Sorry there is no equivalent for any team to the BUTT FUMBLE! IMO #2 on your list was worse since Buffalo had the game won until he had a brain cramp and ran the ball back and fumbled the game away.. the Butt fumble they were already losing 14-0 and well they stunk!

On 11/22/2022 at 10:16 AM, corta765 said:

Tyrod Taylor not lining up behind the center. Bar None lol

• Haha (+1) 1

On 11/22/2022 at 5:29 PM, Arkady Renko said:

It was a rule change made later for safety purposes.  

I remember a last game of (bad) season where the last play (?) was a ball in Bills endzone after a kickoff, the Bills didn"t touched it, the Jets (?) recovered it and it was TD

Perhaps 10 years ago ?

(edit : sorry burned)

Edited by Repulsif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.