Hines elite returning ability shined vs Browns

JerseyBills

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

His speed along the sideline on that one return was elite. 

Putting Hines and Cook on the field together could really cause some problems for defenses.....   SCREEN GAME PLEASE  

when was the last time the Bills ran a successful RB screen? I would argue it has been more than 20 years ago. I don’t get it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think the plan should be Cook as lead back in ‘23 after an off-season of S&C and pass pro training.   Then get with Hines and re-work that contract.  

Cook/Hines with a Duke Johnson type and mid/late round rookie to round out the room. 

Cook getting stronger is key.  Dude is small, but that hasn’t stopped other backs.  When he hits a hole he can flat  out run.  It’s when he has to make a hole that has been a little bit of a problem, not strong enough yet and gets pushed around a bit.

Singletary most likely won’t be back next season based on being a FA.  Hines looks legit.  Has nice speed and looks like he can get out of trouble.  Maybe have to rework his contract?  Cook is here to stay.  And I feel Duke is serviceable enough to keep.

Yeah, the Bills coaching staff (McDermott and Dorsey) and local media talk about using Cook and Hines more like its a science experiment, in which you need test tube procedure that is 97-steps long to get him involved. 

Balance, game flow, script, too much on their plate. 

And what we've found out is that simply handing the ball off to Cook works. 

The same should be true of Hines. The guy has caught 236 passes in his career. This shouldn't be an impossible ask to get him the ball 4 times a game. Once a quarter. 

But with McDermott is always some slow, phased-approach, this step-by-step chemical equation. 

My fear is Hines has been identified by McDermott as a special teamer, and he's like imprisoned there. He's supposed to be more than T. Jones Part II. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

when was the last time the Bills ran a successful RB screen? I would argue it has been more than 20 years ago. I don’t get it. 

Thought 20 years seemed a bit much.  Looked it up, and that’s around the Chan Gailey years.  Yep, that would be the era we last ran legit screens

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I would give him McKenzies role right now. 

He should be in motion every single play. Rather he’s coming out of the backfield or lining up in slot. 
It was nice they used him and cook together and it looked pretty successful for cook. 

This is what I'm saying. You have 4 guys (Cook, Hines, McKenzie, Shakir). 

Start getting them in there. 

Of course Diggs #1, then Davis #2, Knox #3. 

But just that constant eye-candy, that constant movement, backs leaking out, quicker decision making and throws. 

It's just so static all the time. 

• Like (+1) 4

17 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

This is what I'm saying. You have 4 guys (Cook, Hines, McKenzie, Shakir). 

Start getting them in there. 

Of course Diggs #1, then Davis #2, Knox #3. 

But just that constant eye-candy, that constant movement, backs leaking out, quicker decision making and throws. 

It's just so static all the time. 

Agree with all you said.  Also, each is a little different in what could be their best usage.

Should complement how to attack each opponent's weaknesses.

Dorsey still has a lot to learn about using what he has and mixing it up to keep the D's guessing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

We're more like the Green Bay Packers with Rodgers and Adams. 

We have one WR that dominates targets and receptions. 

Great in the regular season, but that has fizzled in the Playoffs. 

The Dolphins are different because they have a consistent run-game now, and two WR aces. 

So, in some respects, we need to mimic the Chiefs, who get 5 WRs involved behind Kelce. The Bills get to #3 behind Diggs and Davis and can't figure out how to utilize anyone. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

We're more like the Green Bay Packers with Rodgers and Adams. 

We have one WR that dominates targets and receptions. 

Great in the regular season, but that has fizzled in the Playoffs. 

The Dolphins are different because they have a consistent run-game now, and two WR aces. 

So, in some respects, we need to mimic the Chiefs, who get 5 WRs involved behind Kelce. The Bills get to #3 behind Diggs and Davis and can't figure out how to utilize anyone. 

This is a very interesting take.....I'm inclined to agree with all of it. 

Knox should be the #3 option. Especially with his salary.  He also warrants more looks with how he played against the Browns.

Shakir, Cook and Hines need to become the other options immediately. They all have good YAC ability and the Bills were supposedly focused on that coming into this season 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

His speed along the sideline on that one return was elite. 

Putting Hines and Cook on the field together could really cause some problems for defenses.....   SCREEN GAME PLEASE  

I’d like to see him carry the ball too. Some wheel routes

Edited by Solomon Grundy
  • Like (+1) 1

Too bad the offensive coordinator can’t scheme him into the offense. He’s coming up on his 4th game with the Bills and they still can’t figure out how to get him touches in space.

No reason at all why Hines and Cook should not be on the field together more often. 

Yet fans want to continue to blame the receivers outside of Diggs for the offensive woes. It’s time for Dorsey to take a hard look in the mirror. 

Edited by Iverwig
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, Iverwig said:

Too bad the offensive coordinator can scheme him into the offense. He’s coming up on his 4th game with the Bills and they still can’t figure out how to get him touches in space.

No reason at all why Hines and Cook should not be on the field together more often. 

Yet fans want to continue to blame the receivers outside of Diggs for the offensive woes. It’s time for Dorsey to take a hard look in the mirror. 

Our coaching staff loves to talk about how smart Hines is, how hard he works on his craft. 

I looked it up, as a rookie 4th Rounder, first game, 5 carries and caught 7 balls. 

He's in his 5th year now and with the Bills he has 2 touches in 3 games. 

Stuff like that doesn't add up with the Bills. 

We heard how Cook wasn't ready, didn't want to overload him. 

We give him the ball because the Browns can't stop the run, and poof, magic, he's good. 

The Bills coaches are too obsessed with game flow and balance and the gravitational pull of the moon. 

I

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Using him only on returns is a colossal waste. And unlike Reid, it shouldn't take Dorsey a month to figure out how to use him on offense.  Wheelroutes, dumpoffs,  screens, slot wr? Anything Ken, figure it out  dude.

I honestly don’t know if we’re capable of running a screen.  

They just end up with Allen chucking it into the dirt as the play looks like a dumpster fire. 

• Agree 2

The guy looks so good with the ball in his hands.  Is he at all capable of playing the slot, or is that just not in his skillset?  Hard to imagine him being that big of a drop off from McKenzie as a route runner and he's clearly better than him in space. 

It's honestly pretty frustrating to see his talent being wasted.  What's interesting is that Colts fans had the same complaints about his usage in Indy.  So, what is it that the coaches see that we fans aren't picking up on?

1 hour ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Our coaching staff loves to talk about how smart Hines is, how hard he works on his craft. 

I looked it up, as a rookie 4th Rounder, first game, 5 carries and caught 7 balls. 

He's in his 5th year now and with the Bills he has 2 touches in 3 games. 

Stuff like that doesn't add up with the Bills. 

We heard how Cook wasn't ready, didn't want to overload him. 

We give him the ball because the Browns can't stop the run, and poof, magic, he's good. 

The Bills coaches are too obsessed with game flow and balance and the gravitational pull of the moon. 

I

Maybe, just maybe Cook is shining now because of the very thing you mentioned, they waited until he was ready.

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Hines on returns was our best Offensive weapon and he didnt even have an Offensive touch at that point. The field position he was giving us was crucial.

Get this dude in the game plan already!

They kept having run the fake jet sweep. I'd expect one of those coming soon, maybe against NE

3 minutes ago, Ta111 said:

Maybe, just maybe Cook is shining now because of the very thing you mentioned, they waited until he was ready.

Maybe, but he was showing this ability early. 

He was 5.0 yards per carry before Cleveland. 

And 15 ypc before Cleveland (juiced by that 41-yarder against Green Bay). 

2 hours ago, davefan66 said:

Cook getting stronger is key.  Dude is small, but that hasn’t stopped other backs.  When he hits a hole he can flat  out run.  It’s when he has to make a hole that has been a little bit of a problem, not strong enough yet and gets pushed around a bit.

Singletary most likely won’t be back next season based on being a FA.  Hines looks legit.  Has nice speed and looks like he can get out of trouble.  Maybe have to rework his contract?  Cook is here to stay.  And I feel Duke is serviceable enough to keep.

I’m with ya.  Cook looking good. Extreme patience with the ball in his hands.  He glides out there.  While Hines explodes everywhere he goes. I love the possibilities of these two.  Hopefully Dorsey is putting some packages together for the stretch run.  

I’d be very happy with Duke as our RB3.  Considering our cap sitch going forward, we’re going to need good value contracts.  Solid, versatile pro that would also prevent us from using another draft pick on a RB.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.