Hines elite returning ability shined vs Browns

JerseyBills

This dude is electric in space and really can be an X factor on this team, even if it is mainly for his returning ability. 

Not to say he won't have an impact on O but with Motor getting 70% of the snaps and Cook running with confidence,  he might just not have many opportunities 

This is extremely important for a SB run and can totally change the momentum of a game with big time returns and just adds another element to this team

Only issue is his contract.  It's about 1.88 mil this year but jumps to 4.4 mil next year and 5.1 in 24.

I'm not sure if he's worth it long term but he certainly adds a big time element that was lacking this year and worth the 6th and Moss.

Edited by JerseyBills
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Electric is right.  Now let’s learn how to use him in the pass/run game.  

The browns cover 2 shelled is almost the entire game.  We decided that Knox was the best underneath option this past week.  He played well and did the job, but Hines and/or cook would be more dangerous and could force teams away from defending us in that way.  That was a miserable first half of offense on Sunday (minus the last drive).  That defense still gives us fits even though we’ve added speed @ RB.  

hopefully Dorsey figures it out in time to make the playoffs and the make our run.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Electric is right.  Now let’s learn how to use him in the pass/run game.  

The browns cover 2 shelled is almost the entire game.  We decided that Knox was the best underneath option this past week.  He played well and did the job, but Hines and/or cook would be more dangerous and could force teams away from defending us in that way.  That was a miserable first half of offense on Sunday (minus the last drive).  That defense still gives us fits even though we’ve added speed @ RB.  

hopefully Dorsey figures it out in time to make the playoffs and the make our run.

more Play-action and Josh rolling out 

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Agree 2

I think the plan should be Cook as lead back in ‘23 after an off-season of S&C and pass pro training.   Then get with Hines and re-work that contract.  

Cook/Hines with a Duke Johnson type and mid/late round rookie to round out the room. 

• Like (+1) 1

The return game was the one piece that was clearly missing. Huge improvement!

I like what we're doing with Motor and Cook, and would like to see Hines take some McKittrick gadget plays.

But really need to get Knox and Shakir more involved in the passing game on a consistent basis. 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

So the proverbial million dollar question is when is this staff going to utilize him in the offense and take advantage of his speed?

There were several plays during the Cowboys/Vikings game when they unleashed Tony Pollard down the sideline (including one for a long TD) when I said to myself why can't we ever do this?

• Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

So the proverbial million dollar question is when is this staff going to utilize him in the offense and take advantage of his speed?

There were several plays during the Cowboys/Vikings game when they unleashed Tony Pollard down the sideline (including one for a long TD) when I said to myself why can't we ever do this?

Yea. That’s a long developing play. Our OL stinks. 

other thing is teams play 2 deep / man underneath - which can be dicey to attack w a rb wheel 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

The Bills tried this against the Jets. Josh overthrew him down the sideline. They should try it again.

52 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

His speed along the sideline on that one return was elite. 

Putting Hines and Cook on the field together could really cause some problems for defenses.....   SCREEN GAME PLEASE  

Mckenzie in some jet motion too.  

Baltimore does some pistol stuff where they will have backs on either side and the motion man jetting behind QB.  It's all weird eye candy but if you aren't prepared for it, it can be difficult to defend.  

Edited by Bleeding Bills Blue

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

The Bills tried this against the Jets. Josh overthrew him down the sideline. They should try it again.

And again and again quite frankly.

Because as teams start to key in on Diggs someone else is going to have to shine for this passing attack to truly be dangerous again and still don't trust Davis despite a solid outing against the Browns.

7 minutes ago, balln said:

Yea. That’s a long developing play. Our OL stinks. 

other thing is teams play 2 deep / man underneath - which can be dicey to attack w a rb wheel 

Usually it means angle routes.  You can do a flare too where if they're in zone they're basically forced to play off of it, in which case you get 1x1s and with good blocking it can be a pretty big play with little to no complicated play design.  

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Bleeding Bills Blue said:

Mckenzie in some jet motion too.  

Baltimore does some pistol stuff where they will have backs on either side and the motion man jetting behind QB.  It's all weird eye candy but if you aren't prepared for it, it can be difficult to defend.  

The only motion I want McKenzie in is off this roster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

The only motion I want McKenzie in is off this roster.

That is an exaggeration.  He hasn't been everything Buffalo needs of him, but as i understand hes a good teammate and has made plenty of plays for the team.  Why don't you want Davis off the roster if we're looking at players making mental mistakes?  

He has 4 TDs all in the RZ as of today, and our team is struggling in the red zone... You can give some of his snaps to Shakir, but hes faster and more dynamic than him as a runner after the catch.  You can give some others to hines and cook.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.